2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N20 Engine replaced timing chain failed

12-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
BMW528er
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 White BMW 528i

N20 Engine replaced timing chain failed

Sucks this has to be my first post but with this car I had mixed feelings about it so i never posted because I don't know if I hate this car or just miss my last one. I wanted to post this just because a total nightmare was avoided by a few months and people thinking about financing these cars or even driving them without warranty it's totally insane to me at the point and my story from what I have found out is not that rare. It's like a time bomb or "grenade".

Like there was no signs of any issue just one day drivetrain malfuction and high engine oil pressure car went into limp mode next day it started was able to drive but only limp mode since it was thanksgiving let it sit for a day next day would start and died had to get it towed in and $25,000 later in parts changed the car is like brand new again i guess only good thing is car is no longer jerky in sport mode shifts smoother but still far from all the other models I have driven 2-4 and 6 but these were all 2015 models and up I feel like they just drive better. Anyway pretty much timing chain guide broke and the rest went metal everywhere.

Now what I still can't wrap my head around is that I bought this car because I was afraid of buying bmw in general but mainly higher engine models, more packages to break, I pretty much wanted to test it out if reading all these threads had warped my mind into thinking all these cars do is breakdown. But for a car that cost me 22k and I don't really drive it I work from home just around the block a few miles here and there and this to happen and I've only had it a few months. To top it off it was all replaced with the same parts that could easily fail again and bmw will not give any extra warranty unless this had happened to me out of warranty and I paid.

Because I mod cars I never thought of leasing and when I would meet guys that lease and mods I never understood it but now I do. To me your asking for trouble owning these cars you can't beat bmw these cars breaking makes them more money and there never going to run out of customers.

Anyway to wrap this up I totally want out of this car but because I already did about 12k worth of mods (cost me 7500) and now with everything that was replaced I'm sure it hurt the resale value. Now why would I do all this to a brand I'm afraid of and car I never really wanted. The first car I learned to drive on was a bmw the first car I fell in love with was a bmw my family has owned many and it was just on my bucket list I guess. The other issue I have is I have to mod every car just don't like stock so thats why i never leased I change to much to change it back and I'm cheap I guess I like bargins.

Bought this car in Mar 16 of this year really wanted 4 series when they came but higher price and I thought the n20 engine would suck the same as in f10 never even drove one till after I got this, i don't know why for some reason they drive better. So a 640 gc to me was the car to get as it has all the options i want and four doors but couldn't find one in the price and specs i want with warranty or I didn't want to spend the money i guess since new gen is around the corner.

All i did to this car was add msport kit paint it 1100, coilovers 750, 20 in vossen wheels and run flat tires 1200, wrap window trim and roof 600, remus quad exhaust axel back 1000 which does nothing but looks hate single exhaust, front lip and new rear diffuser spoiler 500, bavsound speakers and subs 1000, 12in sub and 3 alpine amps lc8i 650, Install for sound 750, and some other minor stuff I bought all of it used refurb cheap deals etc but the car sounds amazing and looks great I would post pics but I'm gonna sell it at some point and I don't want to car and this thread to link up but there is a vossen youtube video of a f10 that I pretty much copied.

Maybe I should of just bought the car i wanted and had better luck I don't know but now I really want to put a deposit on a m2 but I'm so afraid for do this all over again and back fire.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

whatever you mentioned (failed timing chain, oil pressure problems) all a textbook example of what happens when you follow BMW's ridiculously length oil service intervals. N52 seems less prone to damage from these intervals compared to the n20 turbo counterpart. if you changed oil every 5000 miles or so, I doubt this would happen to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I agree with above post as well as there must of been a reason why that car was traded in.

Did you buy a CPO car or is the car still under factory warranty?

You said that you "avoided" paying $25K in parts which I assume BMW covered everything.

There seems to be a missing link.

But I would not buy a used German car (except a 911) or keep one out of the warranty.

One other exception is if I have been the only owner since new.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Actually, issues with N20 engines are related to the design of timing chain than, not oil service intervals. BMW recently (2015+ models) has released a redesigned timing chain for the N20 and N26 engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
whatever you mentioned (failed timing chain, oil pressure problems) all a textbook example of what happens when you follow BMW's ridiculously length oil service intervals. N52 seems less prone to damage from these intervals compared to the n20 turbo counterpart. if you changed oil every 5000 miles or so, I doubt this would happen to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
BMW528er
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I agree with above post as well as there must of been a reason why that car was traded in.

Did you buy a CPO car or is the car still under factory warranty?

You said that you "avoided" paying $25K in parts which I assume BMW covered everything.

There seems to be a missing link.

But I would not buy a used German car (except a 911) or keep one out of the warranty.

One other exception is if I have been the only owner since new.
Well it was just a lease car before turned in and then resold still has factory warranty I think the timing chain guide broke first it's made of plastic the newer 2015 models have a revised guide i guess.

Anyway the car is back at bmw again now leaking engine coolant I think kept saying low engine coolant even after they topped it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
BMW528er
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Actually, issues with N20 engines are related to the design of timing chain than, not oil service intervals. BMW recently (2015+ models) has released a redesigned timing chain for the N20 and N26 engines.
Yeah i tried to see if i was getting that but since its a 2013 they just replaced it with the same exact engine parts I had and it can happen again they told me there is no way to prevent this because of where the timing chain is.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
BMW528er
Registered
Rep

whats worse is that in 2 months warranty ends and if I had no warranty and paid for this to be done I would be given 2 years warranty on what was done but when you have warranty it expires when your normal warranty does. Currently weighing my options I want out of this car but because of mods trying to see how much i will lose.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Sorry to hear that OP.

I am on my second N20. No issues at all. I think vast majority of N20 engines have no problems. I guess you just had bad luck.

Side note, general consensus is, don't buy a BMW because they break. Is it really the case that BMWs (or the three Germans) are more problematic than lets say their Asian counterparts or is it maybe just a sheer cost of repairing a German luxury car once it actually breaks? Basically, dont they all break at a similar rate? However, fixing a Honda probably wont cost me $25k. So perception is.....Germans break. Again, just a thought, since my last two N20 F10 were flawless (gas and go).

...and no I dont really subscribe to J.D. Power and Associates and the likes of....
      12-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
correct me if im wrong, but is the overall engine design of the N20 the same general idea of the N52. how does the newer version of 28i engines have more problems then the older ones? peoples N20's are blowing up left and right compared to the N52's I dont understand why.. I sometimes debate if i should have went for an N55 but i just cant describe how pleased I am with my RWD N52.. the engine running like a japanese rock at 67k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Is the N20 really blowing up left and right?! This is the first I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #11
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Well, there was enough issues that BMW had to redesign timing chain. I think out if 4 engines available in N.A. the N55 is the most "solid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Lets not make up stories.

There have never been chronic issues with N20. BMW could've re-designed the chain for numerous reasons. N20 engines have been around for quite a while. If they were blowing up "left and right" we would see posts on this and other BMW forums.

Sure, someone could've gotten a lemon N20.
      12-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #13
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Maybe it's not as chronic as N54 fuel injectors or N52 water pumps but it's a well recognized issue, especially for N47 engine. Just search for "N20 chain". The biggest problem with this timing chain related issues is that it can lead to catastrophic engine failures which a very significant amount of $$$. I would much rather deal with multiple injectors or water pump replacements than one timing chain failure.

http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/au...nents-n26-too/

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
Lets not make up stories.

There have never been chronic issues with N20. BMW could've re-designed the chain for numerous reasons. N20 engines have been around for quite a while. If they were blowing up "left and right" we would see posts on this and other BMW forums.

Sure, someone could've gotten a lemon N20.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
people seem to be having oil pressure, timing chain related issues with the n20. n52 appears to be more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #15
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting link. Looks like for those that have N20 and experience "elevated levels of noise coming from the front of the N20 engine" BMW may\may not proactively replace Timing Chain. I would imagine a wide recall should be in order if a critical part like that is unequivocally deemed faulty. I am not aware of such a recall.

In my book this definitely doesn't fall into "chronic" or "blowing up left and right" bucket. I get it though, if the chain breaks (only heard of one instance) its big bucks, so some may prefer to pick N52\N54\N47 and a slew of more prevalent but substantially cheaper issues to deal with.

I would not hesitate to pick an N20 for the third time.
      09-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #16
smove
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW528er View Post
Sucks this has to be my first post but with this car I had mixed feelings about it so i never posted because I don't know if I hate this car or just miss my last one. I wanted to post this just because a total nightmare was avoided by a few months and people thinking about financing these cars or even driving them without warranty it's totally insane to me at the point and my story from what I have found out is not that rare. It's like a time bomb or "grenade".

Like there was no signs of any issue just one day drivetrain malfuction and high engine oil pressure car went into limp mode next day it started was able to drive but only limp mode since it was thanksgiving let it sit for a day next day would start and died had to get it towed in and $25,000 later in parts changed the car is like brand new again i guess only good thing is car is no longer jerky in sport mode shifts smoother but still far from all the other models I have driven 2-4 and 6 but these were all 2015 models and up I feel like they just drive better. Anyway pretty much timing chain guide broke and the rest went metal everywhere.

Now what I still can't wrap my head around is that I bought this car because I was afraid of buying bmw in general but mainly higher engine models, more packages to break, I pretty much wanted to test it out if reading all these threads had warped my mind into thinking all these cars do is breakdown. But for a car that cost me 22k and I don't really drive it I work from home just around the block a few miles here and there and this to happen and I've only had it a few months. To top it off it was all replaced with the same parts that could easily fail again and bmw will not give any extra warranty unless this had happened to me out of warranty and I paid.

Because I mod cars I never thought of leasing and when I would meet guys that lease and mods I never understood it but now I do. To me your asking for trouble owning these cars you can't beat bmw these cars breaking makes them more money and there never going to run out of customers.

Anyway to wrap this up I totally want out of this car but because I already did about 12k worth of mods (cost me 7500) and now with everything that was replaced I'm sure it hurt the resale value. Now why would I do all this to a brand I'm afraid of and car I never really wanted. The first car I learned to drive on was a bmw the first car I fell in love with was a bmw my family has owned many and it was just on my bucket list I guess. The other issue I have is I have to mod every car just don't like stock so thats why i never leased I change to much to change it back and I'm cheap I guess I like bargins.

Bought this car in Mar 16 of this year really wanted 4 series when they came but higher price and I thought the n20 engine would suck the same as in f10 never even drove one till after I got this, i don't know why for some reason they drive better. So a 640 gc to me was the car to get as it has all the options i want and four doors but couldn't find one in the price and specs i want with warranty or I didn't want to spend the money i guess since new gen is around the corner.

All i did to this car was add msport kit paint it 1100, coilovers 750, 20 in vossen wheels and run flat tires 1200, wrap window trim and roof 600, remus quad exhaust axel back 1000 which does nothing but looks hate single exhaust, front lip and new rear diffuser spoiler 500, bavsound speakers and subs 1000, 12in sub and 3 alpine amps lc8i 650, Install for sound 750, and some other minor stuff I bought all of it used refurb cheap deals etc but the car sounds amazing and looks great I would post pics but I'm gonna sell it at some point and I don't want to car and this thread to link up but there is a vossen youtube video of a f10 that I pretty much copied.

Maybe I should of just bought the car i wanted and had better luck I don't know but now I really want to put a deposit on a m2 but I'm so afraid for do this all over again and back fire.
Was your transmission damaged? mine was
Appreciate 0