2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cabin noise, 75-80db anyone else?

06-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Matt.V
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 320dA LES

Cabin noise, 75-80db anyone else?

Hello guys.

We have some issues with road/wind/tyre noise. I noticed that the car was quite loud compared to our previous car. At highway speed (120kmh or 75mph) we are averaging 75 db with peaks up to 80db.

To me, that's really loud for a car in this class. We have just changed our tyres but that didn't make any difference. Fronts: 245 35 20, rears: 275 35 20.

I was wondering if any of you guys experience the same problem? I have read a few topics about this issue and it appears that some have it and some don't. Before going to the dealer, I'd like to know if this is normal or not and if any one of you guys have the same measurements.

For measuring DB I'm using 3 iphone apps that are pretty accurate.
'Decibel 10th' 'Decibels' 'Decibelmeter'

For comparison, could you guys be so kind to measure your db at 120kmh/ 75mph with one of those apps and include tyre specification?

Thanks,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

To be honest, I think this is an invalid test as the road surface will be variable and has a large impact on the amount of road noise that you will hear.
Once person will test on one type of road , another on another. Unless you all test on teh same exact piece of road, the results will be next to useless.

I find the car very refined in terms of noise and is best on those new smooth roads (far too few of those!) but can be a lot noiser on the rougher type of roads.
I guess tyres may also play a part in that but my take is the road will be the most variable and the largest impact on any ambient noise levels you are recording.
Wind noise may also play a part.

In summary, I persoanlly feel the F10 to be a very refined car noise wise on the whole.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Matt.V
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
To be honest, I think this is an invalid test as the road surface will be variable and has a large impact on the amount of road noise that you will hear.
Once person will test on one type of road , another on another. Unless you all test on teh same exact piece of road, the results will be next to useless.

I find the car very refined in terms of noise and is best on those new smooth roads (far too few of those!) but can be a lot noiser on the rougher type of roads.
I guess tyres may also play a part in that but my take is the road will be the most variable and the largest impact on any ambient noise levels you are recording.
Wind noise may also play a part.

In summary, I persoanlly feel the F10 to be a very refined car noise wise on the whole.
Actually, you're right. It's hard to compare considering the difference between roads.

I took my measurements on a new and smooth road. And even there, 75 db with peaks of 80 db, that's not really quiet is it? On the bad ones it goes well over 80 db.

Friends with a 640 (same wheels/tyres setup) experienced the same issue. Maybe it's due to the larger wheels? Although it sounds more like wind noise to me..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

OP larger wheels produce more noise so your tyres could be the one cousing troubles well my friend has 520d touring with standard wheels and we mesured 66db at 130km/h
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Matt.V
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990 View Post
OP larger wheels produce more noise so your tyres could be the one cousing troubles well my friend has 520d touring with standard wheels and we mesured 66db at 130km/h
Thanks for the effort, 66db sounds about right. That's +/- what BMW says it should produce.
Appreciate 0