2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Damaged Moulding Around Rear Window -- New 550

01-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
AT LAW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550xDrive M Sport

Damaged Moulding Around Rear Window -- New 550

I took delivery of a brand new 2015 550 M Sport over the New Year.

Great vehicle and great dealer to handle the transaction.

However, I noticed the moulding around the rear window appears to have been
damaged during the delivery preparation. It is scuffed and lightly torn on the top side. I assume it was done by the delivery prep guys.

The local dealer advised the rear window would have to be removed in order to replace the moulding.

I am not overly excited to have the rear window removed and put back in the car on a brand new 550. I can foresee a number of issues with this.
I am inclined to just live with it.

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of folks. Leave it or have it replaced?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT LAW View Post

Thanks.
My $0.02, it's really not a big deal for them, I would just have it replaced. Sure you will feel it's mildly "violated" car's "brand new feel" but that'll go away within a day or two. The scratch will probably drive you nuts to look at it every day, at least until you get another scuff somewhere else
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I agree with Bbb. Get it replaced. I had an MB Sport Coupe where the rear window glass had a flaw so the entire window and moulding was replaced. I never had a single problem. Looking at the glass , or in your case, the moulding, would drive me crazy on a new car.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT LAW

damaged during the delivery preparation. It is scuffed and lightly torn on the top side. I assume it was done by the delivery prep guys.

The local dealer advised the rear window would have to be removed in order to replace the moulding.

I am not overly excited to have the rear window removed and put back in the car on a brand new 550. I can foresee a number of issues with this.

Thanks.
Get it fixed.

Unlike other companies, BMW can actually repair your car without damaging something else in the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Look for reviews online about the dealer. If it's a good dealer with a good shop, then let them fix it. You'll roll with a loaner for a day and get your car back looking as good as the day you picked it up brand new.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:

Thanks.
Get it fixed.

Unlike other companies, BMW can actually repair your car without damaging something else in the process.
Don't be so naive. My dealer curbed one of wheels and damaged the tire in the process while in the shop for the N63 campaign.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:

Thanks.
Get it fixed.

Don't be so naive. My dealer curbed one of wheels and damaged the tire in the process while in the shop for the N63 campaign.
I am sorry about your bad experience, but why does that make me naive?

I suffered major hail damage on my 8 month old f02 Xdrive. Every body panel was affected. The hood and rear deck were replaced.

BMW used PDR as much as possible. PDR requires taking apart the entire car. It is nearly impossible to not damage something.

Yet, it was perfect. The work exceeded my expectations and I felt like I was given a brand new car.

Not a smudge on the interrior. Not a ding was missed. BMW certified body shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Do get it replaced. Once finish, do a complete inspection and ask them to re-do it again until it is up to your expectation. It is a new car, you should get nothing but a perfectly new car.
Don't delay it, otherwise they might play stupid and blame you for it.
I took delivery on my F10 528 and I got a nick on the windshield, I asked the dealer to fix it and they got it done.
I took delivery on my F15 X5 and I got scratches on my B/C/D shadowline pillar and the driver side door wood trim panel, and the dealer replaced it for me also.
And I just took delivery on F10 ActiveHybrid 5 and it got scratch on the bottom bumper, taking the car in next week to get it repainted and fix the brakes.
So far, they have done a good work.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I am sorry about your bad experience, but why does that make me naive?

I suffered major hail damage on my 8 month old f02 Xdrive. Every body panel was affected. The hood and rear deck were replaced.

BMW used PDR as much as possible. PDR requires taking apart the entire car. It is nearly impossible to not damage something.

Yet, it was perfect. The work exceeded my expectations and I felt like I was given a brand new car.

Not a smudge on the interrior. Not a ding was missed. BMW certified body shop.
Your post implied that BMW service centers are somehow better than others and won't create additional damage while the car is in getting fixed. This is simply not the case.
Appreciate 0