2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Thoughts on our new 2014 550i

06-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Thoughts on our new 2014 550i

Finally have put enough miles on the new Bimmer with variable driving conditions, including a couple of 6 hour trips, to comment.

Perhaps the most critical thought for all of us is what we want from the car - are our expectations in line with the design / physics of the 550i.

For me - this is an executive sedan - handling high speed, variable road terrain, often with traffic bouncing around you, is key. Reasonable steering and suspension precision, road feedback, power, refinement, technology and appointments were my interests. The ability to move rapidly from 40 mph to 85 mph (or whatever) is very important. You can do what you want to do with less chance of creating a road rage incident due to forcing a move too close. Excellent road feel but with an emphasis on arriving relaxed. I've owned a 3 series with ZHP suspension as well as an M5 (not to forget several 3 series, 5 series and two 7 series). They were exhilarating to drive but I rarely pushed them to their handling limits that often and a 5 hour run with the ZHP suspension had you a bit tired on arrival. There is zero interest in drifting, zero to 60 tire smoking runs, blasting out of or diving into highway ramps. However, I do enjoy some short duration, aggressive runs in the canyons or along PCH near Big Sur - so it is not just about interstate runs.

So, how does our new Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown, 550i base model with Executive Package, adaptive full LED headlamps, sunshades, ACC Stop and Go + Active Driving Assistant fare?

Overall - a big smile from ear to ear

The power is breathtaking and I've not really pushed it yet due to break in miles.

The steering is different but very good - I suspect it will be better when I replace the run flats with some appropriate tires. Comfort and sport settings get the job done wonderfully in the real world driving conditions on the 405 and I5 runs as well as the Sport+ in the canyons.

Fit and finish are outstanding, as are the LED headlamps. I'll probably code them to the European function. The ACC Stop and Go / Lane Departure are outstanding, as is the HUD. My initial thoughts on those options were so - so. Now they are must haves, as are the soft close doors / power tailgate. You really don't need them but you want them after experiencing them

Oh, and that "gimmicky" ceramic controls option (as part of the Executive Package) - really a nice touch of elegance.

The Harman Kardon upgrade is significantly better than the base audio package, plenty good for my expectations (I run a very high end CLASSE system in our house - so my expectations were up there).

Complaints - junk Goodyear LS2 run flats and clunky looking wheels - to be resolved shortly :-)

Peace....

Last edited by Apple Corps; 06-29-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
RED99HT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M850i

Congrats on your 550i. thx for the review. Ive had my '14 since Dec and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I drive a lot of miles and I dont get fatigued driving this beast. Power is way more than we need but it sure is fun. I just bought a set of 20" HRE FF01 wheels that are going on this week when my tires arrive. non-run flat.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Great write-up, thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you - the 550 is an "executive sedan" for me. My experiences with previous BMW passive sport suspension setups was similar - fun, great feel, but not what I always wanted, especially when on the road for several hours for business.

The 550, for me, is exactly as you've found it - a powerful sedan that can get you where you're going extremely quickly (when need be) and in supreme comfort. The tech gadgets are, as you said, not as much necessary as they are desired once experienced. But I'll take it even further and say - to experience all that this car has to offer is greater than the sum of the parts.

What do I mean by that? Well, on a stand-alone basis, each of the gadgets is nice. But when used in concert, the composition becomes more than the individual parts. Case in point - during a cold winter's night, I was driving a lengthy distance home after a long, stressful day. I engaged the following systems:

- heated steering wheel
- ACC to keep pace in the traffic
- heated seats
- active seats for a nice little bottom massage
- DHP suspension set to Comfort+ to take the road bumps away
- satellite radio on some soothing tunes

Individually, those systems are nice... but combine them in the right situation, and it turned a stressful, long day into a comfortable and relaxing drive home. The ability to really exploit these systems in combination, as I said, is where I think the "real" luxury for the F10 begins... and it's perhaps the best argument I have for fully loading the car if you can justify it.

The 550's real advantage is obviously it's strong engine. In 90% of the driving I rarely push it - a 535 would suffice. But in a few circumstances, especially if you're a road warrior type, traveling a good deal for business, that other 10% can be critical... as you said, the difference between effortlessly making a merge, putting the car where you need it without disrupting traffic, etc. And for nothing else, it makes for a really big smile when you just want to push it a bit.

Best of luck with your new 550! Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

RED99HT - those are nice looking wheels. What is your "spare tire" strategy?

I often travel some long stretches of road with almost no services. Even the run flat (50 miles / 50 MPH) is a stretch.

A "mobility kit" is too limited - it won't work on even small punctures of 1/4".

A space saver spare eats up trunk space and is still limited to 50 / 50.

A full size spare eats up even more trunk space but lets you go full distance at normal speeds.

We rarely have any passengers on the rear seats so we can treat the rear seats as a trunk so to speak.

BTW - lived in Charlotte (and then Rock Hill) many years ago. Lived near East Mecklenburg High School and worked near South Park Mall - small world.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

EZMAASS - "to experience all this car has to offer is greater than the sum of the parts" really says it well.

One can get so buried in the complaints about the 550i that it could make you lose interest in buying one. Vague steering, nose heavy pig, whatever - all I can say is OINK OINK - I'm getting to my destination and loving the drive
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
RED99HT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post

I often travel some long stretches of road with almost no services. Even the run flat (50 miles / 50 MPH) is a stretch.

A "mobility kit" is too limited - it won't work on even small punctures of 1/4".

A full size spare eats up even more trunk space but lets you go full distance at normal speeds.

We rarely have any passengers on the rear seats so we can treat the rear seats as a trunk so to speak.

BTW - lived in Charlotte (and then Rock Hill) many years ago. Lived near East Mecklenburg High School and worked near South Park Mall - small world.
Apple, small world, Im up in Mooresville at lake norman. Been here since 08 and moved in from NJ.

My spare strategy is going to order a space saver from Bimmerzone. The only solution and compromise I can think of. I had an 08 550 and ran that car 140k and never had a flat. I did have a slow leak due to a bent rim at one point. I really dont haul around much in the trunk but I see your point. Its a sacrifice.

I'll post a pic of the wheels when I get them on.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sadly, my flat tire experience is just the opposite

A 1/2" piece of tree branch knocked a large hole on the M5 tire at 2,000 miles or so. Just put new Pilots on the wife's GS 430 - big machine screw right through it at 500 miles - I could go on. I admit I am paranoid about flats now. Same bad experience on windshields.

I may go with a full size spare as the trunk space is not essential for us. Also, if I have to go to all the trouble of pulling the wheel off I may as well replace it with a full service wheel / tire. OTOH .....?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Great write-up, thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you - the 550 is an "executive sedan" for me. My experiences with previous BMW passive sport suspension setups was similar - fun, great feel, but not what I always wanted, especially when on the road for several hours for business.

The 550, for me, is exactly as you've found it - a powerful sedan that can get you where you're going extremely quickly (when need be) and in supreme comfort. The tech gadgets are, as you said, not as much necessary as they are desired once experienced. But I'll take it even further and say - to experience all that this car has to offer is greater than the sum of the parts.

What do I mean by that? Well, on a stand-alone basis, each of the gadgets is nice. But when used in concert, the composition becomes more than the individual parts. Case in point - during a cold winter's night, I was driving a lengthy distance home after a long, stressful day. I engaged the following systems:

- heated steering wheel
- ACC to keep pace in the traffic
- heated seats
- active seats for a nice little bottom massage
- DHP suspension set to Comfort+ to take the road bumps away
- satellite radio on some soothing tunes

Individually, those systems are nice... but combine them in the right situation, and it turned a stressful, long day into a comfortable and relaxing drive home. The ability to really exploit these systems in combination, as I said, is where I think the "real" luxury for the F10 begins... and it's perhaps the best argument I have for fully loading the car if you can justify it.

The 550's real advantage is obviously it's strong engine. In 90% of the driving I rarely push it - a 535 would suffice. But in a few circumstances, especially if you're a road warrior type, traveling a good deal for business, that other 10% can be critical... as you said, the difference between effortlessly making a merge, putting the car where you need it without disrupting traffic, etc. And for nothing else, it makes for a really big smile when you just want to push it a bit.

Best of luck with your new 550! Enjoy it!
My god ezmaas, you should be a salesperson at a dealership, you'd rake in the moolah.
Just kidding, your intelligence is probably best used elsewhere.

OP, congrats on your new car, I hope you will enjoy it this much for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
My god ezmaas, you should be a salesperson at a dealership, you'd rake in the moolah.
Just kidding, your intelligence is probably best used elsewhere.

OP, congrats on your new car, I hope you will enjoy it this much for a long time.
What do I need to do to get you into this F10 TODAY?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post

You get a lot of flats?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes - especially with new tires. Almost the same issue with rocks and windshields. I once had a new windshield installed in our 1987 325 and it got cracked by a rock on the way home - within 5 minutes of leaving the glass shop.

Stuff happens I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
digitalnoah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

I have always had an issue with the run flats on BMWs, and I've changed over my vehicles to non-run flat tires. In my current car I have a can of slime in the trunk and I always carry my AAA card. So far no problems with flats.

In my upcoming f10 I'm planning to replace the tires, but keep the stock wheels. Will probably mount one of the run flats on a cheap rim and keep it in the trunk as a full-size spare. Added weight and less trunk space is worth it to have peace of mind and greater independence in an emergency.
Appreciate 0