2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Change tyres at 1.6mm

10-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Change tyres at 1.6mm

Michelin have recently announced that there is no point in changing modern tyres before 1.6mm. I have always used 3mm as the limit because I have found plenty of (albeit 7-8 years old now) evidence that wet performance drops off significantly at 3mm.

As an example, this video

shows that, from 70 in the wet, when the 3mm car has stopped the 1.6mm car is still doing 50. The difference between saying "Christ, that was close!" and hitting a truck at 50 is enough to convince me.

Does anyone have any more modern data to back up what Michelin are saying?

They are factoring in "environmental cost" of replacing still-legal tyres and whilst I am quite happy to consider the environment, I am not interested in trading it against my safety.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Michelin have recently announced that there is no point in changing modern tyres before 1.6mm. I have always used 3mm as the limit because I have found plenty of (albeit 7-8 years old now) evidence that wet performance drops off significantly at 3mm.

Does anyone have any more modern data to back up what Michelin are saying?

They are factoring in "environmental cost" of replacing still-legal tyres and whilst I am quite happy to consider the environment, I am not interested in trading it against my safety.
I believe we will need a lot of evidence to support a change back to minimum tread depth.

I know from my own use up here in the Highlands, wet braking is only one reason for good tread depth. Aquaplaning is also an issue with lots of surface water. Once a tyre tread is less than 4 - 5mm it is noticeable, let alone below 3mm.

My big question is; If there isn't a decent depth to the tread grooves, where is the water stored, water which can't be dispersed? Michelin's own technical data shows the importance of tread design in moving/storing water. Logically with little tread depth, the capacity is dramatically reduced, particularly with the wider tyre sections we typically run.

Another problem with tyres worn down to the minimum, we often have lost most of the shoulder tread, so other aspects of the tyre footprint are compromised. Steering is often less precise, directional stability is also reduced.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50