2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10/F11 trounces the Mercedes E Class again

12-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
krell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

F10/F11 trounces the Mercedes E Class again

There's an interesting review of the F11 520d (riding on standard suspension) against the Mercedes E220 CDI Estate (Wagon) in last week's issue of Autocar. I haven't found the review online so here's a summary:

Plus points for the E Class over the F11 was it's interior space (easier to get in and out of the rear seats) and boot (trunk) space (1950 litres versus 1670 litres).

Both cars were praised for the quality of their interiors and high levels of passenger comfort.

That's about where it ended for the E Class. The F11 won out in these areas:

1. Much quieter engine on cold startup and under acceleration. F11 engine is significatly quieter, especially at high crank speeds.
2. E-Class has an old tech 5 speed torque converter auto gearbox that keeps it high in the rev range - which makes the engine noise worse.
3. E-Class gearbox is slow to respond after stepping off the throttle and at kick-down. F11 gearbox is much quicker at swapping ratios and keeps the engine in the torque band better - which makes it a faster and more refined car.
4. E-Class does not isolate the car from road imperfections as well as the F11 does. F11 suspension is noticeably more taut - yet it's quieter over rutted tarmac.
5. The E-Class feels short on grip and composure when driven quickly. The F11 has greater handling precision, chasis poise and all round agility.

Here's the most daming bit (quoting directly):

"Without being too hard on Mercedes, the E220 CDI in particular seems like something of a remnant - a car made up of leftovers warmed up from the generation before. By comparison, the BMW 520d Touring feels like a car engineered in a different, more modern era."

I compared the E350 CDI to the 530D and I concur with all the above. Personally, I would add a far better interior and external looks into the mix - as well as better fuel econony and emissions.

That the E Class is less than 2 years old is very poor for a company like Mercedes. They make excellent executive cars like the S Class but they've completely dropped the ball with the E Class.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
icecold601
BMW Knight
Rep
Drives: BMW

I very much agree with your last comment.
Appreciate 0