2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Advise on buying a replacement key 13 F10 with CA

08-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Dark Graphite 528i

Any advises is greatly appreciated.
I do need to buy a replacement key and I tried calling different dealers and there prices quotes are around $400 for complete key replacement.

Firstly, is there a better place to buy a complete key some where else rather than @dealer?

And also Can someone please let me know if I need to pay extra 180$ that dealer quoted to have my key work for Comfort Access?

I thought a new key in F10 is programmed by placing in near the steering column should make the new key work.
      08-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Since you're in Anaheim CA, YOU'RE IN LUCK! BMWUSA has a special key replacement program for CA residents only. You call BMWUSA, pay them the discounted rate, and then pickup your key from your local dealer. My Comfort Access key for F10 was $250, versus over $400 from the dealer.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...placement.aspx

You can only get one from BMW, not a 3rd party. No, you don't need to pay extra for "programming" on modern BMWs - if your steering column has the printed picture of a key on the right side, when you get the new key you just hold it up to that while starting the car (with the other key on you) for it to sync.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 3
      08-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Since you're in Anaheim CA, YOU'RE IN LUCK! BMWUSA has a special key replacement program for CA residents only. You call BMWUSA, pay them the discounted rate, and then pickup your key from your local dealer. My Comfort Access key for F10 was $250, versus over $400 from the dealer.

You can only get one from BMW, not a 3rd party. No, you don't need to pay extra for "programming" on modern BMWs - if your steering column has the printed picture of a key on the right side, when you get the new key you just hold it up to that while starting the car (with the other key on you) for it to sync.
this is great info Lucky Cali
      08-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate your direction on this and also on the programming piece.
I hope people who work at dealership become enough knowledgeable like people here on these forums.
      08-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Update: i did get a new key and was charged $271 through the website mentioned above.
Thank you for the info @mness.
It was cheaper then going through a dealer directly.
i have Comfort Access and it came pre-programmed I didn't have to do anything.