2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum check engine indicator light

09-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
fromlone*st8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Red face check engine indicator light

I have a 2011 535i with 1200 miles, "check engine" light lit up. Took the car to dealership and was told I need to leave the car for diagnostic test. Has anybody encountered the same thing I had? Car has low mileage yet the"check engine" light came on? Also, I noticed recently right after starting up the engine, there's a loud engine sound as if I am stepping on the gas pedal. Is this normal for a BMW? This is my 1st BMW so I am a nerdy....
Would appreciate your responses.. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There are thousands of parts on any vehicle...every once in awhile, one isn't perfect. Keep in mind that something as simple as not tightening the gas cap fully can cause a fault indication. The computer stores a lot of info, they need to access it and check and verify. Annoying when it happens to you, but not that common.

So far, I've only had one glitch and it took a little diagnostics to determine that one switch was intermittent (the electronic parking brake would actually work, but the sensor said it wasn't - they replaced the switch and all has been well for nearly a year now).

Most people don't have glitches, but that's what the warranty is for.
Appreciate 0