2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Opinions 2011 535i 6MT

06-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
goover
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i Mineral Gray Met

Opinions 2011 535i 6MT

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and thinking of joining the club.

Any opinions on this vehicle?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...26929608&Log=0

From what I researched here, it seems a bit overpriced. 40k miles, original sticker $64k includes sport package.

I want a 6MT for sure.

How much would you offer for this car?

How much tougher is it to resell a 6MT.

The last BMW I owned was a 1988 635CSi Auto. Loved that car, but didn't love all the nickel and dime maintenance.

Thank you in advance for replies!

Last edited by goover; 06-25-2016 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Looks nice.

There are so few of these that price shopping is a little silly.

If he wants to sell it more than you want it, wait him out and it may get cheaper. Otoh, if you're worried about finding another 6MT and you realize somebody will wire funds from California and fly to NC to buy a 6MT sight unseen, you'll bucks up.

I've been in your shoes. Bought a 6MT 535 15 months ago and moved to a 6MT 550 a few months back. My 535 sold with a single phone call to my brother. He really wanted it but I have no idea when I would have found a second buyer.

Oh, Manuals we're available through 2013. Early 2011's had some teething issues and perhaps a bit less tech than later 2011's.

At this point, I'd take a cherry 2011 over a beat up '12 or '13 though.

These are complicated, sophisticated cars. Not much on them can be fixed with a nickel,or a dime! However, the straight 6, MT, rwd combo eliminates numerous problem spots.

No harm in trolling for awhile if you are willing to travel... A 700 mile drive home is a great way to bond with your new car.

Oh, just me... but I wouldn't own an F10 automatic... it sensational with a stick!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goover View Post
How much tougher is it to resell a 6MT.

The last BMW I owned was a 1988 635CSi Auto. Loved that car, but didn't love all the nickel and dime maintenance.

Thank you in advance for replies!
Resale is "hit and miss" either you'll have someone who wants exactly that and buy it immediately, or it's as one local dealer told me "now yours forever", which personally I'm fine with.

As for not loving "nickel and dime" maintenance, keep in mind there is nothing about ownership of these that's cheap. You're buying luxury vehicle, you'll be paying for it, don't doubt that for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Looks nice.

There are so few of these that price shopping is a little silly.
It can go either way, mine was in the area where nobody wanted manual (and it was EXACTLY what I was after), so I got an amazing deal on a CPO with DHP with 20K miles on it. The other two I have seen in 300 miles radius (no DHP) sold the same day they were posted.

Quote:
No harm in trolling for awhile if you are willing to travel... A 700 mile drive home is a great way to bond with your new car.
+1.
Mine was only 350 miles though, but I got off the highway 1/2 way through and took the long way home on a roads that are way more fun

Quote:
Oh, just me... but I wouldn't own an F10 automatic... it sensational with a stick!
+1 again.
It's very good with automatic and xDrive, totally different car with manual and RWD - if that's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
goover
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i Mineral Gray Met

Thanks so much for your reply.

The thing that is making me think twice about the 11's is the steering. Numb and unresponsive seems to be the consensus.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The thing that is making me think twice about the 11's is the steering. Numb and unresponsive seems to be the consensus.
I don't know about "numb and unresponsive", I don't agree with that

It's "light" for sure, but not "unresponsive". A lot lighter than older BMW models with hydraulic steering. This though is the case with every new BMW (and especially Audi) out there. Apparently addressed with software in the last year or so with 3 series, but loaners I had, I couldn't tell to be honest.

Also, 5 series xDrive (no manual though) I think has hydraulic steering, could just be me, but not sure I could tell the difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Mtnguy321
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Thanks so much for your reply.

Nope, not on my 550 Xdrive. Tight and responsive.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

For whatever it's worth, take a look.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Seems a little high for not having m sport packaging
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Mtnguy321
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
For whatever it's worth, take a look.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature
Thanks, good article
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I read that article and I understand where they were coming from. I own a 2013 msport I bought with 28k miles, CPO, tech, countour, Premium and HK and paid 38k. Has 38 mos of warranty. Steering is not like my 07' sport 328 was, but this is a larger more comfortable car. BTW, when you start moving this car its very tight and handles great. THe 6mt married to this engine is wonderful.
As your finding out, these cars are not easy to fine as you may want it, and when you do find what you there can be a premium to be paid. I paid it, so that's my position.
Important you drive a few examples and not what some writer offered as his opinion.
Can you have it all? Not really, where else can you get a full sized sedan with a reliable inline 6 smooth power and have a 6mt? 40k miles and only 28k? Only issue is its a 2011 but then, if it was a 2013, you cool to pay 34k for it? If so, then keep looking!
      06-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Let's see:
It's a 6 spd manual and loaded for the year, what's not to like? It's also pretty low miles.
As for maintenance, yes, it can be expensive if you take it to the dealer. I do all the work on my cars, so my 5 series (I am on my 3rd) have not cost me more than a Toyota Camry to maintain. If you ever get stuck, YouTube is your friend. It's not rocket surgery, it's a car. Personally I feel everyone should know basic car maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
...It's a 6 spd manual and loaded for the year, what's not to like? It's also pretty low miles.
As for maintenance, yes, it can be expensive if you take it to the dealer. I do all the work on my cars, so my 5 series (I am on my 3rd) have not cost me more than a Toyota Camry to maintain. If you ever get stuck, YouTube is your friend. It's not rocket surgery, it's a car. Personally I feel everyone should know basic car maintenance.
I find regular maintenance is pricey, but not really all that bad.
It's out of warranty repairs that can get expensive fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
....BTW, when you start moving this car its very tight and handles great. THe 6mt married to this engine is wonderful.
+1

I mentioned this several times to people complaining about handling of 5 series. It's a large cruiser with good handling for it's size, especially RWD with either 704 or DHP suspension, oh and non RF tires as well.

If you push and pick up some speed, the car only gets better.
It does it in such a composed manner, where you don't get the sensation of speed as much ... until you actually look at your speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I find regular maintenance is pricey, but not really all that bad.
It's out of warranty repairs that can get expensive fast.

+1

I mentioned this several times to people complaining about handling of 5 series. It's a large cruiser with good handling for it's size, especially RWD with either 704 or DHP suspension, oh and non RF tires as well.

If you push and pick up some speed, the car only gets better.
It does it in such a composed manner, where you don't get the sensation of speed as much ... until you actually look at your speed.
Its all where your coming from and cross shopping. Started my search looking at E350 coupes. Great looking car!!! Only automatics, but very attractive. Then found out they are reskinned C coupes and interior space is smaller than the C Class!!! I was looking at A7's, but felt the prices were a bit high. Also, we have a 2015 allroad. Stunning body design! Wanted something smaller, and fell for the C400 but at just one year old they are $40k but kind of liked the fact they look like c300's and was into the "sleeper". Decided I still wanted to drive a stick but felt the F30 interior was a bit "Thin". 4 coupe is great looking, but again the interior too lacks.

The F10 is a big girl but super comfortable and to me what a grand tourer should be.