2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum European Lights

04-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

European Lights

Looking for a little help. I'm transferring my 2012 550ix from US plates to German in the Fall.

I took it for an initial inspection yesterday and was told everything was good minus the following:

- Need to change rear turn signals from red to orange. Will just changing the bulbs work?
- Need rear fog lights. It is my understanding that this may just require a button with front and back as the wiring is already installed. Thoughts?
- Front headlights data cannot be seen without removing covers and parts. Does anyone know if these have the European marker (E in a circle) like the rest of the parts?

I'm gonna take it to the dealer next week, but would like some expert advice prior so I don't get fleeced.

Many thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

Yup. You'll need a euro light switch. I recently purchased a used one on eBay for ~$70 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

You can get the Euro light controller off eBay or from ECS Tuning. Do a search for something like BMW F10 euro light switch. It is a really easy install. The only thing complex is you will need torx bits for the screws. The rear fog lights are already wired and the bulbs are there. All you need is the controller to make it happen. Here's a thread:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ght=euro+light

EDIT: Looks like you can get the light switch cheaper on ebay.de

As for the rear lights, they look the same here in Germany, but the turn signals flash yellow through the red lens instead of red. I am pretty sure they are LED, so I don't think you can swap them out. I looked for them on ebay.co.uk because it is in English, but the sellers say they won't ship to the US. I did a quick look when I got here to Germany and found them on ebay.de. Looks like you can get the outer portion of the taillight for about E100 each. I have no idea how you install them, but it can't be that hard. I'm sure there is a DIY for installing white lines or something.

I'm am nearly 100% sure the front lights will be Euro compliant. The only issue would be if you were going to the UK rather than Germany. Then you need to pretty much swap out the entire light assembly to make it work for driving on the left.

Save your receipts, it is an unreimbursed moving expense for tax purposes.

(I am just over here in Germany for 6 months, my cars are back in Texas. I am in Stuttgart, drop me a pm)

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i

Last edited by mko9; 05-17-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

the first part of this guide to remove the rear bumper explains how to remove the rear lights. One of the nuts only has to be loosened, not fully removed, otherwise you can easily drop the nut into the bodywork of the car

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836924

When I removed the lights there are no bulbs to change or places to open up the light. it's a sealed unit,probably because LED's are used.

The coding for american F10's is different to european ones. On my german F10 the rear brake lights flash if you brake really hard but I think in american models the rear fog lights come on instead (not that they call them rear fog lights in the american owners manual). I'm not sure if using fog lights to show hard braking is legal in europe but doubt anybody will really notice/find out.

The part numbers for european front headlights are different to american ones but I don't know if that means the american ones don't have an E mark (they might not stamp it on if the headlight will never be used on european cars).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post

The part numbers for european front headlights are different to american ones but I don't know if that means the american ones don't have an E mark (they might not stamp it on if the headlight will never be used on european cars).
Thanks for the insight, riku2.

Do you know where the stamp/marks are? They aren't visible.
Appreciate 0