2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Questions on proper brake bleed procedure (DSC)?

10-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Questions on proper brake bleed procedure (DSC)?

Time to change the brake fluid (pressure bleeder + ATE SL.6 here), but I am not sure about one thing.

From what I can see in ISTA/D the proper process is like for any other car - suck out what's in the reservoir (optional), attach pressure bleeder, pump it up to 10-20 psi (ISTA/D says up to 2 bars which is a bit high), and then bleed valves - RR->RL->FR->FL. So far so good. Now, the uncertainties I have concern DSC - from what I can understand DSC wouldn't be flushed during that process since the lines are closed there. ISTA/D is somewhat unclear here, it says 'follow instructions for DSC bleeding' which basically is a full 'normal' bleed and then (?) to use an ISTA/D function to open open/vibrate the DSC to flush it as well. On the other hand it seems DSC flushing is only necessary if there's air in the DSC module or one has made changes to the brake system. So two questions:

1. Does it really help to flush DSC as well during a normal bleed? I guess it's a good way to make sure all the fluid is replaced, but on the other hand I doubt most non-official workshops do it...

2. If I go through this process shall I fully bleed all calipers first and only then follow the process (again) per valve or can I do one caliper and when done execute the process for that axle from ISTA/D?

Thanks

Last edited by Breach; 10-01-2016 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0