2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Massive/complete Audio Install - Little Help Here...

02-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i RWD Black on black

Massive/complete Audio Install - Little Help Here...

ok guys, first off, I am damn good with mobile audio/video and sound systems etc, etc. BUT...I have a question: What are my options for bypassing the factory amp? I will be having my installer that has done an insanely good job on all my cars do this one as well. he has done many. the only thing I will be keeping as far as the audio/sound system is the OEM interface/Nav etc. the "head unit" so to speak. that will stay OEM. my installer wants me to upgrade to a BIT 1 processor and go Active but that's an extra $1300 just for the processor! I know there has to be a simple way around bypassing the factory amp other than that. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? incase you are wondering, here is the system components:

SPEAKERS: In the doors will be Focal 165KRX3 3 way components. beautiful speakers and sound.
SUBWOOFER: the sub is a JL Audio 13W7 in a JL ported box.
AMPS: for the 3ways: Alpine PDX-F6 600W RMS 4ch. for the sub: JL slash series 1000/1

Anyway, if someone can enlighten me on my factory amp bypass options for this car, I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

What sound system you have?
Hi-fi
or
top hi-fi?
      02-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
What sound system you have?
Hi-fi
or
top hi-fi?
that's a good question...how do I tell? lol sorry...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimmerlyjr View Post
that's a good question...how do I tell? lol sorry...
Do you have tweeters in the front door?
Also, do you have central speaker?
Do you have equalizer option in your CIC / NBT?
      02-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have tweeters in the front door?
Also, do you have central speaker?
Do you have equalizer option in your CIC / NBT?
the tweeters are in the front door apillar.
yes I have a central speeker.
yes I have an equalizer option.....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
the tweeters are in the front door apillar.
yes I have a central speeker.
yes I have an equalizer option.....
you have amp which gives takes digital input.
So you either go with the recommendation of your installer or get your CIC coded to hi-fi to covert the signals from digital to analogue. (Simple way of bypassing your factory amp).

So your installer will have to add harness taking signal from the back of unit to amp / dsp and the back to speakers. IF I was you, I would leave the sound system as it is. You better sound system than many others out there.
      02-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you have amp which gives takes digital input.
So you either go with the recommendation of your installer or get your CIC coded to hi-fi to covert the signals from digital to analogue. (Simple way of bypassing your factory amp).

So your installer will have to add harness taking signal from the back of unit to amp / dsp and the back to speakers. IF I was you, I would leave the sound system as it is. You better sound system than many others out there.
well you are right. for OEM it is a phenomenal sound system. if someone were to replace it with an entry level system I would certainly frown upon that. however, idk if you have ever heard a properly set up system with components like mine, but it BLOWS the OEM system out of the water in every way including SQ not just volume. I am a bit of an audiophile so its worth it to me . but thank you very much for your response and advice I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
well you are right. for OEM it is a phenomenal sound system. if someone were to replace it with an entry level system I would certainly frown upon that. however, idk if you have ever heard a properly set up system with components like mine, but it BLOWS the OEM system out of the water in every way including SQ not just volume. I am a bit of an audiophile so its worth it to me . but thank you very much for your response and advice I really appreciate it!
Good to hear that you are audiophile. If you click on facebook logo in my signature, you can see few of the sound systems which I setup. There are few others on E9x forums what I have done.
So I understand what you are saying.
      02-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
RFIDMP3
Rep
Drives: 2015 535 Xdrive

I also have the top hifi system(16 speakers). I replaced the 8's and front door mids and tweets with the MB Quart QM200.3 system. I then replaced all the remainder speakers with the Bavsound drop-ins all running from OEM 600w amp. my 2 10'' JL subs are running off of a 600w JL amp and using a AudioControl LC6 to process the signal. I've had several BMW's with full custom systems before but this is one of the best sounding systems I've had and you can't beat the cost!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIDMP3 View Post
I also have the top hifi system(16 speakers). I replaced the 8's and front door mids and tweets with the MB Quart QM200.3 system. I then replaced all the remainder speakers with the Bavsound drop-ins all running from OEM 600w amp. my 2 10'' JL subs are running off of a 600w JL amp and using a AudioControl LC6 to process the signal. I've had several BMW's with full custom systems before but this is one of the best sounding systems I've had and you can't beat the cost!
that sounds like a pretty nice clean setup. I have s question...how did you do the 8" swap? did you replace them with other 8"s? or did you make a speaker ring for 6.5's? my installer is going to cut my doors where the little storage pocket is and mold my 6.5's in the doors pointing up towards the seats just a bit. the 4" midrange and the tweeter will go in the factory locations. my W7 was 9-10 years old LOL so I sold it. I had a custom ported enclosure made with 4cu/ft of air space for my new Kicker L7 15" sub ...should be fun
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIDMP3 View Post
How do you like the MB Quartz QM200.3? any significant difference with the MB QUARTZ subwoofers?
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

so this weekend is finally the weekend for the install! extremely excited!!

SPEAKERS: FRONT:under the seats will be Focal 165KRX3 6.5" woofers. the doors will contain the mids and highs of these 3-way components. beautiful speakers and sound.
REAR: 4 HERTZ 4" component sets in factory locations.
PROCESSOR: Audison BIT 10
SUBWOOFER: the sub is a kicker 15" L7 in a custom 4.0 cu/ft ported box.
AMPS: for the 3ways: Alpine PDX-F6 600W RMS 4ch. for the sub: JL slash series 1000/1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

SPEAKERS: FRONT:under the seats will be Focal 165KRX3 6.5" woofers. the doors will contain the mids and highs of these 3-way components. beautiful speakers and sound.
Ahhhh.... I hate you! So lucky! How will that sound having the 6.5 under the seat instead of on the door somewhere? Definitely post some install pictures if you could! A shop wanted to run 5.25 Hertz front/rear and JL audio subs for my setup.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:

Ahhhh.... I hate you! So lucky! How will that sound having the 6.5 under the seat instead of on the door somewhere? Definitely post some install pictures if you could! A shop wanted to run 5.25 Hertz front/rear and JL audio subs for my setup.
It will sound fine. If it were a two way setup in the front it would sound like shit!! But its a 3 way setup in the front so 95% of the vocals will be in the 3.5" mid in the door location. Mainly midbass coming from the 6.5 in this setup actually. Surprised me at first in real life actually...but it will sound fine
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm guessing your crossover will be in the door mounted somewhere So you'll end up having to run a speaker wire from the crossover from the door and underneath the seat somehow...that's gonna be a pain!
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing your crossover will be in the door mounted somewhere So you'll end up having to run a speaker wire from the crossover from the door and underneath the seat somehow...that's gonna be a pain!
Well that will be up to my installer but im sure we will mount it somewhere before the door and run wires from there. My installer will probably remove my carpet etc for the install to do it 100% clean and correct.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sweet ! Be Nice to see some install pictures. I'll keep this thread saved when I get my system done come this summer. Your setup Sounds like the way I want to go. Let me know if your installer had to make changes due to Maybe something didn't work out as planned.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #18
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet ! Be Nice to see some install pictures. I'll keep this thread saved when I get my system done come this summer. Your setup Sounds like the way I want to go. Let me know if your installer had to make changes due to Maybe something didn't work out as planned.
Absolutely! I will try to keep bothering him for pics!! Lol
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome....pictures are always a plus! Are you planning on running a 2nd battery? My audio shop suggested it. Have you thought about whether the car will throw fail codes for any reason? I saw previous threads that it might?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #20
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome....pictures are always a plus! Are you planning on running a 2nd battery? My audio shop suggested it. Have you thought about whether the car will throw fail codes for any reason? I saw previous threads that it might?
Nah it wont. Maybe if we changed something about the head unit. But we are essentially just piggybacking off the OEM signals, flattening them out then adjusting them to our liking with the Bit10 processor and adding lots of power . My guy has done a few F10's. Hes legit. He does Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Porsches etc. he really knows his stuff.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah it wont. Maybe if we changed something about the head unit. But we are essentially just piggybacking off the OEM signals, flattening them out then adjusting them to our liking with the Bit10 processor and adding lots of power . My guy has done a few F10's. Hes legit. He does Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Porsches etc. he really knows his stuff.
Sweet! I'm still looking for other shops that actually worked on a F10. I wanna make sure they do it right. U have a pictures of the bit10 processor and where do you put it?
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #22
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Sweet! I'm still looking for other shops that actually worked on a F10. I wanna make sure they do it right. U have a pictures of the bit10 processor and where do you put it?
I sure don't! we haven't installed it yet. however, I will stress the importance of documenting the install to my installer
Appreciate 1