2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Daytime running lights & trunk.

06-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

Daytime running lights & trunk.

1. I just noticed today in a reflection of a store window that when my daytime running lights are on, my tail lights are on also. It was cloudy outside, does that have something to do with the tail lights being on? Sorry I never noticed that before.

2. I don't have the auto close trunk, and I hate the fact that I have to slam the trunk down to keep it closed. Just my thought on the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
mikeadams2k
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Sedan

Do you possibly have the headlight switch in the 'Adaptive' position? If so, and it's a somewhat dark day, the tail lights will come on also.

I have the auto open/close trunk and originally thought it to be more of a novelty, but now find it's very handy. I have an'09 335i (no auto trunk) and I find that I have to close the trunk hard on it or I'll get a trunk open light after I've been driving for awhile.

Last edited by mikeadams2k; 06-11-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanDan View Post
1. I just noticed today in a reflection of a store window that when my daytime running lights are on, my tail lights are on also. It was cloudy outside, does that have something to do with the tail lights being on? Sorry I never noticed that before.

2. I don't have the auto close trunk, and I hate the fact that I have to slam the trunk down to keep it closed. Just my thought on the trunk.
1) yes if you're car is an early 2011 model or earlier (or is a later model and been coded to be have this way).

2) never personally found that I have to 'slam' the trunk (boot) down on mine. it requires a positive action but not a 'slam' for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeadams2k View Post
Do you possibly have the headlight switch in the 'Adaptive' position? If so, and it's a somewhat dark day, the tail lights will come on also.

I have the auto open/close trunk and originally thought it to be more of a novelty, but now find it's very handy. I have an'09 335i (no auto trunk) and I find that I have to close the trunk hard on it or I'll get a trunk open light after I've been driving for awhile.
I have the headlight switch on auto
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
dirtyvegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i msport

I have an early 2011. So far I notice the following.

Sunny Low sun = headlights on. Interior instrument text white (not sure about tail lights going to check next time)

Cloudy = angel eyes only. White instrument text. (Going to check tail lights next time)

Sunny with high sun = angel eyes only. White instruments.

Dark = headlight and tail lights on. Orange instrument text.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That all sounds quite normal to me.
I have read about some who have coded the threshold for when the instrument lighting changes from white to orange (even keep it white all of the time)
Appreciate 0