2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Out of Warranty N63 Roulette

03-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #23
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Real world tests tend to disagree with that statement.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34114

Also, I don't exactly expect Magnaflow to be against muffler modifications! They are saying that "Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975, 15 USC, 2302 and Clean Air Act 42 of USA code 7541, you have rights." What does that even mean? They're not specifically pointing to any rights pertaining to exhaust modifications that add power. If a car makes more power than it did when it's stock, it's working outside of the intended parameters.
BMW sells Akraprovic Exhausts as their M performance exhausts and installs them with warranty untouched. It does not void a warranty and it would be hard for them to prove it does from that fact alone.

You can believe what you want, the law is cut and dry. Contracts are black and white and MMWA does not govern them if the contract has velvet daggers. I've laid out facts and cited sources, I'm not the only person that feels these "Aftermarket Warranties" are a gamble so I'm officially done on this thread.

OP, A lot of people/reputable companies (Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard, etc) advise to steer clear of these "warranties" for a reason. Sure, some get lucky and get their money worth, but many more lose out on theirs mainly because they never need them. I apologize for clogging up your thread, it's your money so do as you please. There are a ton of resources online like the BBB for reviews on these insurance companies.

I highly recommend talking to the dealer to see if you can get the CPO Gold package warranty or higher. It's an official partial extension of your BMW warranty and you'll have no issues. If you get referred to a 3rd party, ask for an exclusionary warranty. It costs way more but there are no exclusions to what they cover.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 03-22-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Actually, I only read the first few posts (well, most) of this thread and although I may read the remainder, at least as far as I have read, will say that I bought a CPO 2013 535. But, I also bought the extended maintenance since my car had 35k miles and the brakes and other maintenance items were coming due soon, and paying at purchase of the car was cheaper than paying now/later.

That said, when I was car shopping, I fell in love with a couple of 2012/13's with that V8 engine; a 2012 650 convertible and also a 2013 550 M-Sport loaded were in my sights.

After doing some research, I decided that any pre-2014 BMW V8 was a non-starter; period. Just too many scare stories around that motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #25
gearheadred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Thanks everyone, especially SLVSRFR and Amoomaniak, for their input. I did not mean to start any arguments, sorry. I see both sides. In fact, I fully intended to purchase an extended service contract as my warranty was expiring... until I started doing some research. Based on many, many negative reviews on the web it does seem the providers do look for absolutely any reason to deny a claim (Do I really want to swap-out my Summer wheels and possibly remove any mods I might have every time I take it in for service?). And even when claims are honored it sounds like you have to fight tooth and nail to get them to do so - just sounds like a huge headache. In addition, I found some of the most common issues (turbo coolant hoses and oil leaks) would not even be covered under most policies. Granted any non-covered repair on a BMW is probably an expensive headache, I think I will probably roll the dice and cross my fingers that my good luck continues.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

At 75k miles with my 550i. Bought it with 50k. No warranty, no major issues except CCP related and recall related.

My car has intakes, catless down pipes and BMW stage 1. Run it pretty hard too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #27
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

I'd love to hear more opinions on the engine and not the warranty/service contract/legal nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #28
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
I'd love to hear more opinions on the engine and not the warranty/service contract/legal nonsense.

What? Then make your own thread. There's some good info here. The person who made the thread was clearly asking about an aftermarket warranty not the N63 engine. He obviously knows what reliability issues may come with the N63, he was asking about aftermarket warranties and other members opinion on them

There's a ton of threads about the N63 engine. Do a search

Last edited by BlackWidow; 03-23-2017 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #29
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadred View Post
So I've been seeing a lot of "warranty advice" threads lately in regards to which warranty to get for their N63, but not many that have posted they are taking their chances that any future repair costs will not exceed the price of an extended warranty... Anyone else out there that has had good luck with their N63/N63tu vehicle and decided against an aftermarket warranty? Tell me I'm not crazy here (or tell me I am ). Thanks for your input.

I guess I read "Anyone else out there that has had good luck with their N63/N63tu vehicle and decided against an aftermarket warranty" and thought that was the Original Topic.

Have a nice weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #30
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadred View Post
So I've been seeing a lot of "warranty advice" threads lately in regards to which warranty to get for their N63, but not many that have posted they are taking their chances that any future repair costs will not exceed the price of an extended warranty... Anyone else out there that has had good luck with their N63/N63tu vehicle and decided against an aftermarket warranty? Tell me I'm not crazy here (or tell me I am ). Thanks for your input.

I guess I read "Anyone else out there that has had good luck with their N63/N63tu vehicle and decided against an aftermarket warranty" and thought that was the Original Topic.

Have a nice weekend.
I have a 2012 550 with 74k miles on her, got her with 31k miles. I have extended warranty up to 100k or 6/18. So far only had one issue and it was injectors and a coil needing replacement which was covered by the warranty. I have seen a lot of good and bad on the n63 from various people so I can't say one way is right or not, but I will say it has been more reliable than I thought. You must keep in mind you are not getting a moderate performance v6 from say an impala. These are high performance engines not high reliability. Not saying I wouldn't like both but sometimes we have to choose...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #31
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Transporter View Post
I have a 2012 550 with 74k miles on her, got her with 31k miles. I have extended warranty up to 100k or 6/18. So far only had one issue and it was injectors and a coil needing replacement which was covered by the warranty. I have seen a lot of good and bad on the n63 from various people so I can't say one way is right or not, but I will say it has been more reliable than I thought. You must keep in mind you are not getting a moderate performance v6 from say an impala. These are high performance engines not high reliability. Not saying I wouldn't like both but sometimes we have to choose...
Not to mention that we typically only hear when someone is unsatisfied. How many owners do we have who haven't had any or small issues and do not comment on these boards?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #32
gearheadred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Not to mention that we typically only hear when someone is unsatisfied. How many owners do we have who haven't had any or small issues and do not comment on these boards?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. Good point. Again, thanks everyone for their insight.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #33
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Employees at two BMW dealerships in my area told me to stay away from the N63 and its variants, and said that many of their customers have had a bad experience with it. If they say that at the dealership, you know it's really bad. This was AFTER I bought a 550i, of course...

Also, read:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...udy-97440.html

The Audi V8TT in the S6 seems solid - not many reports of issues on that one.

Last edited by visualguy; 03-25-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #34
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Not sure if you guys follow the N63 Facebook Page or if this is someone on the forums, but here's just one example of how an aftermarket warranty can be beneficial. These are the type of stories you won't hear about unless specifically asked. Bigger question is, do you really want to be in a position where you have to spend 12K just to be able to drive your car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #35
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

At 75k miles with my 550i. Bought it with 50k. No warranty, no major issues except CCP related and recall related.

My car has intakes, catless down pipes and BMW stage 1. Run it pretty hard too.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #36
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

The CPO on my 2011 550i is expiring soon (due to time but almost at 100k anyhow). I was able to find a Route 66 Main Street warranty that will cover me for 4-years to 148k miles for about $2,860.

I plan on keeping the car that long but a nice bonus is that if I decide to sell the warranty is also transferable. At that price and term it seems like a no-brainer on a turbo BMW.

Last edited by EZgo; 06-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Price correction
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #37
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
The CPO on my 2011 550i is expiring soon (due to time but almost at 100k anyhow). I was able to find a Route 66 Main Street warranty that will cover me for 4-years to 148k miles for about $2,700.

I plan on keeping the car that long but a nice bonus is that if I decide to sell the warranty is also transferable. At that price and term it seems like a no-brainer on a turbo BMW.
What is and is not covered??
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #38
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
What is and is not covered??
*I corrected my initial price of $2,700 to reflect the additional $160 option Route 66 charges for covering the turbo.

See coverage below. I forgot to include the $0 deductible, roadside assistance, and even a car rental!

"ENGINE Engine parts consisting of: Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, oil pump pickup/screen and tube, pistons, piston rings, wrist pins, connecting rodsand rod bearings, timing gears and chain or belt, timing tensioners/guides, balance shafts, camshaft and camshaft bearings, push rods, rocker arms, rocker arm shaft and hydraulic lifters, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, cylinder head gaskets. Engine blocks are also covered if mechanical failure wascaused by the above-listed parts.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Transmission parts consisting of: Gears, input and output shafts, bearings, front pump, planetary assemblies,transmission case, overdrive carrier, reaction carrier, center support, parking lock actuator, stator and stator shaft, separator plate, pressure regulator valve,dipstick and filler tube, sprags, governor assembly, valve body and torque converter. Chain, drum assembly, solenoids, bushings, accumulator, clutches,bands, servos, parking pawl, speedometer gear, transmission cooler, pistons.

STANDARD TRANSMISSION Transmission parts consisting of: Gears, input and output shafts, bearings, overdrive housing and transmission case if malfunction was caused by the listed parts. Clutch plate, pressure plate, flywheel, release and pilot bearings are NOT included.

DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY (FRONT OR REAR WHEEL DRIVE) Consisting of: Drive shaft, ring and pinion gears, pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axle and axle bearings and limited slip clutch pack assembly. Universal and CV joints, except if boot was damaged or missing. Drive axle housing is also covered if damage is caused by failure of listed lubricated parts.

DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY (4-WHEEL AND ALL-WHEEL DRIVE) Transfer case including gears, main shaft, drive chain, thrust washer and shims,bearings. Front drive shaft, differential, axles, u-joints and CV joints, except if boot was damaged or missing. With Applicable Surcharge.

AIR CONDITIONING Compressor, clutch and coil assembly, evaporator, accumulator and condenser, if factory installed, evacuation/recharge in conjunction with the replacement of listed components.

STEERING Power steering pump, electric steering motor, steering gear housing and its internal parts and rack and pinion assembly.

BRAKES Master cylinder, ABS master cylinder, brake booster, wheel cylinders, disc brake calipers, hydraulic lines and fittings. Coverage does NOT include pads, shoes, drums or rotors.

COOLING Radiator, fan clutch, water pump and cooling fan motor.

FUEL DELIVERY Fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel tank, fuel injectors and metal fuel lines.

ELECTRICAL Battery, engine operation computer, voltage regulator, alternator, wiper motors, wiper module, window motors, window regulators, seat motors, ignition module, ignition coil, distributor, starter, starter solenoid and door lock actuators; manually operated switches for above listed parts.

SEALS AND GASKETS

24-HOUR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE Towing, flat tire changing, fuel and fluid delivery, lock-out service and "jump" starting.

RENTAL CAR In the event of mechanical breakdown of a covered component, the Agreement Holder will be reimbursed up to $40 per day for a rental vehicle for each four hours of covered repair time as determined by a national flat rate guide. Total not to exceed $200. Rental receipts required for reimbursement."

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #39
Hilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi m-sport

I have Route 66 (covers up to 100,000 miles and 5 years) for roughly $2,500...just having that piece of mind that if anything goes wrong it gets covered... had it when I had my 335i and was a Godsend
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #40
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
I have an Assurant (through USAA) warranty (service contract, w/e) and they've been fantastic on my M6. My M6 is straight piped and had Euro software and they still covered my claims for engine work lol. The inspector we have out here is super chill and loves these cars, so he isn't nit-picky on finding the littlest things to deny claims. Very thankful for that.

The indy I take my car says they deal with tons of Assurant warranty holders on e60 M5s, e92 M3s, and even the newer turbo cars and never had issues with getting funding for warranty work done. My M6 is going in monday for an SMG pump issue - that one will be an awkward one because nowhere in the contract does it state "SMG Pumps" lol, but I'm sure the inspector can argue it's part of the transmission and have it covered.
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #41
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamelauncher14 View Post
I have an Assurant (through USAA) warranty (service contract, w/e) and they've been fantastic on my M6...

Do you mind sharing the price and length/miles of the warranty? Route 66 doesn't cover any M's.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #42
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZgo View Post
Do you mind sharing the price and length/miles of the warranty? Route 66 doesn't cover any M's.
I paid $2900 for 2 years/24,000 miles of coverage. I only plan on driving the M6 through summer, then selling it with the warranty as they are fully transferable.

It all depends on mileage though. Higher mileage vehicles (must be under 115k) will have more expensive quotes.
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #43
htyped
Rep
Drives: 550i

coverage

I have a 2011 550i and purchased extended warranty for 7 years inclusive and CPO and it was the best decision ever. Given this model year has had so many issues, I would have been screwed without it.

Car has 70K miles and brought it in for oil change, fuel pump recall, and scratchy sound on cold starts(starter issue). Told SA that I had to refill my coolant and they found leaks to the turbo lines. They also found a leak in the oil timing case that required the whole engine to be dropped to fix. As they were going through it, found a some oil leaks in both turbos. This all got covered under the extended warranty. The only thing it didn't cover is carbon build up that had to be walnut shell blasted. I ended up paying $800 bucks to get it done since the engine was already dropped or else it would be upwards of $5K.

Often it depends on your relationship with the SA. My warranty runs out in October and I asked him if he can have tech check everything. Initial response was no, unless I have something specific for them to check but inadvertently since they found a leak changing the oil, they ended up replacing and checking everything.

I don't drive hard or much anymore and have Dinan stage 2. None of which "should" have resulted in those issue but glad to have had the warranty. Now that it's running out and some of the major things got replaced, I'm ok without additional coverage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #44
V8LIFE
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

57k miles on my 14 550i, the only problem I had is the leaking air suspension which happened last month, and covered by warranty....
Appreciate 0