2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i xDrive: questions about damping!

12-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Diagnosic
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 i (E90)

550i xDrive: questions about damping!

Good Evening

I'am looking forward to order a new 550i xDrive in January 2015.

What I know at the moment: I do not want Dynamic Drive and/or Adaptive Drive.

But I am unsure about the EDC = electronic damping controll (with several options for the dampers).

In my current 335i xDrive F30 I have the EDC, but I never use it. Because the normal "comfort" setting is always perfect for me. Therefore I almost never change the setting of the dampers. And therefore I ask the question if I really need this option for the F10. At the moment I tend to not order the EDC.

I am very graceful for every answer!

Best regards
Thomas (Switzerland)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Hi Thomas! The F10 is noticeable bigger and heavier car than your current atomic F30 335i. And it's also full of electronic things that make handling more synthetic. So what you normally get out of the F10 is a turbo-sofa with options, occasionally labeled as BMW.

There are miles and miles of the threads here about how to order it right and what to do with the already ordered, like suspension retrofits with aftermarket sway bars and sport springs. Therefore you are right trying to understand things before making your own decision.

I have M Sport passive suspension and running 20" 3-piece forged wheels with performance tires, but the car is still floaty and cornering isn't sharp compared to E60 and E39 owned before. The necessary retrofits will cost me the money that I could spend much better way.

Now if you ask me what are the three things I want for sure in my next car, it will be the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP), Adaptive LEDs and full Drive Assist Package. You are aiming the restyled (LCI) model with the refined engine N63TU and mnuch of progress with the suspension technologies and software. So the best I can recommend you is to read this thread about suspension from the members who already knows the matter: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006314.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

If you got xDrive then you don't have the m-sport suspension (option 704) even if the car has the m-sport package. You only get the floaty standard suspension.

That's why I feel the xDrive F10/F11 need EDC or even Adaptive Drive if thats available.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Never had a chance to dig deeply into this that is hidden beneath my car My roads are dirty and I don't have a clean private garage with a ramp etc. However the suspension needs to be at the proper level anyway. The point is that better to do it right away in a car configurator then afterwards by collecting info piece by piece and walking around with all these bars and bolts and nuts.
Good point about xDrive that was actually the must point for me.
Appreciate 0