2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Budget coilovers. Megan vs BC. Which would you buy?

06-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Budget coilovers. Megan vs BC. Which would you buy?

Summer is here and Im looking for a budget coilover setup and would like to hear members experience about these to makers if you ever had them installed. I hear and read posting that a few people run these 2 brands on their 3 series and had good experiences with them with no issues even after tracking. But I don't hear much about them much on f10 or 5-series. So if anyone that has them or had experience with them please chime in. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

They are literally both the same, They come from the same factory. Different colors and labels, megan is like 50$ cheaper. I have the Megan ones I've had them on for about a year and they have been great.
2016 550i
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, thanks for clarifying that they are the same just different colors. How's the ride feel, any choppy feeling over bumps, clunking or grinding noise when turning or driving, and how low did you go? I see in some photos that it comes with camber plates, are those decent or should I look for another set to camber plates. Got any photo of how your car looks with Megan coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I was in the same boat as you scouring the forums in which coilover to get! Like 550Reasons mentioned they're both made from the same factory. From those members who have bought either one had nothing to say but how great they are. Handling was good and install was straight forward! There is another company who makes budget coilovers and that's ST. they are sister company of KW Suspension. They look exactly alike except they are not corrosion resisistant but haven't found anyone who has bought them or made a post about them. I scored a deal on some KWv1's for $600 but if I had to choose I'd go with BC's.

here's the ST's:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/ST-Suspensions...836?nav=SEARCH

I believe Aiden Detailing was selling his BC's awhile ago...shoot him a PM
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

BC's and Megans are both made by BC. There's a review online comparing the two and long story short, BC's are made a little better.....welds, better adjustments, etc.

http://blog.modernperformance.com/di...egan-coilovers
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Yeah, I would do 1 of 2 options:
1) CKS coilovers with swift springs
Or
2) find a REALLY low mileage set of KWs, just personal taste but I am extremely leery of buying used suspension or brake components.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

I had ST coilovers on my previous E46; not my cup of tea. I like how BC and Megan are height adjustable but still retains its full suspension travel and adjustable compression and rebound which ST don't have. My wife refuse to get in my E46 because she said the ride is to hard/firm that she get a headaches or car sickness. I don't want to do that to this car so ST are out of the list.

CKS prices is a little up there too, close to KWs. I'm the same way too about used suspension components. Suspensions are one of the parts in my book that I usually buy new.

Any info on ride quality since suspension travel hasn't change?

Or photos, I would love to see some photo of how low some of you guys are with coilover.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

OP r u XI? If u r than CKS and KWv3's r your only choices. If your just RWD than I would opt and spend a lil more for the KW's for like $1400
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

I wouldn't be too concerned with the different technology selling points. They're all good products designed to maintain a firmer but still luxury quality to the F10 ride. Adjustable damping is also a bit overhyped relative to most people's needs. Your situation may be different, but most guys I've talked to find the factory settings to be the best and never touch them after installation. Also, consider how long you plan to keep the car, how many miles you drive, and in what weather conditions in your "budget" equation from a warranty standpoint. KW's as an example have a lifetime warranty vs. one year for some of the others, and have superior corrosion resistance but of course they're more expensive to purchase.