2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Conti DWS 06 Reviews

05-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Temonio
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Conti DWS 06 Reviews

Back story...
I have a 2012 535i. I am using my need for an alignment as a reason to go from 18's to 20's (square setup). I am looking to keep the F10 for about 15-18 more months. I had the the DWS' on my X5 and they are now on my Yukon (don't ask how I went from these two extremes). I was looking at these because they seem reasonably priced and it doesn't snow that heavily here, where I am in TN. So, I liked the "all-season" option.

I was thinking about getting the Conti's when I upgrade, but I'd been reading on another site that these don't seem to be the best tires...for THIS car. Anyone else having that issue? Also, if not these, what do guys recommend?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

We had the original DWS on our E70 X5 and that tire did an amazing job on it. We also have the DWS 06 on our 13 535ix GT, and they are good, but there is one drawback that is well known. The soft sidewalls inhibit steering response and accuracy and the tire feels a bit lazy in transition. You may also notice crosswinds on the highway more due to sidewall flex. This tendancy improves as the tire wears. The DWS is also not the quietest tire out there, but isn't bad. Overall if you are in TN and looking for only occasional light snow, the Micheln AS3+ may be a better choice with higher performance. If you can swing a summer-only set, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is unbeatable and seems to ride as soft as the DWS 06, but has better steering response and tracking and has boat loads more warm weather grip.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Temonio
Private
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback. I had the same experience with my X5. The DWS's were pretty solid. Solid enough that they were the first thought I had when I was starting my search. I was trying to avoid spending the Michelin money, but it seems like this might be my best bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Go Michelin.
I have the DWS 06 on my e90 and though they are quieter and more comfy, I am absolutely totally disappointed in the steering feel and accuracy.
A set of worn out Michelin AS3s were like a laser compared to these.
I now feel body lean, squishiness, slow steering, and rear suspension wobbles that I never EVER felt before.
They ARE grippy, quiet, and somewhat comfy, but if push the car, even a little, you WILL be disappointed.
I had a set of original DWS on a 135i and hated them. Heard amazing things about the new 06s, and I'm sad to say there is very little improvement. I will never buy these again.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
Go Michelin.
I have the DWS 06 on my e90 and though they are quieter and more comfy, I am absolutely totally disappointed in the steering feel and accuracy.
A set of worn out Michelin AS3s were like a laser compared to these.
I now feel body lean, squishiness, slow steering, and rear suspension wobbles that I never EVER felt before.
They ARE grippy, quiet, and somewhat comfy, but if push the car, even a little, you WILL be disappointed.
I had a set of original DWS on a 135i and hated them. Heard amazing things about the new 06s, and I'm sad to say there is very little improvement. I will never buy these again.
This, right here...

Keep DWS, DWS06, and DW AWAY from your car if you value sharp, precise, and weighty steering.
Those Contis do something really awful to steering response and feel. They are just far too soft.

But they do have their merits. They are quiet. The ride is smooth, and wet traction is damn near awesome. Just don’t confuse these as sporty tires or tires for sporty vehicles.

Back to the loss of steering pizazz... Modern day BMW are designed for and fitted with Runflats from the factory. As we all know, runflats have super stiff sidewalls. Just going to a normal non runflat can diminish steering weight and sharpness by a noticeable amount. The DWS06 make this worse by being soft for even a non runflat. You are adding softness on top of softness... handling precision will suffer.

Mind you, the DWS06 ultimately have good grip. They just fail at stability, responsiveness, and sharpness. Some owners won’t notice or care, but if you live and breathe for a sporty driving experience, the DW series will stick out like a sore thumb (in a bad way).

To anyone considering these, you have been officially warned.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
kneepuck
Bavarian Money Waster
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Depends what your car is mainly for...daily driver? Theses are awesome. They offer great mileage and good grip. If you are looking for all out performance, look elsewhere.

I've been through 2 sets of these already. Still like them for the daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneepuck View Post
Depends what your car is mainly for...daily driver? Theses are awesome. They offer great mileage and good grip. If you are looking for all out performance, look elsewhere.

I've been through 2 sets of these already. Still like them for the daily driver.
Some think a sharp, sporty handling tire is not needed (and can’t be appreciated) during “normal” driving. A responsive tire can be felt and appreciated around town, during city driving, and even when maneuvering in/out of a parking lot.

The DWS06s offer a plush ride that many want, desire, and/or need. Job well done. However, this plushness comes at the direct expense of responsive handling. There are other tires that more admirably blend response, ride quality, and precision.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
Temonio
Private
Rep

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Some think a sharp, sporty handling tire is not needed (and can’t be appreciated) during “normal” driving. A responsive tire can be felt and appreciated around town, during city driving, and even when maneuvering in/out of a parking lot.

The DWS06s offer a plush ride that many want, desire, and/or need. Job well done. However, this plushness comes at the direct expense of responsive handling. There are other tires that more admirably blend response, ride quality, and precision.
Yes. I am a lot like you in that I like to drive more "spirited" that most, so the responsiveness is important to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

I bought a set for my new 356 wheels. As others have mentioned, they are comfortable. I think they are a great value for daily driving. I was sold on the tread-wear, comfort, and all-season performance.
Appreciate 0