2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum X-Drive or not, that is the question...

03-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool Public Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamez View Post
Here in Jersey that's true for major roadways only. The problem is most folks live on side streets that are not even easy to walk along let alone drive car without traction control.
At least in Jersey you have Public Transportation to fall back on if it gets to bad. Here in the Midwest (outside of Chicago) we are SOL for that type of getting around in heavy snow. But I would sooner stay home and enjoy the day than try to get out and have some A-hole damage my car.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
No, xDrive and four winter tires are the best choices - at least here in Sweden where winters can be really bad with LOTS of snow...
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #25
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I'll say it again. I live in the DC area, and have NEVER been stuck in the snow in my rear wheel drive BMW. Most roads that I travel one are cleared long before I can even get to them. Driver ability and common sense will go a long way when driving under any conditions.

However, if you are a snow plow operator for your city and need to get to the city shed to start plowing snow, then yeah, an AWD vehicle may help.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #26
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleman View Post
If you planned to daily drive DC to Baltimore, definitely you need xdrive car. I had 3 bmws 2 wheel drive before and bmw is really bad on snow. Specially F10 is very heavy car and with 2 wheel drive they will not move at all. Trust me, even though bmws are very powerful car, they will not move at all even with little snow fall. Many times I got stuck on snow, couldn't move at all. I Live NJ and I think DC area is almost same weather. Luckly we didnt have much snow this year but there will be a time snow falls like crazy again. If you have second car, its ok to get 2 wheel drive but if not go for xdive car. You will never regret when snow falls like crazy.
This comment is ridicules. I frequently drive my F11 on Norwegian mountain roads with snow and ice, no X-drive, and have not been stuck once. Not anywhere near being stuck actually. It's a surprisingly capable car on snow and ice. The perfect 50/50 weight distribution gives it perfect balance and actually makes it easier to drive, compared to most cars. The same balance makes it awesome and controllable, if you want to have fun.

I have no idea why you cant drive in the snow, but it certainly is not because the F10 being a bad car on snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Go with xDrive!!! There's nothing sadder than seeing RWD cars getting stuck in less than an inch of snow at the start of a storm. This is my 1st BMW and I'm coming from the world of Audi, so I'm a huge advocate of AWD! Last year in the DC Metro Area we had a pretty bad snowstorm which started during evening rush-hour! I will never forget helping this poor family in a 335i who couldn't get up a hill on New Hampshire Avenue near the DC Border. Almost every RWD car was getting stuck on this hill, but my Audi RS4 on All-Season Performance tires had no problems!

When I left Audi and purchased my 550 with xDrive, I know that I will not get stuck in light snow!!
Good luck, and enjoy your new ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I'll say it again. I live in the DC area, and have NEVER been stuck in the snow in my rear wheel drive BMW. Most roads that I travel one are cleared long before I can even get to them. Driver ability and common sense will go a long way when driving under any conditions.

However, if you are a snow plow operator for your city and need to get to the city shed to start plowing snow, then yeah, an AWD vehicle may help.
So essentially you're saying it's the luck of the draw, but what if you must traverse down New Hampshire Avenue in Takoma Park, or are caught on 13th & Florida Avenue, NW or the infamous hill at 4th and Rhode Island Avenue NE??? I agree that common sense and route planning can lessen the chances of a person getting stuck, but having AWD gives you that peace of mind that you can make it home safely!!

Last edited by TheGr8Swami; 03-19-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
having AWD gives you that peace of mind that you can make it home safely!!
It's called a "false sense of security", yet another thing I forgot to touch on. A HUGE amount of people with AWD/4WD vehicles get way too "confident" in supposedly "miraculous" abilities of such vehicles and end up stuck or with their vehicle heavily damaged or permanently disabled, perhaps because they never studied about the force of friction in their Physics classes (or never finished high school and instead got a G.E.D. or some similar crap). I've personally seen it many times - was quite amusing watching people slide/fishtail all over the road in their trucks with huge "4WD" stickers on their tailgates

Last edited by AlexK; 03-19-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
Nobleman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 Xdrive Msport TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
This comment is ridicules. I frequently drive my F11 on Norwegian mountain roads with snow and ice, no X-drive, and have not been stuck once. Not anywhere near being stuck actually. It's a surprisingly capable car on snow and ice. The perfect 50/50 weight distribution gives it perfect balance and actually makes it easier to drive, compared to most cars. The same balance makes it awesome and controllable, if you want to have fun.

I have no idea why you cant drive in the snow, but it certainly is not because the F10 being a bad car on snow and ice.
I think you missunderstood my comment. I am not trying to say our F10 and F11 are bad car on snow. Everybody knows that rear drive cars are bad on snow. Especially amount of snow we had couple of years in our tristate area, I am just suggesting to get xdrive car. Because he stated he's going to use the car for daily drive. Thats all.

Last edited by Nobleman; 03-20-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #30
Radamez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 XDrive / Imperial Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
It's called a "false sense of security", yet another thing I forgot to touch on. A HUGE amount of people with AWD/4WD vehicles get way too "confident" in supposedly "miraculous" abilities of such vehicles and end up stuck or with their vehicle heavily damaged or permanently disabled, perhaps because they never studied about the force of friction in their Physics classes (or never finished high school and instead got a G.E.D. or some similar crap). I've personally seen it many times - was quite amusing watching people slide/fishtail all over the road in their trucks with huge "4WD" stickers on their tailgates
I see that mostly with SUV's....it is amusing. Keep the car in low gears and dont slam on your breaks. I made through several snow storms in a 2007 350z. Just take your time.
      03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #31
Radamez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 XDrive / Imperial Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
At least in Jersey you have Public Transportation to fall back on if it gets to bad. Here in the Midwest (outside of Chicago) we are SOL for that type of getting around in heavy snow. But I would sooner stay home and enjoy the day than try to get out and have some A-hole damage my car.
Public transportation sucks BALLS in this state. LOL
      03-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
I have been driving awd cars for the last five years. Our house are located so that cars with fwd have problems driving here in winter even with studded tires. This was my first winter with a rwd car and I sure dont miss awd. Countless times I have been driving past stuck fwd cars.
Xdrive makes the car handle worse 99% of the time you dont need it. It add weight to an already heavy car.
Some magazines here tested the 530d xdrive against the A6 Quattro, and there where no raves over xdrive.
      03-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #33
PeterF11
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F11 5.28i

Without snow, what's the real world use of 4 wheel drive on a car like this? Audi is known for its quattro cars because they do need the traction because of the fact that anything with more than 180 hp at the front wheels is getting useless. However, rwd solves that. Awd adds cost, consumption and weight so why bother?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #34
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleman View Post
I think you misunderstood my comment. I am not trying to say our F10 and F11 are bad car on snow. Everybody knows that rear drive cars are bad on snow. Especially amount of snow we had couple of years in our tristate area, I am just suggesting to get xdrive car. Because he stated he's going to use the car for daily drive. Thats all.
I didn't missunderstand it at all. It's not bad on snow at all. It's actually a very good and capable car on snow and ice, and trust me I would know. I drive my F11 on more snow and ice then you can dream of on the east cost.

You have to think Alaska to get the idea of what kind of roads I am talking about here. The only reason some rear wheel drive cars are bad on snow, is because the driver just cant drive or that the car is really light over the rear wheels. The F10 is perfectly balanced with a 50/50% weight distribution, so that doesn't apply.

I agree that x-drive is better, but you have to be either be running on slicks, or be a shitty driver to not get where you want with a F10/11 with rear wheel drive. If you have a problem with snow and your F10, I'd recommend you get some propper winter tyres. I run my F11 on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #35
Nobleman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 Xdrive Msport TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
I didn't missunderstand it at all. It's not bad on snow at all. It's actually a very good and capable car on snow and ice, and trust me I would know. I drive my F11 on more snow and ice then you can dream of on the east cost.

You have to think Alaska to get the idea of what kind of roads I am talking about here. The only reason some rear wheel drive cars are bad on snow, is because the driver just cant drive or that the car is really light over the rear wheels. The F10 is perfectly balanced with a 50/50% weight distribution, so that doesn't apply.

I agree that x-drive is better, but you have to be either be running on slicks, or be a shitty driver to not get where you want with a F10/11 with rear wheel drive. If you have a problem with snow and your F10, I'd recommend you get some propper winter tyres. I run my F11 on Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7.
Maybe I am thinking wrong. I am not sure about our f10 or 11 but my previous cars which was E60 535i and two other bmws, had lots of problem with snow. I even had the winter tires on. I am a really a big fan of rear drive cars. I really love the pushing power from the back. Thats why I always bought the rear drive cars. Now I am married and soon or later I will have children and I didn't want a have bad experience like before while my kids and wife are in the car. Also I use my F10 as daily drive car. This is the reason I had to give up the rear drive car. Like you said maybe I'm a bad driver but what can you do when your car slip like crazy and couldnt get to the hill(mostly where I live). That even a good driver can do anything about it. Very interesting, if I knew our F10 and 11 dont slip too much I should just bought the rear wheel drive. damn!

Last edited by Nobleman; 03-20-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #36
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

A lot of people get paranoid when they see a snow flake, the bottom line is if you live in the area where it snows 3-4 times per year get the RWD with summer tires for the summer and good winter tires for the winter. A friend of mine has 2009 A8 (very heavy car with Quattro obviously), so few months ago we had nasty snow storm here in New England and he almost crushed his A8 few times within 15 minutes, while I was driving right behind him with ZERO issues. Long story short I had all-season tires and he had summer Hankook tires. Next day he purchased proper winter tires. So get the RWD with two sets of tires for the winter & summer and you will be covered for 99.99% of driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #37
sieben1973
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 "dark grey" 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
AMEN
And Four you catch the man
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #38
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
So essentially you're saying it's the luck of the draw, but what if you must traverse down New Hampshire Avenue in Takoma Park, or are caught on 13th & Florida Avenue, NW or the infamous hill at 4th and Rhode Island Avenue NE??? I agree that common sense and route planning can lessen the chances of a person getting stuck, but having AWD gives you that peace of mind that you can make it home safely!!
What I am saying is that its not worth it in this area. Yeah we have some freak storms once in a while, but mostly the roads are cleared while the snow falls. Most issues you hear about are long traffic jams because of heavy snow when the storms begin and people forget how to drive. So yeah, if there a 100000 cars ahead of you on the beltway that aint moving, you aint going no where with X drive either.

But if that hill on RI ave gets you every winter then get one by all means. Again, its a personal thing and depends on your experience. All the roads I traverse are well salted and plowed (even the main back roads in Potomac and Great Falls), so from my vantage point I have never wished I had AWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

pwrplaya, here's the final advise. xDrive = More Weight, Money, and Fuel. Plus, you're missing out on BMW's pure RWD performance. AWD doesn't mean you don't need winter tires, so don't think twice that "if I get an AWD, I don't need to change out my tires when it's cold." It's false, an AWD car will stop the same distance on snow/ice as a RWD. All seasons and summer tires are not meant to perform when it's cold. 9/10 people who are stuck, is because they don't have the right tires or don't know how to drive.

The final conclusion is: Get a RWD and get winter tires when it's below Zero C out. The 5 series is 50/50 balance and it's a heavy car, it will roll around like a tank no matter what the weather throws at it. xDrive adds 180+ lbs, that's like hauling a fat girlfriend around all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

In Canada you can't get the RWD 5er except in the 528 or the Hybrid - you have no choice with the 535 and 550, both are only xDrive. Personally, I go with xDrives anyway. I know there are a number of arguements on the pros and cons of xDrive and the virtues of winter tires. Firstly, winter tires are a must and anyone who thinks that all-season tires are adaquate in cold weather are only kidding themselves. The rubber compound is much softer in winter tires and that is what gives you the grip - especially when it comes to braking. AWD gives you added traction only under those circumstances when slipage is occurring on the other wheels. BUT that added traction does not give you a safer ride under most conditions. It does help, for example, when you are on back country roads that are not bare pavement and are hilly, windy or whatever. The reality is that the snow depth is not an issue for most of us it is a problem on rare occassions for my area but generally not). So why do I go with xDrive? Becuase of the few times where it does make the difference between getting out to the highway and off of the back roads or not. Very rare times but none the less a factor.
      03-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man View Post
No. you're wrong. 535d and 535d xDrive does 0-100 km / h at the same time, 5.5 sec. For the 530d and 530d xDrive. XDrive is quicker 6.0 sec to 6.1 sec and the 550i xDrive is 0.2 sec faster than the 550i. Same is for 535i xDrive by 0.2 sec faster than 535i, etc. On M550d are xDrive standard because of maximum performance and grip.
Yes from 0-100 due to traction, but after that in real life there's a difference due to drivetrain loss. Either car is nice though, not saying yours or mine is better.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
sieben1973
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 "dark grey" 528i

I have been driving RWD cars all my life, living in Southern Ontario, Canada.
And if you know how RWD handle then you know how to drive them.
We do get some nasty winters but if you live in or close to a Metropolitan area, this would be the best all around set-up (tested and proven to work).
RWD with best All season rain tires you can afford. trust me.
And Four you catch the man
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
No, xDrive and four winter tires are the best choices - at least here in Sweden where winters can be really bad with LOTS of snow...
That's undoubtedly true. But many people in the US are under the mistaken impression that AWD is an alternative to winter tires, so they end up in bad weather with a dangerous combination of AWD acceleration and no control. Probably people in Sweden are more experienced and more sensible about this.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Raleedy: and for people who cant think we have a law that force us to have winter tires if it is winter climate.