2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Offset question about Morr 8.2

06-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
e_magun
Rep
Drives: F10 523I

Offset question about Morr 8.2

Hi guys, I have an offset question about my 20" Morr 8.2, when I installed it last summer I immediately realized that the front wheels are 0.5-1.0 inch out from the fender and then I drove it for almost a year now. It drove fine and then in the past few months, sometimes just after I started the car (let's say for the first 5mins), the wheels will have large "gong" sound before complete stops. Then I thought it might be some brake dusts on the brake so I just put the problem aside.

Yesterday I took my car to BMW dealer for my yearly maintence and told my techniqian about this problem, he immediately said it's caused by the wrong wheel's offsets. He described the problem but it was too technical that I didn't quite understand (I'm a noob in wheels). He then asked me if my car feels retarted when making turns, I said well yes but I thought this is normal for changing to bigger wheels, it's most obvious when I make big turns then accelerate. He told me that this is because I have the wrong set of rims. He then describes this is like someone with size 8 feet but wears a size 10 shoes. Lastly he said my back wheels were out slightly as well but they were acceptable.

When I look at the photos on this forum with aftermarket 20", I don't see anyone that has this issue. I'm quite sure that I cannot install KW V3 shocks because my car will definitely sit on the front wheels. This makes me frustrated because I spent quite alot on these wheels (>$3500) and I trusted Morr that they said they have exclusive offset details that will not expose to the public.

Basically I came out with a few options and hopefully you professional can help me out.

1) the techniqian knows nothing about aftermarket wheels and I'm overly sensitive, the wheels are normal and should run fine

2) Morr did this offset on purpose to give the car an aggresive look

3) I'm the unlucky one to get a defected wheels with wrong offsets or Morr sent me the wrong set of wheels at the beginning

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance for your response.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
e_magun
Rep

Hi Carlos, thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that i have install H&R springs and did alignment. The techniqian at BMW actually put a piece of paper at the fender 90degrees to the floor and the edge of the paper is only touching the side of the tire. Here are some pics:

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Cal@MORR
Banned
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

I think you may have a suspension issue unrelated to the wheels themselves. I'd double check and see if the H&R springs were installed properly, the noises you describe are in-line with springs that are not settling properly, perhaps a shifting spring pad. This problem would get worse with time as the pad would get worn down by the improperly positioned spring.

Thanks for the pics, from what I can see there is nothing wrong with that setup. The first picture just outlines the more aggressive front offsets we tend to utilize on the F10 but unless you are rubbing tire against fender there should be no other issues that'd be caused by the wheels themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
e_magun
Rep

hi Cal, so what you're suggesting is the suspenion problem (not install properly)? Some of your terms are so technical and i dont quite get it. Do you actually mean if i ask someone to reinstall the front springs will solve both wheels coming out from fender and the brake sound issues? Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Just my two cents but the 20x9 VS8.2 have a pretty conservative offset and I've added 12mm spacers to push them out flush to the fenders. From the looks of it your car looks higher then normal F10's i've seen with H&R springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

When you lower the f10 (more than you have though), the front wheels cambers in a lot.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
e_magun
Rep

Thx for the comment guys, so you guys think it's the front springs problem or the installation issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
bdpqb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 520i

nice offset
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
e_magun
Rep

Hi Cal and Carlos, the techniqian at BMW told me today that he had disassembled the front wheels and saw the H&R springs were installed properly. Do you have any ideas that caused the problem?
Appreciate 0