2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2012 550i Update: Dinan Stage 5 is on!

07-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
2012 550i Update: Dinan Stage 5 is on!

Okay gents finally got the car (2012 BMW 550i) back this Friday after a week with the dealer [was TDY for a minute] and finished the next upgrades on the list. So what did I do?

1) Dinan Stage 5 Performance Software
2) Dinan Carbon Fiber Intakes and Strut Bar System
3) M5 Front Sway Bar

Car already had Dinan Intercoolers, Dinan Shockware Suspension Software, H&R Sport Springs, Eissenman Race Quad exhaust, and Dinan Stage 4 Performance Software. So the car already was pretty nice performance wise. Initially looked for an M5 last fall but dealership had sold their allocation for the remainder of the year and offered me 2012 BNW 550i on the lot with a huge discount (making room for 2013;s I guess) so I got the car for around $60k plus BMW CCA discount and rebates. So the Dinan upgrades have been good in that I save about $40k allowing upgrades as I wished. I must say it is nice to be able to build the car kinda around the way I want/drive. So Dinan upgrades and a few select other parts (Eissenman) have been welcome.

So now to what you guys want to know..how does it drive. Most stupendously! I mean I barely have to crack the throttle it seems as the car has tons of power and torque. Power is creamy smooth and easily accessed at all speeds and levels. Triple digit speeds..be wary of them as the car easily attains them! Added with the other mods which I've already done..the car feels more complete all around and the M5 front bar and CF strut tower seem to improve turn in and cornering when pushed the car stays planted. Also yes with 540-560+hp and north of 600+ torque you can break the rears free when you desire.

How does it compare to the M5? Comparably in terms of what most of us will do 99% of the time in our daily driving. As currently set up the car can easily get you and your license into the same serious trouble pretty easily. Having driven both [my dealer had an M5 which I drove to compare - yes I thought of upgrading] the M5 is the complete package for those who want to take their cars to the track and also want its high rev nature on the day to day as well as value the strengthened suspension and improved handling. Where does the Dinan 550i fit into this? Slotted slightly below the M5 I'd think for most of my daily purposes...performance is there and similar and since most of my daily driving doesn't require track work or his speed S'es then it fits in just fine! Comfortable and easy to drive around town in traffic and a demon when you want it be with tons of power and performance to release on tap. Kinda like the best of both words as a price that isn't too bad either.

Could I have an M5 in its place...easily...would I want one? Not to sure now in that I do like the sort of invisibility that the 550i Dinan allows...definately the ultimate sleeper for those who prefer to go maybe a different route and maybe drive a slightly different road!
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Dhu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Couldn't agree with you more. The stage 5 puts all the previous stages together. At each stage (went through 2, springs/shockware/, 3, 5), I felt like I had a different car at each stage. Ultimately, the last upgrade pulled all the previous upgrades together. It now feels complete and the power/torque feels natural. I was telling my shop guys that in retrospect, that stage 3 felt like you always had power on reserve vs now the power is existent at all rpm levels. Again, it feels like that is the way the car was meant to be rather than a "tuned" car. I haven't driven the M5, but am assuming this might come close. It feels almost as good as my old m3. I very much like the sleeper nature of the car. The only visible modification is the dinan exhaust but outside of that, it is just nice looking luxury sedan that that is a complete beast when I want it to be. Definitely not for the faint hearted when it comes to the checkbook, but ultimately cheapest way to mimic m5 for daily driving.

Good luck for those who are considering, it is a steep tax for that last cherry on top, but I must say, it does make complete the package.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I have been considering a 550. Currently own an e90 M3 and a Audi TTRS. I am really growing tired of the Audi as this was my daily driver. Saw our northeast Dinan reps 550 this week GETTIG the first Dinan BBK on the front. Those carbon fiber intakes/strut bars are beautiful. True craftsmanship in all Dinan products. The rep has an xdrive so not nearly the aggressive stance with wheels as yours but still a sleeper and beautiful car. I think I am going to trade in for a 550 and go the Dinan route as I did with my M. Minus the ESS Supercharger on the car. My concern is the transmission. Is it entertaining to drive and engaging with all the power?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
I have been considering a 550. Currently own an e90 M3 and a Audi TTRS. I am really growing tired of the Audi as this was my daily driver. Saw our northeast Dinan reps 550 this week GETTIG the first Dinan BBK on the front. Those carbon fiber intakes/strut bars are beautiful. True craftsmanship in all Dinan products. The rep has an xdrive so not nearly the aggressive stance with wheels as yours but still a sleeper and beautiful car. I think I am going to trade in for a 550 and go the Dinan route as I did with my M. Minus the ESS Supercharger on the car. My concern is the transmission. Is it entertaining to drive and engaging with all the power?
As you can see my previous BMW was an '08 e92 M3 coupe which I traded for an '12 A7 and still to this day wished I had not [or at least waited for an S7 or RS7 LOL]. Audi makes a dayum good car and the electronics and interior are 2nd to none..but I did tire of the google maps screen and the internet capability [tech gear] in the car cause I was DRIVING it and it is not the driving car that the BMW's were. I always felt as though I were missing something...so I traded it back for the 550i I currently have. Was leaning towards an M5 but like I said price, availability and other factors made the 550i the better deal considering. So far very pleased with it as I've found that 1) there are tons of more mods and tuners available for BMW's vs Audi [it was like silence on A7 forums when I asked about upgrades and all I could find was Stasis and ABt both of whom were soo late on their upgrades that when I sold the car back to the dealer all I had done was an exhaust upgrade in 18mos of owning the car! Nothing else was available and yes it still needed some personalization as I call it!] So I understand where you are coming from.

As for...back to the 550i? Dinan and a ton of other manufacturers make bits and pieces for you to try out or combine o the car. Don't think you're forced to go with just Dinan...I have since right now they make the best quality tuning parts for the 550i and also the warranty is un-paralleled vs anyone else. 4yrs/50k is comforting when you have 8k on your odometer and are significantly boosting your engine performance with Stage 3,4, or 5 IMHO. But for exhausts, Supersprint, Essenmann, Borla, and GTC Meistershaft all make outstanding products. I went with Essienman Race because it was a nice upgrade from OEM from an asthetics standpoint and also has a very nice sound without much drone at all [also had one on my previous X6 and M3 and loved them both]. Meistershaft probably is the best out there but just too loud for me as it sounds like an eruption everytime you open the valves and I just didn't need that much additional attention at this point in my life...nor would my wife or neighbors appreciated it! LOL Springs, wheels, BBK's all that is out there..you just need to look for it. As for transmission you can go for the 6 spd manual which probably will be more engaging or like I have the AT...however mine is the 7sp Auto and I also had the Sport Transmission option checked on my car so it does pretty good with the additional power w/out problem and since I drive in Sport mode 90% of the time...the car keeps up pretty good with my wishes...rarely use paddles and manually shift but it is there if I want to. Its not DCT by any means and don't even attempt to compare it to DCT but then that's to be expected. Its not an M5 [of course] but as we say at work sometimes..."its close enough for govt work!" and about as good as I'd like without the six figure price tag and additional insurance charge(s). Definitely a sleeper 5 series!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
tp550i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Sport

Congrats on the Stage 5.
Its hard to put into words what a difference S5 makes with the 550. Total blast to drive
      07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I agree with all statements OP. I have been looking at the S6 S7 and RS7 that would be coming out. Honestly though like you said modding is so late to the game in te VAG community at times. Not those cars as the big tuners APR and AWE are already working on them. However, for me and years of owning RS and S models from Audi, their service is always a problem for me and the S6 and S6 just don't look like anything special on the outside. The 550 with Msport looks way better all day long. And don't even get me started with how beautiful that GC is. However out of price point if I want the v8.

The 550 seems to be a great alternative. I have had 6spd my whole life and will be keeping the M so I will still have my gears to throw. The 550 seems like a great option. Yes there are alot of parts of there. As I experienced with my M3 when I first started modding it, I quickly learned that the price is more than just a warranty. It's impeccable quality. The exhaust parts and so forth can always be swapped like yu said. It's Theron components for the engine that would be Dinan for me.

Great feedback and thanks. Now if I could find a 550 with that brown interior I would be all set!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
I agree with all statements OP. I have been looking at the S6 S7 and RS7 that would be coming out. Honestly though like you said modding is so late to the game in te VAG community at times. Not those cars as the big tuners APR and AWE are already working on them. However, for me and years of owning RS and S models from Audi, their service is always a problem for me and the S6 and S6 just don't look like anything special on the outside. The 550 with Msport looks way better all day long. And don't even get me started with how beautiful that GC is. However out of price point if I want the v8.

The 550 seems to be a great alternative. I have had 6spd my whole life and will be keeping the M so I will still have my gears to throw. The 550 seems like a great option. Yes there are alot of parts of there. As I experienced with my M3 when I first started modding it, I quickly learned that the price is more than just a warranty. It's impeccable quality. The exhaust parts and so forth can always be swapped like yu said. It's Theron components for the engine that would be Dinan for me.

Great feedback and thanks. Now if I could find a 550 with that brown interior I would be all set!
Look an you will find that 550 out there for you. They are there just need to see the one with your name on it. But yes I've found that building my own 550i to my individual tastes and driving habits is SO much easier with the BMW than my A7. Like I said I had an A7 for 18+ months...had the 2nd one sold in San Antonio and it is a great car asthetically to look at. You don't see that many of them either so exclusivity is a plus and I did drive one from Tx to WA state through the mountains around Vail and Telluride and Salt Lake City and Provost Utah in some of the worse rain and at night I've seen in a while and the A7 held to the road like glue...but I NEVER felt like I could let the inner hooligan out in the Audi. Maybe it was the AWD; maybe the front engine bias of the Audi but it never drove the way my M3's or X6 or even my Z4M could do! Those cars on a good road just sung to you man...talked to you while the Audi was more clinical and technical...I found myself comfortable and linked in electronically but not linked in as much as I wanted driver wise.

Now I will say that was with the A7 and not an S7 or RS7 which may be different beasts but the price point of those cars escalates into M territory I think and for the price of an RS7 I think I could have a very nice M6 Grand Coupe so I think the 550i so modified is an excellent alternative. One that allows me to save for that 2014 or 2015 Porsche Boxster with my name on it!
Appreciate 0