2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tire size misleading

10-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
carcrazy101
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 5

Tire size misleading

I am going to take delivery of my new fully loaded 528i next week. There seems to be a discrepancy (one of many) as to the tire size for the car. I ordered the M sport Line package which states a 19" tire when you read the specs on the Lines tab at the build your own webpage, but the selection on the exterior tab specifies an 18" tire. Which is correct and how much do I fight for the 19" tires?

I am so amazed as to the total lack of accurate information and knowledge regarding the details of the vehicle options not only from my dealer, but BMW in NJ as well. I have decided after this, my 3rd leased BMW that it will be my last. It may be time to revisit the Cadillac, Lexus or the Mercedes.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy101 View Post
I am going to take delivery of my new fully loaded 528i next week. There seems to be a discrepancy (one of many) as to the tire size for the car. I ordered the M sport Line package which states a 19" tire when you read the specs on the Lines tab at the build your own webpage, but the selection on the exterior tab specifies an 18" tire. Which is correct and how much do I fight for the 19" tires?

I am so amazed as to the total lack of accurate information and knowledge regarding the details of the vehicle options not only from my dealer, but BMW in NJ as well. I have decided after this, my 3rd leased BMW that it will be my last. It may be time to revisit the Cadillac, Lexus or the Mercedes.

Thoughts?
The configurator on the website sucks -- lots of inaccuracies. Even the details under "track your BMW" has mistakes on what features/functions will be on the car. BMW lacks in the I/T area big-time. Clearly the people that submit requirements for their applications don't use them nor are they as passionate about this stuff as we all are.

Best place for specs is the ordering guide already posted

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1369064599

While BMW CA's are somewhat knowledgable on BMW's, remember first and foremost, they are car salespeople. You'll find the same at any other dealership for any other make -- enthusiasts like us know more about these cars and functions/features then the folks that deal with them every day.

There are a few passionate ones out there, but I believe they are the exception. For example, very few CA's ever mention/offer BMW CCA membership to people leasing a car -- so that after 3 years of membership when the customer comes back to re-lease, their small investment in membership dues gets them a $1,000 check.

I configured my car the way I wanted it, and then asked to see the order sheet to confirm it was configured the way I wanted it. This car was done properly, but I had one incorrect due to my CA not being aware of something. Fortunately, I was able to resolve before production started.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:

Thoughts?
Yet another error on BMWUSA.com. They are ridiculously careless with in information on that site. The 528i M Sports come with 18" wheels.
The wheel size should be stated on your order form as well as the VIN inquiry. That's what they'll go by. You can certainly argue the point and they may swap the wheels with a set of take offs from another car. Most likely they'll want you to pay the difference. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Cairo Kid
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M Sport Package

My understanding is that the "standard" option with the M sport package are the 18" wheels. The 19" 351M wheels are an upgrade that with an additional charge. The wheels/tires should be clearly indicated on your specification sheet when you placed the order.

If you signed-off on 18" wheels, I don't think you'll have much leverage with the dealership and you'll need to negotiate if you really want to swap (and be prepared to pay).

If the 19" wheels are what's specified on your order, I'd be surprised if you receive something else. If you do though, then you have a very clear case.

Hope this is of assistance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo Kid View Post
My understanding is that the "standard" option with the M sport package are the 18" wheels. The 19" 351M wheels are an upgrade that with an additional charge. The wheels/tires should be clearly indicated on your specification sheet when you placed the order.

If you signed-off on 18" wheels, I don't think you'll have much leverage with the dealership and you'll need to negotiate if you really want to swap (and be prepared to pay).

If the 19" wheels are what's specified on your order, I'd be surprised if you receive something else. If you do though, then you have a very clear case.

Hope this is of assistance.

Looking at the Ordering/Spec sheet (posted above), it doesn't look like 19" are even an offered option on the 528i -- only the 535 models -- there's no dollar amount of feature code listed. My CA didn't get into that much detail on the handwritten sales order, he just referenced the "Customer Lease Quote" that he printed which outlines the packages/options I ordered.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Thoughts?
So you would leave the brand because someone else doesn't understand the cars too well?

I either like a car or I don't, never get too hung up on the human interface niggles. I know it is always better if it all goes well, but reality is sometimes different.

I'd not "cut my nose off to spite my face", as we say over here.

BTW, enjoy the car when it arrives.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

Thoughts?
So you would leave the brand because someone else doesn't understand the cars too well?

I either like a car or I don't, never get too hung up on the human interface niggles. I know it is always better if it all goes well, but reality is sometimes different.

I'd not "cut my nose off to spite my face", as we say over here.

BTW, enjoy the car when it arrives.

HighlandPete
Quite right Pete. As for Cadillac Mercedes etc; good luck. Drove a Cadillac in the USA recently and it typifies what's so poor about GM in recent years. A complete steaming pile of turd I'm afraid. Terrible quality. FUGLY too.... Go with your heart remain loyal to BMW and you won't regret it. I've tried leaving over the years and save a classic Merc SL have consistently failed :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

Does something similar on the UK site for interiors. For example, an individual leather colour is shown on the interior when spec'ing up a 5 series, but changes when one of the standard choices are selected. There is a little disclaimer that says "equipment shown not part of spec" or something along those lines though.

Personally, stick with the 18s. I'm currently on 19s and regret it to be honest - 19 RFTs are pricey and not as easy to source (UK) sometimes, particularly for the wider rears. Ride does suffer and they are very kerb prone!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightVisitant View Post
Does something similar on the UK site for interiors. For example, an individual leather colour is shown on the interior when spec'ing up a 5 series, but changes when one of the standard choices are selected. There is a little disclaimer that says "equipment shown not part of spec" or something along those lines though.

Personally, stick with the 18s. I'm currently on 19s and regret it to be honest - 19 RFTs are pricey and not as easy to source (UK) sometimes, particularly for the wider rears. Ride does suffer and they are very kerb prone!
+1
Failure prone as well, I have read.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Where are you located? I've got a set of my buddy's 351's sitting in my garage. If you want 19" wheels that bad PM me.
      10-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Bobbins
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightVisitant View Post
I'm in the process of speccing an F10 M-Sport for delivery in January, replacing my trusty e60. My tyre guy told me a while ago to stay clear of BMW/Audi 19" wheels ... he replaces lots of 19" tyres and comes across a fair few broken wheels. Our British roads are just not smooth enough The car looks so much better on 19's but it compromises the ride too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 520d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
I'm in the process of speccing an F10 M-Sport for delivery in January, replacing my trusty e60. My tyre guy told me a while ago to stay clear of BMW/Audi 19" wheels ... he replaces lots of 19" tyres and comes across a fair few broken wheels. Our British roads are just not smooth enough The car looks so much better on 19's but it compromises the ride too much.
My previous e60 was on 19s and I never had any tyre or wheel issues . My f10 came on 20"s and the ride was terrible until I removed the run flat tyres due to damage . The car is totally transformed on standard tyres . Both cars were m sport and I live in the west of Ireland where our roads are disgraceful.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
If your roads are bad then I agree, however the roads where I live are generally good and my 2014 535i rides beautifully on 19's.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhoj View Post
My previous e60 was on 19s and I never had any tyre or wheel issues . My f10 came on 20"s and the ride was terrible until I removed the run flat tyres due to damage . The car is totally transformed on standard tyres . Both cars were m sport and I live in the west of Ireland where our roads are disgraceful.
What do you do if you have a flat tire.
      10-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
These in the trunk:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T.../dp/B000ET525K

The benefits of non-run-flat tires are immense. Smoother, quieter ride, AND better handling, AND about half the price of runflats AND road hazard insurance is only about $80 versus about $1500 from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
These in the trunk:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T.../dp/B000ET525K

The benefits of non-run-flat tires are immense. Smoother, quieter ride, AND better handling, AND about half the price of runflats AND road hazard insurance is only about $80 versus about $1500 from BMW.
You know, that stuff seems like allot of trouble. Firstly, I'm told that the TPMS sensor needs to be replaced when you use the slime type products; secondly, what happens when you hit a pothole with 19" rims and damage the non run flat tire? The slime can't fix that.

As to the rough ride and poor handling; my understanding is that the early RF tires had problems you described but things have come a long way since then. I test drove a 2013 535 X Drive last Monday and a 2014 535 X Drive last Thursday (both M Sports with 19" wheels) and both cars handled well had had compliant rides. Perhaps the handling is better with a non RFT, but I wonder how much better - seems to me body roll is the issue and the only fix for that is Adaptive Drive (or a lighter car).

The major issue for me though, is safety and convenience. Where I live, we get winter temps that approach -35C at night. If I have a flat, I'd prefer not to be out in the cold trying to administer slime and then inflate a tire for 8 minutes, when I can just drive the car home on the RF's and let the dealer change the tire.

Just my $0.02 worth.
      10-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ill gladly walk rather than have run flat s back on my car
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ill gladly walk rather than have run flat s back on my car
Thats what I'll tell my 4 and 6 year olds when we are walking in a snowstorm. I'll explain the non run flats have a better ride. I'm sure they'll understand.
      10-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
camnhoj
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thats what I'll tell my 4 and 6 year olds when we are walking in a snowstorm. I'll explain the non run flats have a better ride. I'm sure they'll understand.
If im going on a long journey I bring one of my winter wheels with me
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If im going on a long journey I bring one of my winter wheels with me
I give up. good luck to you, but I'll stick with the RFTs for now. I guess if I haven't driven the car on non RFTs I wouldn't know any better, but the drive and feel of the car with the stock equipment seemed great. BTW, how do you tie the spare tire down in the trunk? Hate to have that heavy projectile flying around in a crash.
      10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
You know, that stuff seems like allot of trouble. Firstly, I'm told that the TPMS sensor needs to be replaced when you use the slime type products; secondly, what happens when you hit a pothole with 19" rims and damage the non run flat tire? The slime can't fix that.

As to the rough ride and poor handling; my understanding is that the early RF tires had problems you described but things have come a long way since then. I test drove a 2013 535 X Drive last Monday and a 2014 535 X Drive last Thursday (both M Sports with 19" wheels) and both cars handled well had had compliant rides. Perhaps the handling is better with a non RFT, but I wonder how much better - seems to me body roll is the issue and the only fix for that is Adaptive Drive (or a lighter car).

The major issue for me though, is safety and convenience. Where I live, we get winter temps that approach -35C at night. If I have a flat, I'd prefer not to be out in the cold trying to administer slime and then inflate a tire for 8 minutes, when I can just drive the car home on the RF's and let the dealer change the tire.

Just my $0.02 worth.
RFTs may have "come a long way" but they're not there yet. I got my 535i in August, it came with the Michelin Primacy HP ZP runflats, arguably "state of the art". They made a constant THWAK THWAK over minor road imperfections at "around town" speeds, and when pushed just didn't seem to have as much traction as I'd expect from "summer high performance" tires. Last month I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza summer non-runflats. A world of improvement.

But I live in the San Francisco area - no cold, no snow, roads are pretty good, I don't need "all-season" or snow-capable tires. Yeah, if I'm stranded with a flat it might be a PITA to try to use the plug (which I'd do first before the Continental Kit, which as you said may require a new TPMS, but those aren't expensive anyway). But there's also roadside assistance.

When I thought back on how many flats I've had in the last 10, 20 years, it's probably only been one actual flat that required putting on the spare. Usually it's a case of a nail or screw in the tire where I'd notice the low pressure but it's still drivable to a shop to have it repaired for $20. Oh, and runflats can't be repaired either - one "incident" and you're out roughly $400 unless you have the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Quote:
I run run flat winters in the winter, coz I'm lazy, but not completely stupid. And non RFT's in the Summer. World of difference between the 2. With the non RFT's being MUCH better when the summer months are there. Not to mention cheaper.

Appreciate 0