2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum First BMW, European Delivery

05-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

First BMW, European Delivery

I picked up a new 535i X-drive GT in Munich on 27 April. The experience was very pleasant, and I highly recommend you consider this if you have the time. The vehicle had 1 mile on it when delivered, and I turned it in with 1153Km (switched it to metric while there). I knew the price of fuel was high, but it's sobering to spend nearly $150 to fill the tank (several times). It came with a little over 1/4-tank, so keep that in mind. I really would have preferred the diesel option for the US, but alas, not now, and maybe not ever on this model in this market (too bad).

I wasn't sure which tires would be on it, but it came with the Goodyears (stock, 18-inchers). Ride was decent. I found these noisy, and at 150km/h, were the primary noise in the vehicle. I did keep it below the recommended maximums for the breakin period, which runs to 1200-miles, or 2000 Km. I didn't reset the fuel use, and when I turned the vehicle in, had an indicated 23.6mpg (haven't done the l/100km conversion). Cruise on the level often showed over 30, and sometimes over 40mpg. It'll be interesting to see how that works out once it gets some miles,and I'm not idling as much. Not too bad for running at nearly 100mph on the Autobahn for awhile. I did not run into any heavy rainfall while there, so don't know how they handle in the rain. They were okay in the dry. The long-wheelbase caught me a bit the first few days, and I clipped a couple of curbs. Luckily, didn't ding the rims. The shape of the hood means you really need the ultrasonic sensors, as you cannot see the corners.

I did also get the camera package, and with the various options on which ones are enabled, will also take a bit of getting used to. I did use the sideview a few times on tight corners when trying to pull out. My car is Alpine White, and the cameras are quite visible...wouldn't probably show much on most other finish choices, so that may be a consideration.

It will take awhile to acclimate myself to all of the features. I did opt for the navigation and heads-up display (among a few other things), and found the nav with heads-up to be very useful in that unfamiliar land. It got me all around southern Bavaria with only a few glitches. I neglected to follow the lane recommendation a few times, and found myself unable to exit where I wanted, but other than that, it worked, and worked well. I did find that it is a little slow updating, and often the voice was closer to being accurate than the readout. For example, when it said 100m to the turn, the voice would indicate turn now, and now was when the turn was, not 100m away. Took a little getting used to.

I didn't get the comfort package (don't really like the nagging of lane departure, etc.), but did get the comfort access. I like not having to fish for the remote to get into or lock the car. I do think that I'd have liked the soft-close doors in that package, but I'll get used to it. With the frameless windows, you need more force to latch the doors than I'm used to. the soft-close would have resolved that. I'm sure it's just a learning curve, though. The extra weight and complexity just didn't seem like a good cost/benefit decision.

I also opted for re-delivery at the performance center in South Carolina. Hoping for that sometime in June, but it's too early to tell quite yet. European delivered cars take longer to clear customs and agriculture (probably go over them individually with a bomb and drug sniffing dog(s)) than new, direct from the factory, so there is a potential delay over the new to dealer delivery through that step. Just dropped it off on Thursday, 5 May, so no idea when it'll get on a ship. Hopefully, it won't sit too long.

BTW, I had trouble, but did find a dealer that had the front window car cover in stock. This isn't sold in all markets (not available in the US so that's why I tried to find one). This cover goes over the windshield, the front windows, and across the top of the car to the other door. It should keep solar heat buildup way down, and might make it easier to clean up in the winter from a storm (if it doesn't freeze to the sill windows!). I didn't try it on, and the car's not here yet, so I didn't take it out of the case.

Anyone else used this thing? If so, what do you think?

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 05-11-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Added some info
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Just a timeline update...the car was dropped off in Munich near the airport for shipment to the USA on 5 May. Was informed that it made it on a ship on 18 May, and is supposed to be at the Performance Center in SC on 2 June, everything working with no glitches. Haven't heard from them as to when I can schedule actual delivery, but expect that within a couple of weeks. If being sent to a dealer for redelivery, it would probably be a day or two after arrival, but not sure of the schedule at the Performance Center, as the classes can fill up quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, I picked up my car again at the factory in SC...if you can afford the time, it is a worthwhile thing to do. Fun on the track, and a chance to visit another factory. On my way back to NE, I got over 30mpg on the 535iGT x-drive! Really surprised me, but I'm not complaining. Likely won't be the norm, since much of my travels are short, not sitting on the interstate for hours at a time.
Appreciate 0