2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63/N63TU Intakes

11-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

N63/N63TU Intakes

So I've searched and searched and have yet to find an option for the 550 engines. Looking at the history of some of these threads, are we just resigned to N63intakes.com and Dinan? Is that it?

Looking at the factory ducting from the grills back to the airboxes, this doesn't seem to be too difficult considering most of us just want to hear our BOV and turbos anyway and aren't really after the performance gains.

I have a guy here locally in MD who wants to use my car (N63) as a test and tune for intakes but we haven't had a chance to link up yet, just a bunch of email correspondence.

I'll keep you guys posted on my build but I'm really confused that this is so hard. Are the temp specs and air flow tolerances so tight that any changes throws the codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

if you get your guy to build you a custom intake you should post on the forums, there maybe a few folks interested, for example i'd be interested depending on price etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

I'm working with RK Autowerks to develop a CF intake. Should have a prototype ready soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
I'm working with RK Autowerks to develop a CF intake. Should have a prototype ready soon.
I saw the RK thread...do you have a price point?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljust View Post
I saw the RK thread...do you have a price point?
Should be under $1500 I believe, not entirely sure. I'll keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Raza is a smart guy! good luck with that!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should be under $1500 I believe, not entirely sure. I'll keep you posted
If the N63intake.com is $1500 why develop another system at the same price point? I'm not throwing Shade, just asking. I'm in for the development on my car because I want to know what it costs to fabricate and see if we can come up with a less expensive solution.

Mine shouldn't take long once we meet. He already made the MAF flanges and they're ready for a test fit. I want to go the cheapest route possible for you guys but still have a quality product. Carbon ducting is likely but I will be discussing the pros and cons of the materials he's planning on using especially since the OEM duct work is plastic.

I disconnected the middle section of the plastic ducting yesterday and gave it a few revs, the BOV and turbo spooling can be heard very clear withoutMine shouldn't take long once we meet. He already made the MAF flanges and they're ready for a test fit. I want to go the cheapest route possible for you guys but still have a quality product. Carbon ducting is likely but I will be discussing the pros and cons of the materials he's planning on using especially since the OEM duct work is plastic.

I disconnected the middle section of the plastic ducting yesterday and gave it a few revs, the BOV and turbo spooling can be heard very clear without all the plastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the N63intake.com is $1500 why develop another system at the same price point? I'm not throwing Shade, just asking. I'm in for the development on my car because I want to know what it costs to fabricate and see if we can come up with a less expensive solution.

Mine shouldn't take long once we meet. He already made the MAF flanges and they're ready for a test fit. I want to go the cheapest route possible for you guys but still have a quality product. Carbon ducting is likely but I will be discussing the pros and cons of the materials he's planning on using especially since the OEM duct work is plastic.

I disconnected the middle section of the plastic ducting yesterday and gave it a few revs, the BOV and turbo spooling can be heard very clear withoutMine shouldn't take long once we meet. He already made the MAF flanges and they're ready for a test fit. I want to go the cheapest route possible for you guys but still have a quality product. Carbon ducting is likely but I will be discussing the pros and cons of the materials he's planning on using especially since the OEM duct work is plastic.

I disconnected the middle section of the plastic ducting yesterday and gave it a few revs, the BOV and turbo spooling can be heard very clear without all the plastic.
I never said that was a final price, and it just adds to competition in the industry, that's never a bad thing. RK Autowerks has produced M5/6 intakes with gains up to +38whp (proven) as just a standalone mod, and that's impressive.

Not hating on anyone, I always appreciate new developments in whatever field. However, RK offered me an opportunity, I grabbed on it. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I feel you @TheBlackGT more competition in the market is better for us as consumers. This platform has been around for too long to only have a 2 options. RK definitely seems like a quality fabricator and 38hp is worth it IMO.

This is my 4th BMW and I've always loved the older E series cars because they were so easy to work on. I love my F10 550i, best one yet all around but damn is she bitchy!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
N63intake is $1200 not $1500.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
N63intake is $1200 not $1500.
what's $300 between BMW owners...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #12
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what's $300 between BMW owners...
pretty sure it costs more if you want to do a CF setup with them though. Not sure. All i know is these RK intakes are going to be sick, they should be ready soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #13
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the RK intakes in the M3/4 definitely look dope!