2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Calling all 2011 535i Owners

05-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Calling all 2011 535i Owners

Decison time...

I would love some feedback from the owners who have the manual 535i cars on the forum as well as the 8 speed automatic owers.

I have had no luck logging real time behind the wheel of a 6 speed manual equiped 535i Sport. I really want to get into a 5 series, and have been reading up for some time about all the owners perspective.

One thing I rarely read is a manual transmission 535i being test driven and bought. I know they are rare, but how is the customer supposed to know if the car meets the needs of the sporting intentions.

I will also add that a 8 speed automatic pairs very well to the 535i engine. I fear that going with a 35i it might not be as fast and fun because of the weight and the spacign of the gear ratios. I have also read the 1st-2nd feel on the manually equiped car is not the same grunt as the v8.

Many will tell me to just go v8 on this one, and to not even consider the I6. But i believe BMW is truly a company that builds the best turbo I6 in the world.

So before i start driving 100s of miles to find a manual 535i, what can people honestly say about the manual equiped 35i. Am i truly better off with the 8 speed or pony up to the 550i stick which we all know is FAST.

I love the BMW brand, I love the idea of the I6... I love the idea of the manual transmission. what other luxury brand gives me these two options... none that i can think of.

Lets start a little discussion because i truly believe there is an answer amoung happy owners out there, and i think its not talked about truly because its just working so well, its not a debate.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Wow, yet another thread. I think I made my thoughts of the 6MT clear in the last thread you made. It's wonderful. The 535i isn't as fast as my old 335i... it's a bigger car. And it drives like a bigger car.

If you want the best handling possible, I'd recommend getting dynamic handling package and IAS. At the very least you need the DHP for "Sport" mode you won't get without it. IAS makes the car feel much more nimble to me. Takes less steering input to get the desired effect. The rear-wheel steering is impressive at making the car feel more nimble.

I'm happy with the power the 535i makes. It's not crazy fast like the 550i but still has plenty of grunt to get the car moving.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. For a long time, BMW's core competency has been the inline 6. The 550i is an incredible car, and if you can afford one and aren't too concerned with gas mileage or resale values or insurance, blah blah blah, I would say go for it. The majority of people will be totally satisfied with the 528 or the 535. The fact of the matter is that in the real world you can't tap into the full power of any of these cars without risking at best a nasty ticket and at worst, jail.

As far as your question about the manual versus the auto....The real question you have to ask yourself is,
1. how am I going to use this car?
2. Can I live with a manual/

If the answer to #1 is, Target, Home Depot and Trader Joes, you're better off with the auto.
If you have a manual now, or were raised on one or are totally accustomed to one without hesitation, then, yes you should get one. But if you're enamored with the idea of one, I would probably stay away. People are enamored with the romanticized idea of the French Riviera, until they go there and find out it's full of cocks.
      05-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

I've noticed from more than a few posts that the 535i has more issues than the 550i.

550 owners always post how happy they are with their car, and how it is perfect without any steering or throttle issues.
535 owners seem to agree more to the presence of issues like steering and throttle.

This could be a just a "pre-sept build" observation. Maybe 535's now are perfect.

Anyway, it's something to consider... and I hope other replies will shed some light on this subject to give you enough data for your final decision.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

i am very happy with my 535i with 8sp auto.

people always say that manual is how much faster, for various reasons. but the thing is, only VERY talented drivers can push a manual car faster especially in racing conditions. the rest of us would be better off focusing on steering input with both hands. Accurate steering is often understated.

but if you like to play with the stick and feel "connected" then there is really nothing to discuss, cuz it's all subjective and personal.

Personally i think driving a stick with a big car on soft suspension is self-defeating.

The e92 4-dr m3 is just as heavy as the F10 535i, but that would be a relatively more appropriate car to be driven in stick simply because the car is built for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Bamsha
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
i am very happy with my 535i with 8sp auto.

people always say that manual is how much faster, for various reasons. but the thing is, only VERY talented drivers can push a manual car faster especially in racing conditions. the rest of us would be better off focusing on steering input with both hands. Accurate steering is often understated.

but if you like to play with the stick and feel "connected" then there is really nothing to discuss, cuz it's all subjective and personal.

Personally i think driving a stick with a big car on soft suspension is self-defeating.

The e92 4-dr m3 is just as heavy as the F10 535i, but that would be a relatively more appropriate car to be driven in stick simply because the car is built for it.
Very well said, I agree on all counts.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Wow, yet another thread. I think I made my thoughts of the 6MT clear in the last thread you made. It's wonderful. The 535i isn't as fast as my old 335i... it's a bigger car. And it drives like a bigger car.

If you want the best handling possible, I'd recommend getting dynamic handling package and IAS. At the very least you need the DHP for "Sport" mode you won't get without it. IAS makes the car feel much more nimble to me. Takes less steering input to get the desired effect. The rear-wheel steering is impressive at making the car feel more nimble.

I'm happy with the power the 535i makes. It's not crazy fast like the 550i but still has plenty of grunt to get the car moving.
True IBIMMER... I do make a lot of these topics and posts on the 5 series stick models. BUt think abou this for a second, i bet you 90 percent of the people here have never driven a f10 6 speed manual 535i. Its sad, but true, you have to blindly order a 66,000 car without really knowing if its the right car for you. The 8 speed auto is fast, and the gear ratios are not the same as the 6 speed.

I realize you are happy with the power, but you don't talk bout the actual drivign of the car, and if there are any instances when you thought you needed another 50 hp....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. For a long time, BMW's core competency has been the inline 6. The 550i is an incredible car, and if you can afford one and aren't too concerned with gas mileage or resale values or insurance, blah blah blah, I would say go for it. The majority of people will be totally satisfied with the 528 or the 535. The fact of the matter is that in the real world you can't tap into the full power of any of these cars without risking at best a nasty ticket and at worst, jail.

As far as your question about the manual versus the auto....The real question you have to ask yourself is,
1. how am I going to use this car?
2. Can I live with a manual/

If the answer to #1 is, Target, Home Depot and Trader Joes, you're better off with the auto.
If you have a manual now, or were raised on one or are totally accustomed to one without hesitation, then, yes you should get one. But if you're enamored with the idea of one, I would probably stay away. People are enamored with the romanticized idea of the French Riviera, until they go there and find out it's full of cocks.
Thanks for that comprehensive answer.

I would be much more inclined to go with a 535i if I really knew it was powerful enough for this new f10 body style… with gas approaching 5 bucks a gallon, it is a little concern, but more of a concern is the fear I get a 66,000 535i and realize the 70,000 550i would have been worth the jump.

BMW has a great manual. I have owned 4 bmw manual cars. So it’s a necessity. I through research, I believe its smoother than even a 3 series. I am using the car for around town, and highway. No family yet, but traveling with friends and family. I enjoy having the space to just enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
I've noticed from more than a few posts that the 535i has more issues than the 550i.

550 owners always post how happy they are with their car, and how it is perfect without any steering or throttle issues.
535 owners seem to agree more to the presence of issues like steering and throttle.

This could be a just a "pre-sept build" observation. Maybe 535's now are perfect.

Anyway, it's something to consider... and I hope other replies will shed some light on this subject to give you enough data for your final decision.

Good luck
Funny, i noticed too the oil burning thing on the 550i... a whole thread. Most of the posts on here are issues with the car. I know nothing is perfect, but really, for me, i just want to make sure a 4000lb car with 300 hp is enough for me to say i am happy without having to jump into a more expensive payment on a 550i with less gas efficieny. I know the power will be there, but i like the idea of a turbo 6 being efficient and powerful. The whole combo... is it a rumor the 540 will come out with more hp in 2012... i know there is always smething better in the pipeline. but the 535i and 550i are great now too... BUt maybe i need that 540i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Thanks for that comprehensive answer.

I would be much more inclined to go with a 535i if I really knew it was powerful enough for this new f10 body style… with gas approaching 5 bucks a gallon, it is a little concern, but more of a concern is the fear I get a 66,000 535i and realize the 70,000 550i would have been worth the jump.

BMW has a great manual. I have owned 4 bmw manual cars. So it’s a necessity. I through research, I believe its smoother than even a 3 series. I am using the car for around town, and highway. No family yet, but traveling with friends and family. I enjoy having the space to just enjoy the ride.
Define powerful enough? I would argue that a 528 itself is not slow, and certainly adequate for overall driving. I would even say it may be a bit more fun anywhere in the North East and mid Atlantic as you can really rev the engine out without putting yourself in jail. Contrast that to a 'Vette ZR1 which does like 90 in second gear at the redline. What fun is a car you can't ever wind out?

A 535 in sport mode certainly is quick (0-60 in 5.5 is nothing to sneeze at) and a 550 is just plain fast. The M5 must be a freaking beast.

But only you can decide. Some people have been torn 528 vs. 535 and think the 550 is overkill. Some people are torn 535 vs. 550. Some people buy the 550 and put a Dinan tune on it. Only you can tell what is enough.

One thing that can be said, though, is that the car is not slow in any form.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Define powerful enough? I would argue that a 528 itself is not slow, and certainly adequate for overall driving. I would even say it may be a bit more fun anywhere in the North East and mid Atlantic as you can really rev the engine out without putting yourself in jail. Contrast that to a 'Vette ZR1 which does like 90 in second gear at the redline. What fun is a car you can't ever wind out?

A 535 in sport mode certainly is quick (0-60 in 5.5 is nothing to sneeze at) and a 550 is just plain fast. The M5 must be a freaking beast.

But only you can decide. Some people have been torn 528 vs. 535 and think the 550 is overkill. Some people are torn 535 vs. 550. Some people buy the 550 and put a Dinan tune on it. Only you can tell what is enough.

One thing that can be said, though, is that the car is not slow in any form.
Okay, my definition of quick/fast… the e60 6 speed bmw 535i. It was nimble and had great grunt. It also weighed about 300 less lbs and its wheel base was a little smaller.

Remember my gripe is only about the 6 speed manual f30 535i. Its no where to be test driven. Unless some kind soul would like to show me their car in the north east, I have to order blindly… I am not sure if I really make my point clear, but it’s the last of a 535i sport 6 speed sitting at the dealer that really has held up my decision. I much rather judge it for myself. I heard from my sales guy that 1st and 2nd are not strong enough in his opinion. Something to do with how close the auto on the 8 speed is spaced, its not that way on the 6 speed.

So again, if someone can point me in the direction of a test drive, my other option is to spec up a 66,000 535i and cross my fingers its my cup of tea. I see why people get frustrated and just jump to a 550i. it covers the speed part… but am I missing out on the perfect sport sedan… not sure…

In reviews people say the 6 speed gets to 60 in 6.0s… well to me, its not that fast at all… actually its slower than an e60 535i…
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Okay, my definition of quick/fast… the e60 6 speed bmw 535i. It was nimble and had great grunt. It also weighed about 300 less lbs and its wheel base was a little smaller.
Unfortunately, I never drove an E60. So I can't compare to that model.

Quote:
Remember my gripe is only about the 6 speed manual f30 535i. Its no where to be test driven. Unless some kind soul would like to show me their car in the north east,
Wanna come to SoCal?

Quote:
I have to order blindly… I am not sure if I really make my point clear, but it’s the last of a 535i sport 6 speed sitting at the dealer that really has held up my decision. I much rather judge it for myself.
Yep, I ordered mine in late April 2010. That was before the cars were even in the U.S. I ordered it totally blind! I had never even drive a BMW 6MT before! My 335i had the 6AT. I went on faith I would enjoy the MT driving experience in the BMW and I am happy to report that part of the car has worked out great.

Quote:

I heard from my sales guy that 1st and 2nd are not strong enough in his opinion. Something to do with how close the auto on the 8 speed is spaced, its not that way on the 6 speed.
I assume you mean that 1 and 2 on the 8AT are not strong enough? I can see what he's saying. I think 1 on the 6MT is kinda weak as well. Well, it feels "weak" anyway. Not that it's actually slow. The car doesn't feel "fast" until the upper part of second gear. At third gear it really pulls hard. I'm not really sure why it feels that way. I don't understand enough about it. I guess something to do with how the torque is delivered in the different gears. The lower gears definitely make the N55 feel more "NA" than "boosty" like the N54 engine. Maybe that's the valvetronic in the N55 making it feel like that.

From a power perspective, I'm happy with the 535i. Could it stand to gain an extra 50hp? Of course, what car wouldn't? I'm not sure what that theoretical question even is supposed to answer. After having driven a 328i in the past, I don't think I would have been happy with the power of the 528i. The 535i is enough for me. I thought the 550i was overkill for driving around the traffic of SoCal.

Yeah, the 550i is fast. But it's so fast that you only get about 5 seconds of fun on the onramp and that's it. If you floor the 550i in traffic, you only have about 3-4 seconds before you have to take your foot off the gas anyway because you're already going 50 which is way too fast on anything but the highway. At least I get a little longer to hear the engine on the 535i.

If you always have 4 people in the car then you may have a better argument to get the 550i. I can definitely feel the loss of speed with 4 people in the car just like everyone else. If you are mostly going to be driving yourself, go for the 535i.

The steering is a totally different topic. The choices there are non-IAS 535i vs. IAS 535i vs. 535xi since they all have difference steering systems. Again, you'll probably have to go on faith there unless the dealer has examples of those cars. I'm assuming since you are interested in "sporty", then you'll get the dynamic handling package no matter what. You need that to be able to stiffen up the suspension to get that extra firm ride. No DHP, no extra firm ride. And believe me, you can definitely tell the difference between "Comfort", "Normal", and "Sport" suspension settings. It's very obvious.

Having not driven an E60, I can't compare the ride of that to the F10. But I'm going to have to assume that the F10 will be a little "softer". That seems to be the consensus, and it wouldn't surprise me. The F10 is definitely a softer, smoother ride than my E93 before. But that feel may have mostly to do with the tires offered on the F10 compared to the brick-hard RFTs offered on the E9x series. If you aren't happy with the feel of the drive on the F10 you can always move away from the RFTs if it means that much to you.

Personally, I think the safety factor of the RFTs outweighs the handling penalty associated with them. But that's a personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Look, it's simple. You like BMWs with manual transmissions? Then that's what you should buy. Prefer an automatic? Then buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
Wow, yet another thread.
Yeah. If you haven't figured it out by now OP, I don't think anyone here can help you. Go find a car to drive.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
BobRBob
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix, Dark Graphite

Quote:

In reviews people say the 6 speed gets to 60 in 6.0s… well to me, its not that fast at all… actually its slower than an e60 535i…
0 to 60 in 6 seconds is not fast at all? Since when? This is a 4 door sedan we're discussing!

I think you need to wait for the M5.
2011 528i Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

Remember my gripe is only about the 6 speed manual f30 535i. Its no where to be test driven. Unless some kind soul would like to show me their car in the north east, I have to order blindly… I am not sure if I really make my point clear, but it’s the last of a 535i sport 6 speed sitting at the dealer that really has held up my decision. I much rather judge it for myself. I heard from my sales guy that 1st and 2nd are not strong enough in his opinion. Something to do with how close the auto on the 8 speed is spaced, its not that way on the 6 speed.

So again, if someone can point me in the direction of a test drive, my other option is to spec up a 66,000 535i and cross my fingers its my cup of tea. I see why people get frustrated and just jump to a 550i. it covers the speed part… but am I missing out on the perfect sport sedan… not sure…

Yes, if you could clarify the point about "1st and 2nd are not strong enough in his opinion". On which transmission?

One thing the auto trans is good at is upshifting early for fuel economy, when left in D. If you put it in S, the car feels MUCH more energetic.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
arthman
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xi

1st bimmer - 2007 530xi with manual transmission
2nd bimmer - 2011 535ix with automatic transportation (3 weeks old and counting)

always drove sticks, and while fun, it did finally get tiring. haven't driven an automatic for 30 years so this was ... different. i do not regret at all. this model is much peppier than my 2007. I can use the paddle shifters when I get a little manual shift lonely. the other issues - the "detatched" feeling, the larger size car feel, etc etc have all been commented on and are less relevant to a discussion of mt vs at for you.

bottom line for me - I do not regret at all moving to the automatic transmission. But again, this is a personal issue and comes down to ... do you like driving a stick or manual.

djinn
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Look, it's simple. You like BMWs with manual transmissions? Then that's what you should buy. Prefer an automatic? Then buy that.

Yeah. If you haven't figured it out by now OP, I don't think anyone here can help you. Go find a car to drive.
Clear, concise... i think as much as I love the reviews you guys have given, my only REAL options are to blindly order the 535i and hope for the best or fly to CA and drive one... or the nearest dealer.

Might just be cheaper to go with a 550i and know for sure its enought power. Then you have the 6.00 a gallon gas. Oh please, there will always be positives and negatives to both cars.

I am extremely satisfied with all the responses here. Sorry i had to beat a dead horse, but it worked, i know so much more about these cars because of you folks. So i appreciate this greatly... and will report back when i have a car int he driveway that is either a 35i or 50i. and promise to be positive! thanks again!
Appreciate 0