2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums 5-Series GT (F07) Photo/Video/Media Forum 530d Neptune Blue

09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

530d Neptune Blue

Just delivered this morning - posted these pics straight away in the Owners Roll Call thread but thought they should go here too.

I know it's pretty 'vanilla' compared to some of the projects I see pics of on here but I love the look of the GT, even the basic unmodified version.

These are just taken on my iphone in the car park at work, will try to get some soon with the DSLR in decent light and more complementary setting.

Name:  Car 1a.jpg
Views: 5151
Size:  175.0 KB

Name:  Car 2a.jpg
Views: 4946
Size:  124.6 KB

Last edited by kn1; 09-02-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Sorry man but its ghastly!! It may be a good car but the hideous exterior ends it there for me. Enjoy it though The 30d is a top engine and the interior is lovely.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Sorry man but its ghastly!! It may be a good car but the hideous exterior ends it there for me. Enjoy it though The 30d is a top engine and the interior is lovely.
Obviously I can't agree otherwise I wouldn't have ordered one. I know there are lots of people on this forum saying they hate the looks of the GT (except those that have bought one!), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - this is just as subjective with cars as it is with what we find attractive in the opposite sex.

But as forums are supposed to allow debate - for the sake of healthy debate, what exactly do you find 'ghastly' and 'hideous' about the looks of the GT? I think they're very strong words, so can you back them up with some explanation or reasoning?

It also depends what you're comparing it to, and in terms of actually choosing a car to buy you have to consider what other choices or options are available.

Using my previous analogy - when I met my beautiful wife-to-be 20+ years ago, would I have made the same choice if Claudia Schiffer/Cindy Crawford had been standing there as a realistic alternative? I won't give an answer but the point is they weren't.

Would I choose the GT over, or do I think it's better looking than, a Ferrari or Lamborghini - it's an irrelevant question in terms of me actually buying a car.

After 3 years in my previous E61 Touring I wasn't looking at anything other than BMW; I need a car with reasonable boot space, but more important, a large enough boot door for push chair/family stuff; the car is for work doing 25-30k miles a year around the country and has to be a diesel; I am 6'5" tall and am not slim, so I need a car with some interior room/head room and enough rear legroom for a 4th passenger when I have my seat fully back. I couldn't afford an X5 or 7er, both of which might have done the job, so what else could I have bought that would have been more attractive in your view? I definitely prefer the looks of the GT over the new 5er Touring which would have been the only other option, and the GT has a lot more room, luxury and I like that there aren't many around as well.

Getting back to the looks - I can't see what people find so ugly about the GT - can anyone please explain?
      09-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Okay fair points so I will explain. It looks like a hearse. From the side, it looks like a knackered old man whose posture is more "hump back." At the front, the grills are too big and far forwards whilst the lights are too small and far back. The bonnet is flat and lifeless like the E90 3er pre-LCI and the current 7er. The rear is just odd and the whole car just seems our of proportion and for the money, the wheels are average. It also weighs too much and really is the "fat munter" of the BMW range. I can recognize however that this is a good car. The interior is great, the engine is ace and the handling is typical BMW.
BMW however have built a car for a market that barely exists. You are one of the very few as most others will go for the F10 or F11 if they need extra room. Those 2 are handsome things and because they weigh less, they go, turn and stop better than the GT as well as being more efficient. Enjoy your car anyway, its still a good car just wrapped in a scary body!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

SomeRandomer123

Have you ever driven one? After 2 years,I'm still in love with mine and still look forward to the drive every time I get into the car. That's more than can be said for my previous BMW's (E90,E60 LCI )
Complete strangers have come up to me and asked about it,and I find it satisfying to drive a relatively exclusive car.
Each to his own,but I doubt that your new car (when it arrives lol) will attract such interest, because there will be thousands on the road,mainly reps and the like.
Good luck with your new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

It is a real step up from the F10 in terms of overall experience, it makes the F10 feel cheap, and that is already a really nice place to be, which says a lot.

At the moment it is the only car in the BMW range I would want to buy.

I just decided against an F11 530d M-Sport today and put a deposit down on an E350cdi Sport Tourer instead.
It will be the first time in a very long time that I have not had a BMW on the drive, but after taking the F11 out again today realised it just isn't for me.

I would have bought a 5GT but my old man has one, and don't want to look like my Dad!!

By the way, already had an F11, my old man bought it and found it dull, so swapped for the GT, I had it off him and was bored of it after a week and so sold it and kept my E Class.

The GT is simply a 7 series with a hatch.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Just want to add, I am a real BMW fan, had loads from the E46 320d, 320d, 330i, E39 528i, 530i, 120d, 123d, E91 320d, 335i, 535d, M3, M3 CSL, E65 730d and the F10 just feels like a let down.

It doesn't do anything wrong, at all, but......I don't know, it just leaves me cold.
I think it is trying to do the exclusive, comfy thing more than previously, but it still falls along way short of others in that area.

The decider was me borrowing an A6 s-line avant, not only did it feel more comfy and special, it also seemed to handle better in some respects! An Audi that handles better??!!
C'mon BMW, what are you playing at?

I am sure the new 5 series appeals to more of the people more of the time, but to me it is not what I buy a 5 series for. If I want comfort I will go Merc, if I want sporty I go BMW, but not anymore.

I'm sure I will be back soon, maybe an F31 MSport?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post

The GT is simply a 7 series with a hatch.
....... but a lot cheaper lol
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, a hell of a lot cheaper.

When my old man bought it at a year old, he paid £32k for it, the cheapest 730d SE also a year old was £46k.
Looking now GTs at the same age and spec as his are £28k and you can get a 730d SE for around £26k, so a much better choice financially than the 7.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Kenny65
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

You made a good choice!

I love mine!! I look at it and love the way it looks. The spoilker adds a sporty look...not to mention the wheels. Looks better than the regular 5 series to me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Well, as a couple years on follow-up, I have to say that I still love the GT look in the right color....I find that, as with many cars, they look great in some colors and not so slick in others. I was enamored the first time I saw a silver GT 550 - loved the exotic fastback roof line and the brawny stance...I recently bought a silver GT 535 and although I think BMW could have done a little better job on the front end, I still love the look and I like that I can go weeks (even living in an affluent area) and not see another GT..the interior is amazing (I get wide eyed compliments each time someone goes for a ride) and the comfort is top notch with incredible rear seating room (my 6'4" 240 lb buddy couldn't believe how comfortable he was in my back seat recently). I think among the problems was the designation (as a 5-Series) as it really should not be compared to the F10/11 or the E60/61...the GT is really a 7...should have been designated as such 735i GT, 750i GT, 730d GT...that's what it is...and it drives as such, not like a lighter 535. I suppose they didn't want to take away from the 7-Series sales figures with the significant price difference? In any case, it seems now that 2015 has hit, it's clear the design style is here to stay and has been expanded in the 3 GT and X4...value for money in undeniable as a used vehicle - I could not touch the trim level and extras I got with my GT in another brand at this price...get one before others figure it out and good used ones disappear. Best to all....enjoy your GT's for what they really are, not bemoan what they were never intended to be!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram0326 View Post
I love mine!! I look at it and love the way it looks. The spoilker adds a sporty look...not to mention the wheels. Looks better than the regular 5 series to me!
Looks Awesome! Just blackout the window trim and call it a day!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
che96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like a bull! Congrates!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Makiedog
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive GT

In response to SomeRandomer123's comment that the GT looks like a hearse. When did they build a hearse with a sloping fastback? The F11 station wagon is the one with a hearse proportion, the criticism doesn't even make sense.

I understand the GT is not for everyone, but for those of us who understand and appreciate the design mission (ride height, roominess, dual mode hatch, luxury, etc.), this car is beautiful. Its rarity also makes it exclusive. In the US where 3 and 5 series are almost as common as Honda Accords, the GT's rarity is an added bonus.

2011 535i X-drive Gran Turismo
19" LA 369 Wheels
Facebook 5 GT Owners' Group
Appreciate 0