2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ACS Springs Installed

05-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

ACS Springs Installed

Wow what a difference!

Not only in terms of looks but especially in terms of driving dynamics.

Now it reminds of my e39 540i Sport when it was stock.

As mentioned by everyone else who has these ACS Springs this is how the car should have come from BMW.

Ride is just slightly firmer than stock, no bouncing whatsoever, and most importantly no more dive or squat on brake and acceleration!

Wife and kids don't even notice the difference, specially when its in comfort+

2014 550i m-sport
16k miles now
Vorsteiner VFF 102
20x10.5 in (R)
20x9 (F)

Shop said springs will settle in about 200 miles and should lower another 10 mm.

Some crappy iphone pics, Photoshoot to come once the weather improves and i get the car detailed.

Next and Last Mod (for now) - m5 Competition Package Exhaust (Catback)

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Looks great! I'm also contemplating the ACS springs. I assume you paired it up with stock struts? Since I'm at 65k miles, what is a good aftermarket strut/shock that can go with ACS lowering springs. I can't seem to find ones for the xdrive model.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

yes I kept stock shocks as they only have 16k miles on them, when they need to be replaced I'll go to coilovers. Also with the stock struts edc still works which is important for the wife and kids but I've heard a good set of kW coilovers would also work well. I'm sure someone else can chime in!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

xxpanipuri the drop turned out GREAT!

PERFECT match with those Vorsteiner's! oh, you say the exhaust maybe the last mod but i guarantee you keep snooping in here it won't lol! it's just the beginning! i'd blackout the door trim and fender markers to match the window trim and grills!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
xxpanipuri the drop turned out GREAT!

PERFECT match with those Vorsteiner's! oh, you say the exhaust maybe the last mod but i guarantee you keep snooping in here it won't lol! it's just the beginning! i'd blackout the door trim and fender markers to match the window trim and grills!
I said last mod for now.

i may get color matched fender trim. not sure how to black out the door trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #6
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

The drop looks great!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpanipuri View Post
I said last mod for now.

i may get color matched fender trim. not sure how to black out the door trim.
before:

after:

SIMPLE!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 01:08 AM   #8
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
before:

after:

SIMPLE!

Nice!

thanks for posting!

This is the next major upgrade i want to do.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ridge-da3.html

My buddy's shop did that install, i heard the system, and it sounds amazing!
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice!

thanks for posting!

This is the next major upgrade i want to do.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ridge-da3.html

My buddy's shop did that install, i heard the system, and it sounds amazing!
that is something i will be working on for next year's mods. but i plan on using the Bimmertech amp and Gladen Extremes. for the sub enclosure it's still in the air if i wanna do the single 10" in the corner like the link you posted or go 2 12" subs in a sealed enclosure? all depends if i really wanna lose some of my trunk space. i wonder if that single 10" is enough for my liking? i'm not looking for crazy bass like back in my days but enough bass with authority! i would need to run an external amp for the subs and use the Bimmertech to push the mids and highs as well as the 8's underneath the seats. really interested in the Mobridge DA3 as it looks like it's what's used to connect the amps to the car's wiring itself? did he pull the OEM amp out?

keep me posted on how your planning on doing yours

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-07-2016 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Congrats! Can't go wrong with ACS drop!
      05-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
that is something i will be working on for next year's mods. but i plan on using the Bimmertech amp and Gladen Extremes. for the sub enclosure it's still in the air if i wanna do the single 10" in the corner like the link you posted or go 2 12" subs in a sealed enclosure? all depends if i really wanna lose some of my trunk space. i wonder if that single 10" is enough for my liking? i'm not looking for crazy bass like back in my days but enough bass with authority! i would need to run an external amp for the subs and use the Bimmertech to push the mids and highs as well as the 8's underneath the seats. really interested in the Mobridge DA3 as it looks like it's what's used to connect the amps to the car's wiring itself? did he pull the OEM amp out?

keep me posted on how your planning on doing yours
the mobridge interfaces between the factory system and the new amps. i believe they keep the factory amps to maintain the other factory functions (like bluetooth and gps audio)

when i removed my factory amp in my old car, my gps audio stopped working, so i'm assuming the f10 is the same.

older bmw's that didn't have fold down seats required quite a bit of power to get bass into the cabin.

you may be okay with geting way with a single 10 or 12 sub
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the mobridge interfaces between the factory system and the new amps. i believe they keep the factory amps to maintain the other factory functions (like bluetooth and gps audio)

when i removed my factory amp in my old car, my gps audio stopped working, so i'm assuming the f10 is the same.

older bmw's that didn't have fold down seats required quite a bit of power to get bass into the cabin.

you may be okay with geting way with a single 10 or 12 sub
Did some searching and looks like the mobridge is about $750+. Have you heard in person what a single 10 or 12" in that corner would sound like? Sorry to get off topic here
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
Looks great! I'm also contemplating the ACS springs. I assume you paired it up with stock struts? Since I'm at 65k miles, what is a good aftermarket strut/shock that can go with ACS lowering springs. I can't seem to find ones for the xdrive model.
I would go with aftermarket coilovers to replace the factory coilovers so you get matched springs and struts.
KW and CKS both offer aftermarket coilovers for xDrives. The advantage to adjustable coilovers is that you can set the ride height to exactly where you want it, and depending on the model of coilovers also adjust the rebound and compression damping as well.
I've been very happy with KW's on my rear wheel drive F10 - big difference in handling and stability while maintaining very good ride quality - firm but never harsh.
      05-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
I would go with aftermarket coilovers to replace the factory coilovers so you get matched springs and struts.
KW and CKS both offer aftermarket coilovers for xDrives. The advantage to adjustable coilovers is that you can set the ride height to exactly where you want it, and depending on the model of coilovers also adjust the rebound and compression damping as well.
I've been very happy with KW's on my rear wheel drive F10 - big difference in handling and stability while maintaining very good ride quality - firm but never harsh.
+1!

Couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Looks great man
Glad you did this on newer 550i did you have any issues with EDC?
Did yo nave to do anything else besides swapping springs?
my concern is EDC I am planing on doing this on my 2013 550i.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Looks great man
Glad you did this on newer 550i did you have any issues with EDC?
Did yo nave to do anything else besides swapping springs?
my concern is EDC I am planing on doing this on my 2013 550i.
Thanks
no issues so far, running them for 1.5 weeks and about 400 miles so far. rides great! no issues yet.

keep in mind my 2014 only has around 16k miles on it. so the shocks are fairly new.
Appreciate 1