2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Delay in Connected Drive operating

03-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

It sounds like if the system gets no signal or does not get enough signal at startup it goes into a hibernation mode and only looks for info after some time has passed ( even though you may see the signal bars showing signal its not looking for info till the time limit is up)

When you start 1 mile from home or from the office you have signal so the system works immediately.

My guess this is buried deep in the software for the system and there is nothing the dealer can currently do.
      03-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try this

According to the owners manual I have you can turn off traffic information in Idrive
(Navigation then Options then Receive Traffic Info)

Turn off receive traffic info when you get home next time. Then on the next trip a short while after leaving home when you know you have signal turn it back on in Idrive

See if it then works immediately.
      03-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
Belk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 Series F11 TOURING 520d 5DR

Interesting - I commute 34 miles to work every day from rural(ish) Berkshire to London (underground car park). I can connect to the internet all the way in but never on the way home. I'd always assumed that it was something to do with capacity being reached on the network, but reading this I realise that it must be because I don't get whatever signal is required when I start the car in the car park, and then it never picks it up. I'll try turning the car off somewhere along the route tonight and see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
It sounds like if the system gets no signal or does not get enough signal at startup it goes into a hibernation mode and only looks for info after some time has passed ( even though you may see the signal bars showing signal its not looking for info till the time limit is up)

When you start 1 mile from home or from the office you have signal so the system works immediately.

My guess this is buried deep in the software for the system and there is nothing the dealer can currently do.
Back from a weekend away

Thanks E90Fleet that was my first thoughts but it appears that it is location based rather than time. The other day I left something at home and had to return for it after about 3 miles adding another 6 miles to the journey and about 15 minutes. The system came to life at the same location - not after the same time - if you understand what I mean.

You are probably correct in that it is not something that the dealer can fix on his own - but that is what is making me very angry. The last communication from them was that the test car did the same so there is nothing wrong with my vehicle so they will not take it any further. Didn't his mother every teach him 2 Wrongs don't make a Right!!

Surely this should get referred to someone that does understand it. If it was something like, the engine cuts out when tried to drive up a hill when you leave home would you say just because an similar model does the same, it is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Turn off receive traffic info when you get home next time. Then on the next trip a short while after leaving home when you know you have signal turn it back on in Idrive

See if it then works immediately.
Thanks for the suggestion but its not just the Traffic Info it is everything requiring data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belk View Post
Interesting - I commute 34 miles to work every day from rural(ish) Berkshire to London (underground car park). I can connect to the internet all the way in but never on the way home. I'd always assumed that it was something to do with capacity being reached on the network, but reading this I realise that it must be because I don't get whatever signal is required when I start the car in the car park, and then it never picks it up. I'll try turning the car off somewhere along the route tonight and see if it makes a difference.
Hi Belk - How nice it is to hear that you have the same problem - sorry I didn't mean it was nice for you I'm sorry you have the same problem but I'm glad that someone else can see the issue. I don't know if it is just a problem in the UK - it may be something to do with the networks that BMW are using in the UK (T-Mobile apparently) or it may be world wide. But there is most definitely a design /configuration problem with the system under certain conditions. Whichever it is we have paid a large some of money for the system and it clearly does not work as it should. I appreciate that the system is reliant upon the telecoms signal for its operation but it is BMW that have chosen the provider and it is not something we as users have any control over. Given that there is a signal the system should work as advertised.

I have tried stopping the car on the journey - even switching the ignition off and opening the door before restarting but it did not help.

Look forward to hearing from you
Appreciate 0