2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Inexpensive Quad Exhaust Project

06-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #67
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
It didn't cost 2k and sounds mean with the caps off
Nice! so with the caps off you're still getting tone through the mufflers right?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #68
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
It didn't cost 2k and sounds mean with the caps off
Nice! so with the caps off you're still getting tone through the mufflers right?
Its a mix and I have a burble tune so with the caps off it growls
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #69
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

I have an appointment this Wednesday to install some j-pipe (1/4 wave resonator) and from my research I will go with 36" long for my 535i and maybe ask for it to be ajustable in length to be able to tune it. Hopefully I will no longer have drone at highway speed
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #70
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE:

I installed J-PIPE of around 36"-37" long and it reduced the 1800 RPM drone frequency by 15 db! (recorded before and after with RTA analyzer for IPhone) It also reduced considerably the drone of any RPM between 1200 to 2200 which make the slow acceleration in comfort mode a lot quieter and without making everything shake in that car anymore.

I am very happy with the result! Drone is very minimal now and I can listen to low volume music again!

BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.

Last edited by Jayphil; 06-28-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #71
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
UPDATE:

I installed J-PIPE of around 36"-37" long and it reduced the 1800 RPM drone frequency by 15 db! (recorded before and after with RTA analyzer for IPhone) It also reduced considerably the drone of any RPM between 1200 to 2200 which make the slow acceleration in comfort mode a lot quieter and without making everything shake in that car anymore.

I am very happy with the result! Drone is very minimal now and I can listen to low volume music again!

You got the best of both worlds. Congrats
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #72
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i'm trying to understand this mod. i know Bmw double you have something similar? so basically you tapped off your pipe close to the middle with smaller piping and than closed the end? with Bmw doubles he has a removeable cap which makes sense but here it looks capped off? i only asked because once i slap those Meisterschaft's on i know it's going to be loud even tho it has EVC
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:57 AM   #73
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i'm trying to understand this mod. i know Bmw double you have something similar? so basically you tapped off your pipe close to the middle with smaller piping and than closed the end? with Bmw doubles he has a removeable cap which makes sense but here it looks capped off? i only asked because once i slap those Meisterschaft's on i know it's going to be loud even tho it has EVC
This is to cancel a specific frequency (drone frequency) and not tone down the entire exhaust sound. It is working like noise cancelling ear plugs but only effective for a short range of frequencies.

For example all frequencies from 40hz to 600hz where from 55 to 80 dB at 1800RPM except 100hz was 95db. So I calculated the length of the pipe to cancel 100hz sound and now the 100hz frequency has the around the same dB has the others.

Clearer now?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #74
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is to cancel a specific frequency (drone frequency) and not tone down the entire exhaust sound. It is working like noise cancelling ear plugs but only effective for a short range of frequencies.

For example all frequencies from 40hz to 600hz where from 55 to 80 dB at 1800RPM except 100hz was 95db. So I calculated the length of the pipe to cancel 100hz sound and now the 100hz frequency has the around the same dB has the others.

Clearer now?
Yes! Lol. So what happens to the flow of the exhaust when it goes to those j-pipes does it fill up with combustion and sit there since there's no egress until the car is turned off or does it leak thru when the car is idling?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #75
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Clearer now?
Yes! Lol. So what happens to the flow of the exhaust when it goes to those j-pipes does it fill up with combustion and sit there since there's no egress until the car is turned off or does it leak thru when the car is idling?
These pipes do not get exhaust flow but they are for sure filled with mixture of air / exhaust gas. The purpose is that only sound should travel in these. One consideration thought you need to make sure to angle them so that condensed water flow back to the exhaust where the flow is to evacuate it other wise they could get filled with water...

I am talking like I really know all that stuff but I actually read all that on the internet... I am not a sound engineer...
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #76
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No leaks, there's a gasket between the cap and pipe when reassembled. Simple wing nut removal. Also found out the DP is only 3" to the collector then split. Was thinking go single 3" from the DP straight back with smooth bends then Y split to 3.5 at the very end.

Included a picture of lamb gyros for good measure
hey bro! so now that my exhaust is done i was thinking of what you said here. 3" from the DP back with smooth bends. my muffler shop said something similar where he would just run straight pipes from the DP eliminating the OEM x pipe or resonators and back to the Meister's. eliminating those resonators a good idea or am i going to have the drone issue like you did before the your jpipe mod or is that because you left the OEM resonators on? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth replacing the pipes or not?

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-29-2017 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #77
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No leaks, there's a gasket between the cap and pipe when reassembled. Simple wing nut removal. Also found out the DP is only 3" to the collector then split. Was thinking go single 3" from the DP straight back with smooth bends then Y split to 3.5 at the very end.

Included a picture of lamb gyros for good measure
hey bro! so now that my exhaust is done i was thinking of what you said here. 3" from the DP back with smooth bends. my muffler shop said something similar where he would just run straight pipes from the DP eliminating the OEM x pipe or resonators and back to the Meister's. eliminating those resonators a good idea or am i going to have the drone issue like you did before the your jpipe mod or is that because you left the OEM resonators on? i'm trying to figure out if it's worth replacing the pipes or not?
I have my resonator and I had drone until the j pipes. If I deleted the resonator now I don't feel there would be much of a change. I have taken that step, but I would say if you don't have that exhaust resonator / j pipe and you remove the OEM resonator your droning would increase. By how much is unknown for me. Just take it step by step. Remove the resonator. If that's not to your liking add j pipes

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #78
~evil_evooooo~
Rep
Drives: F10 14 535i

Quote:
For sure I will keep the resonators to avoid as much drone as possible.

I have completed painting the rear diffuser with ProtectDip_2.0 and it came out great. The finish and color is very close to the M5 diffuser middle insert which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

This is the look I have in mind minus the two section middle insert. Note that this one is carbon fiber but look satin / matte black from the picture and this is really what I want.

Now I need to find a shop that will remove the rusty hitch that came with the car, remove the bumper cover, install the M5 diffuser adaptor, m5 diffuser and put the Megan Exhaust in place.

I might wait during the first week of August since I will be in vacation and be able to stay at the shop during the work...

1st off, beautiful car. As a new member (2015 535i m) all this is new. My question is what is that "extra" flap of the diffuser, looks great. and if i wanted to add any aftermarket carbon diffuser i would need the M5 adapter?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #79
BlueBimmer69
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi M SPORT

Today Ive tried to place an M5 Diffuser on my 2013 535xi M sport, and when me and my friend tried putting on the diffuser it would not go in because this "bar was in the way" ? What is the fix for this. I have the comfort access and will not care if this feature were to go away. Do i need m5 parts? Where can I go to get this installed if this is the case? Somebody help me out..
Appreciate 0