2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bang - for - buck mods

04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Numerous

Bang - for - buck mods

I drive a *LEASED* 2014 535i x-drive and am very happy with the car. Ive read in various places that this drivetrain responds well to performance mods and I'm interested in getting a bit more out of her. I know there are several "chip" tunes as well as intake packages available, but wanted to see if anyone had insight on which would be the best option for a leased vehicle and/or best bang for the buck.

Specifically I'm looking for:
-Something easily removable for dealer visits
-"Chip" tuning easily turned off (possibly undetectable to dealer)
-No reliability issues

Please go easy on the BMW noob.

Last edited by Eric; 04-14-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Eric - Burger Motorsport offers chips (ECU piggyback style plug-ins) that are very cost-effective at adding power to your 535. The N55 engine responds well to tunes, and you can easily up the power output with Burger's "Juice Box" (JB) tunes. They also provide simple mechanisms for you to turn on/off and alter the potency of the tune.

Obviously any tuning will introduce potential for reliability issues since you're pushing the components of the vehicle beyond their anticipated mechanical thresholds. That said, I think many people have found the JB tunes very reliable since you don't need to dial-in the maximum power all the time. These devices are also easily removable for visits to a dealer.

Honestly, I'm not big into mods. I think these cars, especially with the M Sport package, come very nicely equipped right from BMW. Mods are financial sink-holes. If the car is leased, the best you can hope for is to remove them at the end of the term and sell them at a serious discount to someone else. Maybe that's worth it to you. Considering the time and expense of swapping suspension parts, for instance, I wouldn't go there either on a lease. At most, I'd personally consider the JB for some extra power and maybe a set of wheels (easy to swap and sell later... plus, you'll likely want to get rid of the OEM runflat tires).

My two cents!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Numerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Eric - Burger Motorsport offers chips (ECU piggyback style plug-ins) that are very cost-effective at adding power to your 535. The N55 engine responds well to tunes, and you can easily up the power output with Burger's "Juice Box" (JB) tunes. They also provide simple mechanisms for you to turn on/off and alter the potency of the tune.

Obviously any tuning will introduce potential for reliability issues since you're pushing the components of the vehicle beyond their anticipated mechanical thresholds. That said, I think many people have found the JB tunes very reliable since you don't need to dial-in the maximum power all the time. These devices are also easily removable for visits to a dealer.

Honestly, I'm not big into mods. I think these cars, especially with the M Sport package, come very nicely equipped right from BMW. Mods are financial sink-holes. If the car is leased, the best you can hope for is to remove them at the end of the term and sell them at a serious discount to someone else. Maybe that's worth it to you. Considering the time and expense of swapping suspension parts, for instance, I wouldn't go there either on a lease. At most, I'd personally consider the JB for some extra power and maybe a set of wheels (easy to swap and sell later... plus, you'll likely want to get rid of the OEM runflat tires).

My two cents!
Excellent reply. Thank you for taking the time.

I'm completely on the same page as you with regard to mods. I dont feel like the car "needs" anything. I have a summer set of wheels (OEM staggered 19" from a 2012 F10), but I likely wont touch another thing on the car.

Just looking for a very light intake/ecm tune to sneak a few more ponies.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Looks like JB4 tune is the best option for you. I've met many people who changed their opinion about modding after some time. I can't look at my car without lowering springs and 20 inch rims
      04-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Ezmass u r so right on "Mods are financial sink-holes"

Russkey and u r on point "I can't look at my car without lowering springs and 20 inch rims"
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0