2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum I knew this would happen

06-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #23
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

RFT's are really easy to find in the UK in my experience, however I do work in the second largest city so don't have much experience of sourcing in more rural areas
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #24
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
RFT's are really easy to find in the UK in my experience, however I do work in the second largest city so don't have much experience of sourcing in more rural areas
They are not hard to find, but with so many choices in size, the exact one is not always readily available "off the shelf". I'd rather have a spare so I can go about my plans or weekend temporarily while my tire is fixed. This is a huge pain! ANd don't even get me started on the shitty ride quality. In my opinion RFTs take away from the BMW ride quality
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Sorry you are going through all of this, but these type of stories is the exact reason why I sold my runflat tires and replaced with conventional tires and added a space saver tire and small jack to my trunk. If I get a puncture on the road, I handle it the old fashion way. Pull off the road to a safe area (parking lot, gas station, etc) and change the tire. If I am dressed in a suit or it is very cold out, I can opt to call AAA to perform the tire change. I just don't see the point of runflats. They are more trouble than they are worth.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Sorry you are going through all of this, but these type of stories is the exact reason why I sold my runflat tires and replaced with conventional tires and added a space saver tire and small jack to my trunk. If I get a puncture on the road, I handle it the old fashion way. Pull off the road to a safe area (parking lot, gas station, etc) and change the tire. If I am dressed in a suit or it is very cold out, I can opt to call AAA to perform the tire change. I just don't see the point of runflats. They are more trouble than they are worth.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #27
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
UPDATE:
Took it into the repair shop and there was large gash through the center of the tread and there was zero air pressure. So no repair. Of course no one has the same sized RFTs in stock so what to do? Luckily I have other cars at my disposal, but what is someone with one car to do? What if you were on your way to NYC on the highway?

For me, I came home and called around for new tires, and no one can have them in until Monday, so I ordered through Tirerack and will get 4 new ones delivered on Monday (I have 35k on the original so maybe its time). My experience with RFTs is that they suck. Once you get a flat you have to act now to get it fixed. No spare, may not be able to patch, and tires not readily available. So basically my car is stuck in the garage until install on Tuesday. If i had no other means of transport then this weekend would really suck! I liked the old way with the spare or a donut. At least one had a chance to complete their trip, or be able continue on a spare (unless you like getting ripped off...I certainly dont)
A "donut" is only good for 50ish miles........
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #28
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
They are not hard to find, but with so many choices in size, the exact one is not always readily available "off the shelf". I'd rather have a spare so I can go about my plans or weekend temporarily while my tire is fixed. This is a huge pain! ANd don't even get me started on the shitty ride quality. In my opinion RFTs take away from the BMW ride quality
Bro, if you live in DC, BMW of Fairfax seems to have tires for any stock BMW vehicles in stock all the time. The service centers will deliver to each other. You'll probably get it done same day. Last time I was there, I was in and out in less than 2 hours. And I have the sports package with 19s, which are a rare tire size and most don't stock.

The other service centers like BMW of Alexandria, Rockville or Passport doesn't seem to have parts readily available.

BTW, I would rather have RFTs than a spare in DC for 2 reasons.

1. Good luck putting on a spare with all the crazy drivers and narrow streets.
2. You hit one pot hole or drive over rough roads and the F10's weight will destroy the spare. That's kind of impossible to avoid around here. I don't know how many times I have to drive over pot holes because traffic is so damn tight and those narrow lanes feel like they were made for bicycles.

FYI, I have put on a spare before on my Infiniti and it popped pretty much immediately on the next pot hole. I went on for nearly 100 miles when I punctured my RFTs.

Last edited by 493263; 06-20-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
NikoNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535I xDrive 2015

with my e60 550i. I had runflats. I hit a nail and got it plugged for $10 at my local tire shop. From then on i put about 20,000 miles on it and no problem. I didnt have the BMW Rim and tire insurance tho. Not sure what they would say about something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

BigKutta aka Big dog?? You are on an enthusiast forum. Everyone will tell you about the good old fashion BMW recommendations... any tyre can be plugged/repaired as long as it hasn't been battered after it went flat. Do what is most appropriate to your needs in future. Peace
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz View Post
BigKutta aka Big dog??
I had the same thought...

Appreciate 0