2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Irritants

01-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #23
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F10 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Asian View Post
1. why must i turn on auto wipers every time, mercedes just it to auto on day one and never touch it again
I have always thought of this as a good thing.
Suppose they are in "mercedes" mode and you leave the car overnight, it's raining, it freezes... when you start the car the next day... there goes the wiper blades.
Been there, done that!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #24
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Own a 11 535i
- Dislike that I cannot lower the steering wheel lower than granny level

- Dislike that the temp only goes up to 84 degrees... I need higher heat some mornings.

- Dislike that the screen scratches so easily... ended up polishing off all the anti- reflection tint and placed a photodon screen cover 35%. we will see how it works

Dislike that I cannot see any album art or sirius/xm art of stations... such a dull basic radio it is nuts...

Other than above... I love the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #25
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe74 View Post
Suppose they are in "mercedes" mode and you leave the car overnight, it's raining, it freezes... when you start the car the next day... there goes the wiper blades.
Been there, done that!

had mercedes for 5 years never had that issue, the few times I did come out to totally frozen windows, i shut off the wipers and turn the heat on and let the car run for a few minutes while I scrap the crap away
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Asian
Quote:
Been there, done that!

had mercedes for 5 years never had that issue, the few times I did come out to totally frozen windows, i shut off the wipers and turn the heat on and let the car run for a few minutes while I scrap the crap away
maybe those conditions are more common here or its just me thats absent-minded.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #27
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

One thing:
The position on the green LED to indicate that the rain sensor is active.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #28
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie
I don't really have many complaints on my F11 as such.

1. the passenger seat bolster rubs against the center console sometimes when empty (comfort seats/multi contour seats) solved by inflating the seat bolsters or make minor adjustments to the seatback.

2. when stopping the car. The steering column will lift the steering wheel and retract it, but it will not lower and pull the seat back to give more room to exit the car. I know older BMW's did this.

3. in sports mode why on earth do I have to drive around at 2500rpm? its a Diesel for Christ sake.

4. unable to activate voice control (5/12 build date)

5. reversing camera at night as mentioned above (white car), have adjusted brightness and contrast so it kind of works OK now.

6. Front facing camera would be nice to have sometimes.

7. slight wind noise on the drivers door, may just be a matter of adjustment, but I have soft close. Going in for a service soon so will have them look at it then.

8. the cupholders look cheap and nasty + location.

9. the split style opening of the center console compartment.

Options I miss and wish I had.
1. universal garage door opener

2. keyless entry and handsfree tailgate.

3. Adaptive headlamps

4. surround view

5. side cameras in the front fenders.

First world problems eh
Voice control only available in certain languages, like English. If you have Swedish (as I also used to) no voice control available.

Try changing language to English on the iDrive settings and you should have voice control.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #29
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Voice control only available in certain languages, like English. If you have Swedish (as I also used to) no voice control available.

Try changing language to English on the iDrive settings and you should have voice control.
Oh I did, have it set to English, I tried German too.
The voice control selection option in the Idrive is grey and disabled.
I may ask them about it when I take it in for a service in April.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #30
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

My big F10 irritant is that it is not a sport sedan. It's pretty, it's elegant, it's fast, and mine seems very well screwed together. But when I drive it, there is nothing to distinguish the experience from a Lexus, an Infiniti, or even one of the rapidly improving cars like the Fusion.

There used to be an X-factor with BMWs. Several times I'd be curious about another kind of car, drive one, then come back to a BMW and swear I would never leave.

The F10 has no X-factor. It's totally nice. But it's just a car.
      01-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #31
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

My F10 irritant is the throttle response. Is there a way to improve that? Seems I have to press so deep in the pedal before it makes a move from stop...

My E70 X5 has better throttle response than this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #32
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
My F10 irritant is the throttle response. Is there a way to improve that? Seems I have to press so deep in the pedal before it makes a move from stop...

My E70 X5 has better throttle response than this.
The only way I know is to put it in sport mode. To my knowledge, I don't think it can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #33
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Trying to think of mine now, actually...

1. Rear shade rattles a little bit but they're supposed to be working on that.
2. Rear right brake sensor squeaks under braking and has since I got it but they can't replicate it at the shop, so...
3. I had a rattle in my steering column but it seems to have gone away on its own.

I don't mind the seatbelt being set as in the powered chairs you just move up/down to compensate. The cupholders are pretty cheapy looking but I usually have that dash closed which I like anyway.
Throttle response in Sport or Sport+ is like a totally different car. If that's not enough, get a flash tune!
I have M-Sport so the steering wheel is a dream to grip.
Backup cam at night is a little dark, but I have darkened rear taillights so that's kind of my fault too.

I"m sure there's other little piddly stuff but yeah, I love my F10.
      01-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #34
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

1. Why is the low fuel light a tiny, non-descript triangle on the opposite side of the dashboard from the actual fuel gauge?? Was there a problem with having a little yellow light ON the fuel guage, like my e46?

2. Digital/electronic turn signal and wiper controls - a solution for a problem that never existed with manual switches. Even after getting "used" to them, they still annoy me every time I touch them.

3. Which lead to push button rain sensing wipers that default to off and have an indicator light you can't see because it is behind the steering wheel.

4. The steering wheel is like it came straight out of my brothers e28 5 series.

5. The speedo has no 5mph markings. I realize it is not the same in Germany (or more likely England) but virtually every speed limit in the US ends in a 5. It would be nice to know whether or not I am over it.

6. The cup holder in the manual transmission cars is a joke of an engineering solution.

7. Run flat tires that destroy the ride of a car that touts itself as the Ultimate Driving Machine.

8. But you don't notice the crashing ride as much because the handling on the stock suspension is atrocious. It corners like an 80s Buick.

9. Why doesn't iDrive go to the same screen everytime I push the same button on the controller?

There may be more. I would have to say there is virtually nothing the f10 does as well or better than my e46, except hold three child seats in the back.

EDIT: The trunk space is much better than an e46, too.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i

Last edited by mko9; 08-29-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #35
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Been there, done that!
I have fried a wiper motor on mercedes trying to unstuck wipers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #36
Hobbe74
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223
Quote:
Been there, done that!
I have fried a wiper motor on mercedes trying to unstuck wipers.
Ouch, havent done that yet.
But since im absent-minded, especially in the morning before coffee, its a possibility and thats why i like to have to turn on the rain sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

HATE the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #38
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Auto wipers, BMW should issue a warning “dangerous options can lead to no vision due to the lazy auto system” my other area of shock and disbelieve is the seat belts in the back seat and how useless they are with kids car seats, the guy who designed the isofix position with seat belt buckles is a complete idiot! It is ridiculous that for a premium car many of us with kids had to buy seat belt extensions. And yes one more screw up with seat belts with sport seats you need to make sure the belt is over the seat otherwise is constant rattle against the b pillar.
One last one when I open the boot I always end up with rain water going straight into the storage compartment on the side of the boot, I actually need to check if this is with every car or just my one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #39
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
There may be more. I would have to say there is virtually nothing the f10 does as well or better than my e46, except hold three child seats in the back.
Amen to that! I drove an e46 for 10 years before I moved to the F10. While they are certainly different cars and I can appreciate that, the e46 was just a blast to drive. And besides an annual oil change most years, that car was rock solid and built like a tank
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #40
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Amen to that! I drove an e46 for 10 years before I moved to the F10. While they are certainly different cars and I can appreciate that, the e46 was just a blast to drive. And besides an annual oil change most years, that car was rock solid and built like a tank
I had an E46 as well. That's unfair to say towards the F10. It certainly excel in interior quality and comfort. That's assuming we're not comparing new features the e46 didn't have.

BTW the night vision/infared camera system is useless lol. I have yet to find it useful. That thing needs a wider angle. What a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #41
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I really love my F10, but these two things really bother me and I cannot replicate them to the dealer:

Moon roof squeaks all the time when driving on twisties or bumps. Someone here has suggested loosening some of the screws up there but I am not sure I want to compromise the seals myself

During some cold days, when I first get going in my car, I get this strange, brief, conch-like sound. It sounds almost as if something is rubbing against something, rubber on rubber, but its likely not. Of course this can never be replicated...

On a rant note...the screen scratches easily and in certain lights I can see the scratches. The newer Bimmers have a hard screen, but the F10 really sucks. And I am always very careful when wiping the screen. Anyone use the LCD screen wipes that you can buy at Staples?
Although the sunroof on my F10 doesn't seem to be noisy, I owned an Infiniti FX45 with a sunroof that began to squeak like a mo-fo after a couple of years of ownership. Infiniti's solution to the problem was to apply silicone spray to the exposed rubber seals around the sunroof, and it actually fixed the problem!

The problem would return about a year later, but all I had to do to eliminate the issue once again was to spray silicone onto a towel and rub the seals.

Like you, I wouldn't be too keen on loosening screws, so give this a try.

Hope it helps...
      02-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #42
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Although the sunroof on my F10 doesn't seem to be noisy, I owned an Infiniti FX45 with a sunroof that began to squeak like a mo-fo after a couple of years of ownership. Infiniti's solution to the problem was to apply silicone spray to the exposed rubber seals around the sunroof, and it actually fixed the problem!

The problem would return about a year later, but all I had to do to eliminate the issue once again was to spray silicone onto a towel and rub the seals.

Like you, I wouldn't be too keen on loosening screws, so give this a try.

Hope it helps...
This product called Gummi Pfledge works miracles with squeaks. My E60 was a squeaker, a coating of this stuff around the door seals always made the problems go away for 6-9 months.

My F10 on the other hand, which is kind of a buzzkill in other respects, has never made a squeak in 18 months. It's like a rolling piece of stone.
      02-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #43
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
This product called Gummi Pfledge works miracles with squeaks. My E60 was a squeaker, a coating of this stuff around the door seals always made the problems go away for 6-9 months.

My F10 on the other hand, which is kind of a buzzkill in other respects, has never made a squeak in 18 months. It's like a rolling piece of stone.
Did a little research, discovered rave reviews, and ordered one from Amazon...

Thanks for the tip!
      02-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #44
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

How about the fact that the car no longer drives like a BMW and instead rides, handles and steers like my grandfather's old Buick. Honestly, the car is a very boring drive. Quite the disappointment.
Appreciate 0