2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Ditched OEM Runflats for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Non Runflat

07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Since I've had my 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport(With M-sport suspension) I always noticed that the suspension didn't seem to absorb small road irregularities or some bumps very well, as if the suspension crashes. Over all the car rode great but brick roads and small bumps gave me anxiety. LOL

My car now has 12,700 miles and noticed that the rear Runflats are close to being needed for replacement. I bought a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Non Runflat tires and had them installed yesterday and had the car aligned as well.

I couldn't be happier with the change in tires. The car now rides like a true sport luxury sedan. It absorbs the road imperfections in ways the OEM Dunlop RunFlats could never even come close too. Ride is smoother, and MUCH quieter as well.

After I originally purchased my 535i a few weeks later I had wished I had ordered one with the Dynamic Damper Control $1,000 option for the fact that I would like the car to ride better over brick roads etc etc.

For those of you with the same thoughts, save that $1,000 and use it towards the purchase of Non RunFlat tires.

I now no longer regret not getting the Dynamic Damper Control. Non RunFlat tires will solve the ride quality issues some owners complain about.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Good deal, but what will you do if you get a flat tire 50 miles from home at 1AM? I hate the fact that our cars don't have a spare tire well. I need to purchase tires for my winter rims and am torn whether to go with run flats or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Good deal, but what will you do if you get a flat tire 50 miles from home at 1AM? I hate the fact that our cars don't have a spare tire well. I need to purchase tires for my winter rims and am torn whether to go with run flats or not.
Call BMW Assist. or Fix a flat.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

I bought the mini spare and jack as I have non-RFTs for winter. You obviously lose a bit of space, but gain piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport
Since I've had my 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport(With M-sport suspension) I always noticed that the suspension didn't seem to absorb small road irregularities or some bumps very well, as if the suspension crashes. Over all the car rode great but brick roads and small bumps gave me anxiety. LOL

My car now has 12,700 miles and noticed that the rear Runflats are close to being needed for replacement. I bought a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Non Runflat tires and had them installed yesterday and had the car aligned as well.

I couldn't be happier with the change in tires. The car now rides like a true sport luxury sedan. It absorbs the road imperfections in ways the OEM Dunlop RunFlats could never even come close too. Ride is smoother, and MUCH quieter as well.

After I originally purchased my 535i a few weeks later I had wished I had ordered one with the Dynamic Damper Control $1,000 option for the fact that I would like the car to ride better over brick roads etc etc.

For those of you with the same thoughts, save that $1,000 and use it towards the purchase of Non RunFlat tires.

I now no longer regret not getting the Dynamic Damper Control. Non RunFlat tires will solve the ride quality issues some owners complain about.
Any further impressions you can share about the tires? I am about to order a set and the reviews are great but was just looking for any additional perspective of how they play with the F10. Do you have a staggered setup? Any pics of them installed? Ect.

Thanks in advance man!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport

Any further impressions you can share about the tires? I am about to order a set and the reviews are great but was just looking for any additional perspective of how they play with the F10. Do you have a staggered setup? Any pics of them installed? Ect.

Thanks in advance man!!
I had the M 19" rims with Michelin run flats- didn't know better but it was rough over potholes (have DDC and ARS ) and when I punched it they couldn't hold the torque. Often felt like they would break free slightly on hard cornering- basically felt hard and not sticky.

Added ACS springs and it felt more firm into corners but added to the harshness (not the most clever plan on my part). Then bought a new set of M5 stock rims with Michelin PPS and the world changed. The new rims are 20" so theoretically should be harsher over bumps but its light years above the 19" run flats.

The car is now epic for its size and takes 35 mph corners at 80 without effort. You still feel the potholes but they don't feel as though they will shatter your rims and explode your tires. I can break the tires free easily but purposefully, not leaving a light with a moderate foot. Plus the breaking is there and the most exciting upside.

Cannot imagine how you would feel disappointed
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

I've had the new tires for two weeks now. Nothing negative about the switch. The ride quality is MUCH better than before. No crashing over bumps, The suspension now handles irregularities with ease and the car has a relaxed supple feel while on the road. Handling has NOT been affected. It is stable, steering centers perfectly and it tracks straight. Road noise has also decreased.

My Mom has a 535i with the Active shocks on non sport 18" Runflats and my car with M-Sports Suspension with Non runflats rides smoother and and better than hers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
I had the M 19" rims with Michelin run flats- didn't know better but it was rough over potholes (have DDC and ARS ) and when I punched it they couldn't hold the torque. Often felt like they would break free slightly on hard cornering- basically felt hard and not sticky.

Added ACS springs and it felt more firm into corners but added to the harshness (not the most clever plan on my part). Then bought a new set of M5 stock rims with Michelin PPS and the world changed. The new rims are 20" so theoretically should be harsher over bumps but its light years above the 19" run flats.

The car is now epic for its size and takes 35 mph corners at 80 without effort. You still feel the potholes but they don't feel as though they will shatter your rims and explode your tires. I can break the tires free easily but purposefully, not leaving a light with a moderate foot. Plus the breaking is there and the most exciting upside.

Cannot imagine how you would feel disappointed
That is great feedback. I too am deciding on getting ACS springs and 20" wheels.

Not to de-rail this tread, but my concern is that 20" wheels will yield less tire to absorb the road (I will get non RFT on either my current 19s or new 20s (style 356). Adding ACS springs may reduce my shock absorber life, and 20s may make it worse. I don't mind to "pay to play"; however, I don't want to add say 50% more wear and repair. My car is bought, not leased.

M5 wheels are good compared to others because they are forged and lighter.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have had the Michelin A/S 3 for 2 weeks now. They are extremely noisy from 25-60 MPH and above 80. Almost sounds like a metallic hum or whining noise. So much so that I am returning them under the 30 day michelin guarantee. Maybe try another set or go with something different altogether. They do feel and handle pretty well, even in this 4500 LB 550xi, but the car is so damn quiet that if the radio is off, the tire noise drives me nuts. Makes the car feel less premium, and with the weather getting colder, I don't know if they're going to get worse or better.

Not may options in the A/S performance tire market.... Considering the DWS, even though people have complained about the mushy sidewalls. I had the DW summers on my 335d and enjoyed them. The 5er is already not a super handling machine - it weighs a ton. Although with the ARS package, some springs, Dinan shockware SW and summer tires it's not 1/2 bad. Nontheless...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just installed Conti DWS today - to replace the loud A/S 3's I had last.

I had the OEM RFT's, replaced with Michelin A/S 3 which were great, with one huge exception - they were awfully loud.

Fast forward to this morning - DWS installed, all tire noise gone. Compared to the Pilot A/S 3's the sidewalls are mabye 10-20% softer, honestly barely noticable. Haven't been able to push the DWS (until 500-600 mile break in) but I know they won't handle as good in as the A/S 3 in the dry at the limits, but for a 5er and street driving, they're superior. If I had an M5 or a much lighter car in general, I wouldn't go with the DWS. But... the 5er, especially the F10, is a luxury sport sedan, with greater emphasis on luxury.

Just my 2 cents.

Pilot Sport A/S 3 were 255/40/19 - they run wide and it shows.

DWS are 245/40/19 - they run narrow and it shows, especially compared to the Michelin's which are 10mm wider in size.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

I like the Michelins more.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Boardman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

So what's the deal?

Some report the Michelin pss are quieter than oem run flats...and some report they are much louder. All on the sport rims? Different roads?

I'm on the fence about replacing mine...many conflicting reports. I know there are many threads on this...and I'm still confused.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassM
I like the Michelins more.
The Michelin look better and feel better. But are louder and drive a bit harder.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman
So what's the deal?

Some report the Michelin pss are quieter than oem run flats...and some report they are much louder. All on the sport rims? Different roads?

I'm on the fence about replacing mine...many conflicting reports. I know there are many threads on this...and I'm still confused.
We are talking here about the pilot a/s 3 all seasons not the pilot super sport (PSS) which are high performance summer.

PSS are amazing. Best all around high performance summer tire by leaps and bounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

My Michelin A/S 3 are actually extremely quiet. I have no complaints about them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
bmw_rrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535xi m-sport

I have them in 20's and they are quiet and handle well.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update.....

I originally purchased a set of 255/40/19 for my F10 550i. Had them on for 1500 miles, and they felt amazing but were the loudest tire I've had on any of my 8 cars, including OEM. They were awful between 30-60mph on all roads, and unbearable on any rough/uneven road. Car has 68 miles on it when I put them on, so no issues with alignment, wheels, hubs, ect.

Fast forward I get them replaced under Michelin 30 day guarantee and swap for a set of 245/40/19 Continental DWS The conti's are 10mm narrow and run narrower even in the same size, but I was willing to deal with that. 1300 miles later and the Conti's are the quietest tire ever, but also the softest and mushiest sidewall. In my 4500+ lb 550xi, with ARS, this was an awful combo. Steering response was the polar opposite of the OEM RFT whereas the A/S 3 Michelin's were 75% as good of a feel as the RFTs. Being an XI, I would have these tires on year round, and even knowing that the DWS were amazing in winter, I couldn't deal with the mush feeling. I've driven the DWS on an E90 (my friends) and had the summer Conti DW on my 335d, but on a 5 they were just too much for me.

Fast forward again, under the Continental 60 day guarantee I swap back to a set of Michelin A/S 3's, but this time in a smaller (factory) size of 245/40/19. Performance continues to be beyond impressive, in both the dry and wet (to early to tell for snow, but I'm assuming they'll be mediocre at best unlike the awesome DWS), HOWEVER, the noise emitted from the original set is 75-80% no longer present. My assumption is the original set, or at least 1 or more tires was defective somehow.

In the past I've driven on:

Continental DW
Continental DWS
Continental ContiSport Contact 2
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Falken FK452
Hankook Ventus V12
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW
Goodyear Eagle LS-2 RFT
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT

It's hard to make a true apples to apples comparison given that I drove all of those on different cars, in different sizes, but my general sentiment is that the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are easily the best all around All Season, bar none, and are better than many summer tires in dry and wet grip, and obviously crush the summers in treadwear. I strongly recommend them....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
berkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550ix

Cool, I'm going to source a compact spare and replace the OEM RFT tires in the Spring with Michelin PSS on my 2013 550ix. I was trying to see if there was a decent "+0" option keeping the stock M Package 19" wheels. Per a tire calculator the 255/40/19 would be 1.2% too slow, which isn't too bad. Also, 265/35/19 is 1.5% too fast, but I'm not sure if those would be getting a little too fat for the rim.

Another option is to leave the RFT on the OEM wheels for winter, and get new 20" wheels/tires, possibly the staggered setup...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Great write up by Scott 135i on his experience with Conti and Michelins.
I have the Conti DWS on wife's E60 sport package and yes...they're quiet, comfortable, and a bit MUSHY but way better than the noisy, harsh Dunlop RFT that came on the car. For my F10 M Sport, however, I'm on the fence between the the Conti and Michelin AS/3 but leaning towards the Michelin. Interesting observation by Scott 135i...he mentioned the Conti were narrower by 10mm. Tire Rack specs show sectional and tread width actually wider for the Conti when compared to the AS/3. Tire width is important to me (without changing actual tire profile. Anyone comment on real world vs vendor specs? Thanks

BTW: Pic below is of wife's E60 with Conti DWS after 20K+ of stop and go city driving. No noise or uneven wear. No high performance either, though (lol), just a good grocery getter tire.
Attached Images

Last edited by HDEddie1; 10-01-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Boardman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

Thanks for the update Scott

I'm leaning towards the AS3s
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2

Anyone get the Michelene A/S 3 on 20" wheels? I need some tires for the front of my 331 19s; however, I may just try to step into a set of 20s.

Thanks for all the great info on the A/S 3.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
I used to switch to a separate set of winter tires for my last several cars, but decided to go with the A/S 3 high-performance all seasons this time around, replacing the stock 19" Michelin Primacy HP summer RFTs. I only have 600 miles on them so far, and the tire noise and ride comfort seems comparable to the original tires. I think they're relatively noisy especially considering how insulated the F10 is, but it's nowhere as bad as other tires I've owned before. Road grip has been great during spirited driving in the dry, rain, and sub-freezing temperatures. I purchased/installed through Costco for about $1150 which included sales tax and a $70 instant manufacturer rebate. Costco provides free tire hazard insurance, wheel balancing, rotations (not an option on staggered setup), and nitrogen air for the lifetime of the tires.
Appreciate 0