2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums ASIA Bad luck - hit by a 1998 Corolla

05-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
sith
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 520i 2012 Sophisto Grey

Angry Bad luck - hit by a 1998 Corolla

Bad luck!!!

Yesterday, an old corolla hit my back when I had stopped completely for more than 10 secs, waiting to get into a roundabout.

There are scratch marks and some minor cracks on the rear bumper. Wondering if I should bring it back to BMW or to find other auto services.

I don't think the old lady driver of the corolla would reimburse all my damages. Hence, bring back to BMW and claim the insurance might be the only way. I'm just afraid that I will lose the NCD for claiming insurance and the excess.

Chings, any suggestions and experience to share.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Did you call police to open file? Otherwise it might effect your insurance if you can't fault the person who hit you..
I got minor hit by a 男人婆 /lesbian who blamed me for it, called the cops, swore at me etc. and in the end I got 2.8k cash from her for a 1inch barely visable indentation on the shelf ledge (not noticeable from distance).. she spoke english at me, like expecting to '大'(big) me.. oh she learnt a lesson.. Even when you don't look for trouble, trouble will find you if it needs to. Damn man-hating 男人婆...
Handle it according to the law, and minimize your own hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
sith
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks, Grimlock,

I had called the police. U know, they had not started an investigation until I go to a police station to report it officially. But it takes me a half-day off.

Actually, I got a car cam recordings which can prove my car had come to a halt before the hit.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Even though you were not halt the one who hits you from behind is always at fault.

Hence I think she(he?) should pee in her pants
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

The police didn't open file when you called them to scene?
What happened for me was, I was coasting along, a car cut in front of me so i brake moderately, then feel the car hit me not too hard about 1 second later. It is a 35-40yr old no make up really nasty 男人婆 in a black prev gen e class.
So I am really "Sky, why you do this to me" /resignation, get out of car to inspect damage. Bitch reverses the car, then gets out, all attacking.
"How much compensation you want?" ..I look at the bumper, not 2 seconds "Call the cops!" I am like "fine with me" .. Then she repeats, "How much you want... 1/2 second pause.. Call the cops." Like stuck in some bad loop ..
I am rolling my eyes in disbelief at this point, you rear end someone, that person has not said a word, is not aggressive, and you come out with guns blazing.. this bitch is in for a bad time.
So I am inspecting the bumper to survey all the damage, she calls the cops, then get back in the car. Meanwhile cars left and right streaming by.
Single male cop is dropped.. bitch finally gets back out of car, since she is the one who called them, then repeats the same thing "How much you want.. Asshole!" In front of the cop. I look at the cop and say "Did you hear? .."
Then she randomly starts speaking in english .. so I am trying to control myself from verbally assaulting this crazy bitch, .. honestly, in retrospect there are so many better one-liners I should have used.
Finally when she has exhausted her theractrics, she lights up a cigarrete next to the cop, needless to say, she is down 0-10 in image points by now.
Cops says "Ok, if you cannot settle, we will open a formal case .." then start writing down details.
After a while I come up with 3k, which will cover a respray..
Her husband/brother comes after a while, doesn't help, says something stupid like "Do you have a familiar shop, we can go To Kwa Wan and ask the C-fu how much it will cost.." I say "I don't give a damn what your C-fu has to say, do you want to go to court or not? If not, pay up."
Anyways at the end of the day, a very schooled lesbian, who had the misfortune of choosing me to express her pent up rage from being molested as a child (or whatever).
Ofcourse, if I wanted to mouth off on her, I could have, but she would be so enrage/incapacitated she would not pay and I ofcourse wanted to settle everything there (but ofcourse I don't say).
Now I understand why people tint their windows, seriously rear-ending people is not purely by accident, you will find most of the time the person behind has issues that are trigger by merely the visual image of the person in front.

The cop didn't start file there? Maybe he was sympathetic to the old lady (bitch).. nobody is impartial.
Maybe is already enough evidence your issurance can fault the other.. but they will prob call you in to police station for statement. no win situation
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
sith
Hong Kong
Rep

Sorry to hear your case!
Well, the police (EU) did take down the particulars of the old lady and me and drew a brief sketch, and gave me a report no. But it doesn't mean they will start the investigation unless I report the case officially at a police station.
BTW, I will take my car to BMW for a quote after work.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Last time a guy hit me in the rear fender because his lane is merging into mine and I am square in my lane. I stopped and that guy said "WTF man, you know how to drive" So I told him I m in my lane, you are changing lane, you hit me and ask me if I know how to drive?

We were having a discussion and the guy is saying you want to move the car out of the way first, I was like yeah right So I ended the conversation by calling the police. Police came and looked and draw some sketching and asked us to move the car first, then the routine stuff took a statement and the police ask me to speak to that guy first about settlement.

The guy soften his tone and said hey I know a shop they can fix it for you. I politely decline his offer and he raise his voice again, saying is the same to do it outside or BMW paintshop. I said I don't care, no one ask you to hit me right?

So he is like ok then let's take it to the police station and see who's fault is it, I m like ok sure.

After I went through all the trouble of giving a more detail statement and everything the guy offer me 5,000 dollar for the respray of the bumper and bodywork on the rear fender.

So in the end I need to go to the police station and tell them the guy has settled, the police said really? I was about to send him to hell something along that line.

If you know you are not at fault, don't settle on the spot without calling the police and video can help with the investigation, but they cannot use it as evidence.

Even if you call police you can still negotiate the settlement before it is taken to the court. I don't think it will affect the NCB if you are not at fault, you can check that with the insurance company. What they do is they file a claim to the insurance company on the person who hit you, those things are covered the third party liability insurance.

Comprehensive just cover your own damage like if you hit a wall while parking, those may affect your NCB if the damage excessive i.e. you need over 10K to fix your damages. Other things like cracked windshield, my policy will not affect NCB if you promise to buy from them next year. So need to check with your insurance company first.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
sith
Hong Kong
Rep

AC S5,

Thanks for your information. I have no experience on this.
Yesterday, I brought my car to BMW for a quote. It costs $5,500 for repair with painting, and it may cost about $20,000 for replacing the entire bumper. And the repair may takes 5~6 days.
I had asked the lady driver to pay $5,500, and she is still considering. Let's see if I need to claim insurance.

Thanks again to everybody for your valuable advice and sharing of your experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sith View Post
Yesterday, I brought my car to BMW for a quote. It costs $5,500 for repair with painting, and it may cost about $20,000 for replacing the entire bumper.
Really? I replaced my rear bumper with a M Sport (on my F06) one due to some idiot rear-ending my car in Feb. Only costed me $15000 wor........ But I didn't do it at BMW......
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Msport bumper time.. too bad didnt happen in 6 months, new msport bumper?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
sith
Hong Kong
Rep

Dear mlai,

Did you order the m-sport bumper from BMWHK, and then ask other service provider to do the install?
Could u pls let me know where you replaced the bumper? As grimlock said, it may be the time to consider a m-sport bumper.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sith View Post
Dear mlai,

Did you order the m-sport bumper from BMWHK, and then ask other service provider to do the install?
Could u pls let me know where you replaced the bumper? As grimlock said, it may be the time to consider a m-sport bumper.

Thanks
Sent you PM.
Appreciate 0