2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Successful CIC and Internet retrofit

04-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
ulo_in_sweden
Rep
Drives: 525d 2011

Successful CIC and Internet retrofit

Hi.
I would like to share my experience from my recent CIC retrofit in my F10-525D, 2011. Now I have full Navi Professional with the 2012 map database.

I purchased the retrofit kit from Patryk at BimmerTech (www.bimmer-tech.net). The packaged arrived as promised and the installation of the new CIC module and 10,4 inch display was pretty straight forward. No wire cutting was needed. Only remove the old unit and connect all cables/connectors to the new one. The scary part was the removing of the shark fin cover on the roof, to be able to replace the GPS antenna. The cover is glued to the roof and not very easy to remove. A very sharp and thin/flexible knife did the job. But be careful not to scratch the painting on your nice BMW roof.

The installation of the new USB connector in the glove compartment was a challenge too. The cable connecting the USB port to the CIC unit seems to be a bit short. If it was 5 cm longer all would have been allot easier.

After the installation of the new hardware, the next step was the remote coding of the car. Hooking up the car to a PC and my local tcp/ip network at home felt pretty weird. A BMW is actually a computer on 4 wheels that communicates with your other computers at home! Patryk and his associate did the coding in several steps. After a few hours all was finished and working perfectly. Even the driving instructions on the instrument cluster came alive.

The Navi has a beautiful integration with the Google search found in BMW Online. It is easy to serarch for places or whatever you are looking for. From the serarch result you just select the address and the address is passed on to the navigation system. It couldn’t be easier.

The only thing that doesn’t impress me is the Internet function. The internet is awfully slow using the Internet tethering on my Iphone4 (using 3G). It is close to useless. Loading or refreshing an Internet page takes 30-45 seconds each time. No one wants to wait that long.

Regards.
ULO
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Congratulations on the install. Rather you than me removing the Shark fin cover!! That must have been some job. Must agree with you on the Internet. Though if you think yours is slow - if you have BMW assist then the internet only gets its data via the built in data (not tethered) and this data is only 2G with no option to tether it to your 3G device. As you can only use it while stationary, you have to stop to look something up and it takes forever especially when you are waiting to get going again.!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

With coding you can turn off all of the speed locks. Worked perfectly on my car.

I will be in London later this year, I'll bring my cable
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
With coding you can turn off all of the speed locks. Worked perfectly on my car.

I will be in London later this year, I'll bring my cable
That would be nice Thanks - It's not the cable I need though it's the software
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
That would be nice Thanks - It's not the cable I need though it's the software

Those links are on this forum. Check out the engine subforum.
Appreciate 0