2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum the waiting is a killer

10-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

the waiting is a killer

I tell you, waiting for your car to come out of the shop is excruciating. 10 days so far and "maybe next week"
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
ALPWhite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 535iX MSport

What happened that required you to take it in?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPWhite
What happened that required you to take it in?
oh, I was rear-ended. they may have to replace my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

I got my car back Friday after being in the shop for 11 days. The anticipation was made worse by having to drive a rental Corolla the whole time. I had actually gotten a little used to the corolla and thought...this isn't that bad of a car for what it costs... then I got back into the 535i and thought I was crazy to almost enjoy the Corolla. haha
PJinCA330.50
      10-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i went through this beginning part of august. my car was in the shop almost 3 weeks, all because someone backed into my passenger side rear door.

I had a rental Dodge Challenger v6 for 3 weeks.

was glad to have my car back!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri
i went through this beginning part of august. my car was in the shop almost 3 weeks, all because someone backed into my passenger side rear door.

I had a rental Dodge Challenger v6 for 3 weeks.

was glad to have my car back!
oh, I can't wait to get my car back. I turned down the rental because they only had a kia Forte available, I said no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
oh, I can't wait to get my car back. I turned down the rental because they only had a kia Forte available, I said no thanks.
I went back 3x to swap our rentals.

1) Nissan Frontier Pick up - not used to driving a pickup and this one was all over the road.
2) Nissan 370z - fun little car, but i didn't appreciate being 2 inches off the ground, and it was way too noisy inside the car, and with the amount of driving i do while being on calls etc. this was not doable
3) Dodge Challenger - at least it was comfortable but still a big pos.

hope you get your car back soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
I went back 3x to swap our rentals.

1) Nissan Frontier Pick up - not used to driving a pickup and this one was all over the road.
2) Nissan 370z - fun little car, but i didn't appreciate being 2 inches off the ground, and it was way too noisy inside the car, and with the amount of driving i do while being on calls etc. this was not doable
3) Dodge Challenger - at least it was comfortable but still a big pos.

hope you get your car back soon!
yep, I figure that since I work from home, I didn't need a car for this time. I just use my wife's car if absolutely necessary. add to that my 6'4" size and the Forte was a no go, couldn't get comfy in that little thing.
thanks for the sentiment, I hope I get it back quickly as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I love rental car stories!

"Profiles in Courage"......It is inspiring to know what you guys had to persevere while your cars were in the shop!
      10-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post

"Profiles in Courage"......It is inspiring to know what you guys had to persevere while your cars were in the shop!
My wife say's its cuz i'm a car snob....

I told her so be it!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod

Some call it first world problems.

OP use this wait time to think about how you will inspect your car for fit/finish. And, be prepared to reject the work if not completed satisfactory. I've seen some horrid repairs done by BMW approved shops. Dealer shops that tout how they're the only ones with all the fancy BMW repair equipment and fancy paint booths.... No use in having good tools/equipment if you don't know how to use them....

Lots of luck and hope you get you car back soon and in excellent shape.
      10-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod

Some call it first world problems.

OP use this wait time to think about how you will inspect your car for fit/finish. And, be prepared to reject the work if not completed satisfactory. I've seen some horrid repairs done by BMW approved shops. Dealer shops that tout how they're the only ones with all the fancy BMW repair equipment and fancy paint booths.... No use in having good tools/equipment if you don't know how to use them....

Lots of luck and hope you get you car back soon and in excellent shape.
thanks bud, but I chose a shop I have used before. they have done many high end cars and cars for SEMA shows. their work is impeccable, never the less, the car will be inspected anyway. I typically don't use the dealer for body work, it is farmed out to shops that focus on quantity, not quality. so I prefer a shop that I know does good work.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:58 AM   #13
Mts1tx
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

I was just complaining to my friends at work about the same thing. My car is at the body shop after a woman tapped me in stop and go traffic. Not sure what is worse. The fact that she hit me or driving the red Nissan Altima rental car. Wow. It really makes me love my car that much more.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Just got my car back last Friday after being in the shop for a week. Got rear ended also. They gave me a super sweet 2016 Impala. That's when you realize how nice luxury cars are compared to the standard stuff. The Impala didn't have bluetooth or a backup camera so backing up was scary to say the least. Funny how we drove decades without a backup camera and now I can't imagine life without it. I was so happy to get back into my car but the crap part was that after the shop detailed it, I noticed the original accident scratched my CF rear diffuser also which wasn't replaced, just the bumper. This was one of those parts that I got from China and just didn't want to deal with it so I'll just live with it.
Appreciate 0