2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 535i order opinions

01-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport2015 535i M S

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
armanm, I definitely understand. I couldn't decide between what the compromise, so I pretty much loaded it up. I left off the B&O since the Harmon Kardon really sounds pretty good, and the night vision (which I was contemplated) really based upon some very poor reviews I've read. Other than that, I pretty much went all out.

I think you have the right idea - head down to the dealer and play with everything they'll let you touch/drive. Then prioritize. If you're going to test the DHP vs. non-DHP, I'd drive them back-to-back and don't be afraid to push it. I'm not sure how your friendly your CA is, but I'd just let them know that you need to push it a little to decide. You'll feel the anti-roll at work mainly in the turns - so I'd take the same roads on both test drives, drive spirited in both, etc, to really get apples to apples.

DHP vs. passive suspension seems to be an age-old debate around here, but it's still probably worth reading all of the threads. Many people tend to focus on "adjusting the dampers" and forget all about the active roll. To me, especially on a car of this size, the anti-roll is just as critical as adjusting the dampers. Likewise, I'd take your two test drives over a variety of surfaces. Make sure to hit some rough roads and adjust the settings as you go.

I think it'll really come down to what you value the most, though. If you're all about the driving experience, I'd look hard at the DHP. If creature comforts are higher on the priority list, then certainly the LEDs and luxury seats may be worth prioritizing. At the end of the day, you're going to have a GREAT car. The I6 is a fantastic engine, too, and it's quite quick - in normal driving circumstances it's honestly a better choice than the V8. After driving BMW I6's for the last 13 years, I figured I'd go nuts with the V8 this time around... but I'm pretty sure that most of the time I'll just be using more gas and not really tapping the power.

Keep us informed - definitely curious to hear your thoughts after going for some test drives!
You just keep making it harder and harder for me to decide what to add to my build. I'm trying to not tip the $70k mark. There are soo many combinations that can be done, ive built the car probably 15 times today alone.

I'm beginning to lose hope for the LED's. Now do I go with the DHP alone or add the luxury seating package as well....but I will definitely order the surround view, although add another $1200 and I can get the DA+ pack. So many decisions to make. I'm glad I have a firm decision on the Alpine White with Mocha Nappa Leather and the Aluminum Hexagon trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoav View Post
I have a car very similar to your spec - AW/Mocha, and pretty much everything on it, including ceramic controls - but not soft close doors. If I were to do it over again, I'd reverse those two options.

1) Ceramic controls don't really stand out that much with the Mocha - the matte silver actually looks great

2) Soft close doors are incredibly useful in this car where the last door to shut always requires a strong pull (or push).

Other than that, get ACC, it's really fun.

Cheers!
Can you take some pics of the Mocha Interior. Thanks in advance.

I am soo torn I dont know what I want to add to my order anymore. I dont want to end up regretting not getting something or regretting that I got somethings, because I am in that situation with my F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #25
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Armanm - I'm a techie, so I have a hard time passing up a "toy." That said, I've also kept my last two BMWs for 6.5 years each. Given that I keep these cars a pretty long time, I tend to load them up for two reasons: 1, I'm going to live with it for a long time, and 2, it's been better for resale down the road to have a nicely equipped car. If you're leasing and fully intend to give it back after 3 years, don't sweat it. If you decide you left something off that you really want, I'm sure you'll have another go at it in 3 more years... and probably 16 other new options to choose from, too.

The DHP is expensive, but I do feel it's worth every penny and then some. But that's me. I drive lot of long distance trips, and I often find myself going in and out of cities with poor roads (where I want a comfy suspension) and 10 minutes later I'm on a nice smooth highway or twisty back-road and want the car to feel firm and agile. I suffered through 6.5 years of a passive sport suspension on the 335i, and while it was excellent for some driving situations, it made me cringe at other times... largely in cities.

I also find the DHP technology fascinating. So maybe I'm halfway in love with it for what it can do and another half for how it does it! But if you drive each day on relatively consistent and smooth roads, I could see this being unnecessary. In the north east, where I am, that's not the case. You get a real mix of road conditions and quite a bit of broken asphalt from the snow/ice.

On the LEDs, as I said before, I think they're noticeably different from my last few tests. But as much as I say that, I have a REALLY hard time defending them as "critical." Can you not see with xenons? Sure you can. Are xenons not bright and beautiful? Sure they are. In reality, I think more people like the LEDs for the "look" when you're OUTSIDE the car versus actually being behind the wheel. They look eye-catching and different when you're outside the car. But when you're behind the wheel, you don't appreciate that as much. So, while they're nice (and novel), I can't say they're critical.

The luxury seats, as I said before too, are really just that... a luxury. Do you really need even MORE ways to position your seat? I know I don't. Maybe some find it necessary? I got them primarily for the Active Seats and Ventilation. The car (in the tradition of my last 2 BMWs) is Jet Black with Black leather. That translates to HOT on a summer's day. So, I think the ventilation would be nice. I also travel on long trips consistently, and I think I'll find the active seats useful. But if you're not going long distances regularly, and you're already fine with the number of adjustments in your F30, that only leaves you with the ventilation feature. Could be worth it in LA... but then again, once the A/C is on for 10 minutes it's a non-issue.

I'm sure you'll figure out the right combo. Something else you may want to consider. Configure the car 2 or 3 different ways that you find potentially suitable. Go do your homework at the dealer - drive the DHP/non-DHP, play with the other options, etc. And then get to negotiating. Don't let the CA know what's really critical or not - even if you know. Have them do a search for the cars that meet your 2 or 3 potential configurations. It may work in your favor - if there's a car that suits your desire already out there, you can always play it off as "not quite what you want" and go down the "I'll order instead" route. Most CAs, in my experience, would rather sell you a car that month versus have you order (even if they're trading for it) - quicker commission for them? In any case, it can give you negotiating leverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #26
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanm View Post
Thanks for the reply. Now you really have me torn between the Lighting package, luxury seating package, and the DHP (im starting to consider it). I guess I really need to get down there and drive one with and one without the DHP and see which I feel as better. Keep in mind mine will be a 535i and not the 550i monster v8 like yours so I am sure you have more use for it with that mighty engine.
Re: DHP. Realize that ezmaass has an xDrive car, which even with M-Sport doesn't get the 704 M-Sport Suspension that you get on a RWD car. So DHP is the only "sport suspension" option for ezmaass and more of a "must-have" option for enthusiastic drivers on xDrive cars. DHP is a harder decision to make for RWD M-sports, because you've already got the fantastic M-sport suspension, so adding $3500 for DHP (which replaces the M-sport suspension) is of more questionable utility. You'll really just have to drive (read: thrash) them both to see what you like. But the M-sport suspension is still impressively comfortable, not harsh.

Also, very few cars on dealer lots have DHP. All F10s will have the sport/comfort rocker switch, even those that don't have adjustable (DHP) suspension, so don't let the presence of the switch fool you into thinking that the test car has adjustable suspension. Without DHP, it just adjusts the transmission shift points and steering weight (even on M-Sport suspension). You have to confirm DHP on the window sticker.

Re: Seats. If you don't want to spring for the full luxury seating package, the Multi-Contour seats are a standalone option at $1300. When I was configuring my car I also thought "seats are seats" and wasn't going to get them. A car on the lot had everything I wanted, plus the Multi-Contour seats (and heating), and instead of ordering I got the CA to sell me the car at my price without including the seat cost and was able to drive home that day. I'm VERY impressed with them. They totally cradle you with what feels like completely even pressure from your thighs to your head. Not sure of all the specific differences, but I think it's that you get adjustable thigh extensions (fantastic for me, I'm tall), the backrest tilt/contours in two places (the standard bottom angle, plus contour adjust at about shoulder-blade level), and power headrest height, with manual headrest "wings" to cradle your head. They are awesome. The 2014's also have power side bolsters that my 2013 doesn't have.

Last edited by mness; 01-08-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Re: DHP. Realize that ezmaass has an xDrive car, which even with M-Sport doesn't get the 704 M-Sport Suspension that you get on a RWD car. So DHP is the only "sport suspension" option for ezmaass and more of a "must-have" option for enthusiastic drivers on xDrive cars. DHP is a harder decision to make for RWD M-sports, because you've already got the fantastic M-sport suspension, so adding $3500 for DHP (which replaces the M-sport suspension) is of more questionable utility. You'll really just have to drive (read: thrash) them both to see what you like. But the M-sport suspension is still impressively comfortable, not harsh.

Also, very few cars on dealer lots have DHP. All F10s will have the sport/comfort rocker switch, even those that don't have adjustable (DHP) suspension, so don't let the presence of the switch fool you into thinking that the test car has adjustable suspension. Without DHP, it just adjusts the transmission shift points and steering weight (even on M-Sport suspension). You have to confirm DHP on the window sticker.

Re: Seats. If you don't want to spring for the full luxury seating package, the Multi-Contour seats are a standalone option at $1300. When I was configuring my car I also thought "seats are seats" and wasn't going to get them. A car on the lot had everything I wanted, plus the Multi-Contour seats (and heating), and instead of ordering I got the CA to sell me the car at my price without including the seat cost and was able to drive home that day. I'm VERY impressed with them. They totally cradle you with what feels like completely even pressure from your thighs to your head. Not sure of all the specific differences, but I think it's that you get adjustable thigh extensions (fantastic for me, I'm tall), the backrest tilt/contours in two places (the standard bottom angle, plus contour adjust at about shoulder-blade level), and power headrest height, with manual headrest "wings" to cradle your head. They are awesome. The 2014's also have power side bolsters that my 2013 doesn't have.
On the money on each point! Yes, my car is xDrive, so the only TRUE suspension option that can offer "sport" settings is the DHP. The regular suspension with M Sport on the xDrive cars is still the standard suspension (albeit a revamped one for the LCI). I believe, as of "September builds" (according to BMW), the 2014 RWD cars with M Sport package will get the M Sport suspension.

In any case, I completely agree that driving the cars hard is a must. I'd also recommend taking the cars over various road surfaces. To the point made here, the rocker switch is present on each car, and you must confirm that DHP is indeed included to really know if what you're testing is the "real deal." Otherwise it'll just change the steering and throttle. Funny story - when I went to go test drive cars, the dealer didn't have any 550xi cars with DHP (no less all the other options I wanted) on the lot, but the dealer's owner had a car that matched nearly perfectly - his private car. He let me take it out for a spin, which was the way I go to test a 550xi with DHP.

It's an expensive option, sure. And considering that many people may not really put it to the test each and every day, I can understand why many dealers don't stock cars with it - it's more of a popular feature when ordering. Same goes for B&O. It's very hard to find one on the lot, more popular in orders.

But I will maintain that I find it one of the most impressive features of the car. Actually, just writing about it here puts a smile on my face. I fully expect to see this ending up as "mainstream" for BMWs in the future. It reminds me of when I got my 2001 325i with navigation. Navigation wasn't even an option in the 3-series until that year, and in general it was still a pretty new technology. It was a $3k option, or there about, and it was almost unheard of - part of the reason I had to order that car. Now it's a very common option on the 3 and standard on the 5 and 7... just the way technology evolves.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
Centralcoastgolf
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i m sport

I have the same car. 2014 535i white with mocha interior w/ M Sport..

1. The mocha is awesome with white, much better than the black.
2. LED headlights are worth the upgrade. They look so much better and they light up the road like floodlights. If you drive where there are a lot of deer and elk I might not use the LED's, they will blind the wildlife and that's when they jump out in front of you.
3. Harman Kardon upgrade so far is questionable. My wife's 2013 Lexus RS sounds better with standard factory speakers. All of the BMW's I have had suck when it comes to stereo.
4. I got the contour seats which was a 1,400 add on but I wanted the full upgrade on the seats but would have had to order and wait two months for the car.
5. I wanted the soft close doors but again would have had to wait for the car.
6. One thing I regret not getting was the blind spot warning. My wife's Lexus has it and when I got my car I couldn't believe how ofter I found myself having to crank my neck both ways looking to see if it was clear. With the led in the rear view mirrors you just look and go, no guess work It's a MAJOR and necessary add on.
7. Also, make sure your car was build after September 2013 or you will get the crappy suspension system. (BMW screwed up and built all the early 2014's with the wrong suspension)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

I'd go for mocha leather, that way you get nappa for free, and mocha looks great with AW. As for the LED headlights, just like everyone said, they are definitely better looking from the outside and better on very dark roads. Do you "need" them? That's a personal choice, but not sure they are an absolute necessity.
With regard to the luxury seating package, I recommend you go to dealer and sit in cars with both the standard seats and multi contour seats. Go with the one that suits you better. I tried both and felt the multi contour seats weren't necessary so I was able to pick up some other tech options instead. The ceramic controls are purely cosmetic and I didn't see a need for them. Also of note on ceramic controls, down here in Florida, the ceramic controls were too hot to touch after being in direct sunlight. I could barely touch the transmission shifter on my test drive. Obviously not so much of an issue in colder climates.
      01-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
I'd go for mocha leather, that way you get nappa for free, and mocha looks great with AW. As for the LED headlights, just like everyone said, they are definitely better looking from the outside and better on very dark roads. Do you "need" them? That's a personal choice, but not sure they are an absolute necessity.
With regard to the luxury seating package, I recommend you go to dealer and sit in cars with both the standard seats and multi contour seats. Go with the one that suits you better. I tried both and felt the multi contour seats weren't necessary so I was able to pick up some other tech options instead. The ceramic controls are purely cosmetic and I didn't see a need for them. Also of note on ceramic controls, down here in Florida, the ceramic controls were too hot to touch after being in direct sunlight. I could barely touch the transmission shifter on my test drive. Obviously not so much of an issue in colder climates.
The LED's will be a must have. As far as the luxury seating package I might take a pass unless the dealer can give me a sweet deal. I will also not be getting the ceramic controls because in LA even the regular non ceramics are hot to touch when in direct sunlight. Which means tints are a must.

Since it will be a lease I can always add on more options at lease end when picking up a newer beemer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
3rd party
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E60 530xi, 14 550i x-drive

I thought years ago we switched from vinyl seating to leather since it breathes? I think the non-perforated leather seats look much better and the appearance is the same btwn front and back seats. I have the ventilated seats in my non-BMW car and I haven't ever used them other than to see what they did.

My 2006 BMW stock seats are great, I can't imagine MY 2014 being unsatisfactory in any way. I did test drive a 2014 the other day and thought they were excellent.
Appreciate 0