2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum USB Adapter Power

03-06-2024, 04:02 AM   #1
As_If
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D 5Series MSPORT

USB Adapter Power

Hello All,

I have 2013 5series MSport and recently i installed dashcame and connected to glove box USB port as I dont use that for any thing, I noticed that USB port does not have higher enough power to keep camera ON while driving. SAme thing I noticed is with center armrest USB adapter. For a change I plugged in my mobile phone charging to both ports and same story with mobile phone ie USB ports does not charge mobile fast enough.

Could there be a way to increase the power output of usb pots in glove box and center armrest?

Unfortunately cig lighter ports are also not functioning, i suspect fuse is gone, got fuse and when try to replace, noticed that fuse panel is upside down and hard to access the fuse. this was reason which led to connecting camera to usb and i discover the power issue on usb port.

Also any suggestions on hardwiring camera without cutting any wires etc? intention is to secure the car while its parked or I am away and camera can record if any impact happen. Any suggestions and help will be very much appreciated.

many thanks
A
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:56 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

According to the owners manual in my 2013 f06...the USB port in the glove box is for data transfer only...its not a port for powering a device or audio playback.

If you don't have the paperback version of the owners manual...there's a digital version embedded in iDrive. Just open the iDrive's owners manual and use the KEYWORD search feature (type in USB) to get an explanation of what can be used in your glovebox USB port (probably only data like in my f06 6 series).

Also...check your rear fuse box...or your fuse diagram sheet...you may have a fuse in the rear that powers the 12 volt sockets. If you find the fuse index sheet confusing...the icons used on the index are the same icons used on the switches/buttons etc. So look for the icon that is printed on your 12 volt sockets to determine which icon to look for on the fuse index sheet.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 11:12 AM   #3
ceka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d 11'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HYQLH1C/

I have this one, cheap solution and it charges the phones pretty fast and my laptop too. however you said your cig lighter is shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:45 PM   #4
joako
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels, seats & trunk

I have something like this hardwired in my overhead console: https://www.amazon.com/SSLHONG-Step-.../dp/B085XHDJGD

There's an ignition power source in that area, I believe for the sunroof motor.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 12:10 AM   #5
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
If your front center consol "cig ligher" is not working then it's most likely due to blown fuse #54 located in the glove compartment. Standard/20 amp/Yellow fuse located in the lower left corner, SECOND up from the bottom. (upper right corner, second down from the top in the pic you posted, but that looks to be upside down).

I let a girlfriend plug her cheap vape charger into that port and soon after learned my lesson about what a pain in the a$$ those fuses are to access. You'll need to use a ridiculously long pair of needle nose pliers or do what I did and use the "braile method" by touch once I got my fat hand in thru the access hole.

Hardwiring thru the overhead rearview mirror would be the cleanest and "best" method, imo, but I'm not sure how a guy could ever accomplish that without cutting and splicing wires. There's some really good writeups out there on F10 forums about how to do this when connecting a radar detector (they're usually found on sticky threads in the beginning of F10 sections).

Good Luck!!!
Appreciate 0