2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sport button and Traction control

06-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
speedygago
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Sport button and Traction control

I searched and got mixed results wanted to see if you guys have any input.
I have a 2014 528i, basic model. I do not have the M-sport package. I mention this because I read that sport+ comes with M-sport.

When I put the car in sport mode through the button (sport, comfort, eco), then when I turn the traction control off (either pressing it once or holding it down to completely turn it off) the car goes back to comfort mode.

Same thing happens when I put the gear lever in sport mode and press the sport button. Once I disable traction control the car goes back to comfort mode.

I just feel this doesn't make sense since I cannot turn off traction control when the car is in sport mode for the transmission and chassis.

I just want to be able to drive the car to its maximum sport potential without any driving aids.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Hmm.. strange. I haven't tried to disable traction control manually when in Sport. My car has five (5) settings for Driving Dynamics (center console rocker switch):

1. Eco
2. Comfort+
3. Comfort (default mode)
4. Sport
5. Sport+

In the Sport+ mode, it'll automatically disable traction control. I've not tried to go into Sport, for instance, and manually turn off traction control. Does your car not have the Sport+ option? I've seen discussions around the board here (haven't paid close attention to them, though) regarding some potential differences based upon model, whether you have the sport auto transmission, etc. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

Also, have you tried to first disable traction control (in Comfort) and then switch driving modes? Does it just turn traction control back on again?

I honestly never drive with traction control off (although I can understand the desire if you're looking to play around a bit), so my knowledge here is pretty limited. For curiosity's sake, I'll probably try fiddling with it and let you know if I learn anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygago View Post
I searched and got mixed results wanted to see if you guys have any input.
I have a 2014 528i, basic model. I do not have the M-sport package. I mention this because I read that sport+ comes with M-sport.

When I put the car in sport mode through the button (sport, comfort, eco), then when I turn the traction control off (either pressing it once or holding it down to completely turn it off) the car goes back to comfort mode.

Same thing happens when I put the gear lever in sport mode and press the sport button. Once I disable traction control the car goes back to comfort mode.

I just feel this doesn't make sense since I cannot turn off traction control when the car is in sport mode for the transmission and chassis.

I just want to be able to drive the car to its maximum sport potential without any driving aids.
I've a 2011 F11 535i M-sport package with Comfort, Normal, Sport & Sport+ and that defaults to Normal mode when you hold the DTC button for several seconds, to turn off DSC. Understand that is the normal function according to BMW data.

For me, no issues with that at all, as Sport+ (with DTC activated) is fine for driving on public roads. I don't track the wagon.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quick follow-up.

I took the car out quickly to test the OP's issue. When I put it in regular "Sport" mode, and then I hit the traction control button - either once OR holding it down - it appears to take the car out of sport mode. Instead of showing the Drive icon in the tachometer with "Sport" next to it, it shows "Traction" next to drive. Pushing the Driving Dynamics once "upward" towards Sport, appears to put the car back in Sport but re-engages traction control.

SO, it would appear that my car behaves the same as the OP - where it won't allow the car to be in BOTH Sport mode w/ DSC off or traction off (short and long presses respectively).

However, as I said earlier, I have the Sport+ mode, which allows the car to be in Sport mode PLUS turns off the traction control. What I don't know the answer to, though, is whether Sport+ is available on all 5's (each engine, each transmission, each trim level, etc), including the non-M 528 (potentially without the Sport automatic) as the OP seems to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

You may be confusing traction control and stability control. Normal is Stability Control (DSC) on. Sport mode has DSC on. Sport+ turns off DSC and turns on Traction Control (DTC). This allows more wheelspin when you apply more power instead if immediately cutting throttle like DSC does.

If you don't have Sport+, Sport mode and a short press of the DSC button (Traction mode) is the same as Sport+. Did you say in that situation your car reverted to Comfort? Mine doesn't with Sport/Traction.

In any mode a short press of the DSC button turns DTC (Traction) on and DSC off. A long press of the button turns DSC/DTC off completely, where you can do burn outs or spin the car if you get carried away. Unfortunately, DSC/DTC off completely also takes the chassis back to normal. That definitely seems weird but apparently is by design.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
What I don't know the answer to, though, is whether Sport+ is available on all 5's (each engine, each transmission, each trim level, etc), including the non-M 528 (potentially without the Sport automatic) as the OP seems to have.
It looks like you worked through the answer pretty well yourself... Sport + is on models that have SAT with shift paddles (which most people have). No SAT, no Sport +
      06-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

I believe what the op is experiencing is normal. On the F30, it works the same way. Once the traction button is hit to engage DTC, it will take you out of Sport mode and put you in Comfort. If you go to Sport+, then DTC is engaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
speedygago
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I don't think I have the sport+ option, I just have eco, comfort, sport and I can move the transmission lever to sport which just says S1-S8 on the dashboard. No indication of it saying Sport+ regardless of how many buttons I press. I don't have paddle shifters, and I just have the regular 8-speed automatic transmission. I guess what I'm experiencing is normal, weird if you ask me but thats how BMW wanted. Thanks for clarifying guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I believe what the op is experiencing is normal. On the F30, it works the same way. Once the traction button is hit to engage DTC, it will take you out of Sport mode and put you in Comfort. If you go to Sport+, then DTC is engaged.
Agreed - however, it sounds like that OP doesn't have Sport+, which appears to only be available on cars with the Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT). In this case, does the OP have no option, as he put it, to drive his car to its absolute performance limits?

Without dynamic dampers (which I assume he doesn't have), the Sport setting would only affect the drivetrain settings - throttle responsiveness, gear holding, etc, correct? In my car with DHP, it also adjusts the damper stiffness, but I'm assuming he doesn't have DHP. Therefore, I'm not really sure what he'd lose by being in Comfort mode - can you not still manually shift the transmission with the regular AT using the console lever? That would seem to eliminate any "benefit" that Sport mode provides otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygago View Post
I don't think I have the sport+ option, I just have eco, comfort, sport and I can move the transmission lever to sport which just says S1-S8 on the dashboard. No indication of it saying Sport+ regardless of how many buttons I press. I don't have paddle shifters, and I just have the regular 8-speed automatic transmission. I guess what I'm experiencing is normal, weird if you ask me but thats how BMW wanted. Thanks for clarifying guys!
I think that's the correct conclusion.

If you ask me, though, I don't think you're losing much of anything. In cars with the Dynamic Handling Package (dynamic dampers and active roll stabilization), the Driving Dynamics modes affect the chassis as well as the drivetrain. For instance, going from Comfort+ to Comfort to Sport to Sport+ adjusts the suspension, as well. Without DHP, though, the Driving Dynamics modes only impact the drivetrain - how twitchy the throttle is, how it holds gears, and the stiffness of the steering I believe. Maybe there's something else I'm missing?

If that's the case, though, you can just shift manually in comfort mode with traction turned off. Responsiveness will be left to your right foot, and your right hand will control gearing... so, perhaps the only thing you may lose is stiffer steering feedback?

I do find it still that you can't completely disengage the safety systems and remain in Sport mode, though, with the normal AT. Maybe that's also a way to encourage buyers to step up to the SAT.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

I've wondered about this as well, but from the perspective of a manual transmission. My car is a 2013 Msport, with the Dynamic Handling Package, which that year at least included dynamic damper control. My toggle has Comfort +, Comfort, Sport & Sport +.

I rarely use Sport +. Engaging it seems to do as indicated above, turn off the DSC. But since I shift my own gears, what do the different setting really do other than slightly adjust the way the suspension operates? I'd be very interested to know.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
I've wondered about this as well, but from the perspective of a manual transmission. My car is a 2013 Msport, with the Dynamic Handling Package, which that year at least included dynamic damper control. My toggle has Comfort +, Comfort, Sport & Sport +.

I rarely use Sport +. Engaging it seems to do as indicated above, turn off the DSC. But since I shift my own gears, what do the different setting really do other than slightly adjust the way the suspension operates? I'd be very interested to know.
Bill - my understanding is that for those without DHP, the driving dynamics only impact the drivetrain - throttle response, gear holding, and steering weight. For a manual, I guess you'd take gear holding out of the equation. When you go into Sport, do you feel an increase in throttle response and steering weight, aside from the stiffer suspension?

In the auto cars, I suspect that part of the throttle responsiveness is due to keeping the car in a lower gear, but I was under the impression that it also slightly adjusted the touchiness, if you will - less travel produces more instant reaction, similar to what I'd expect would happen if you drove very aggressively all the time and the adaptive aspects of the transmission "learned" this style from you.

All of that said, don't you love the DHP? I get a smile on my face just thinking about it - I really think it's one of the best bangs for the buck for options. Combining this chassis change with drivetrain change when clicking that rocker switch really makes the car feel like it's transforming personalities.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

I like to push it into Sport as I'm accelerating into an on-ramp. It is interesting. By pushing the button, rather than pushing the gas pedal, the car accelerates quite noticeably. But it is different. I feel a tightness in the steering and the chassis. Or so I imagine. I guess that is why I was asking. I generally prefer the car in Sport for the perceived handling superiority.

The DHP is a great option. I have to say though that when I am carving a canyon or otherwise motoring along, listing to some spectacular music, the B&O audio system is right up there.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

when I go to sport my car completely changes. I have the dynamic M suspension with adaptive drive (active sway bars).
My car stiffens the suspension and the handling is greatly improved, steering gets heavier, throttle is more sensitive and the gearbox goes into sport mode.

Only thing I don't like is the gearbox change. I don't want to be driving along at 2500rpm on my diesel engine just to get the handling benefit.
Yes, I can use the gearbox in manual to avoid this, but if that was the case I would have got a manual transmission.

I know you can program sport, but I have not looked into just removing the transmission change, I guess that would also remove the throttle, which I really like in sport.
I'm not at home at the moment so this is not something I can check for another 3 weeks.

I don't have comfort+, I have eco-pro, comfort, sport and sport+
Appreciate 0