2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Wheel & Tire Protection Plan Woes

02-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Wheel & Tire Protection Plan Woes

How does Safe-Guard, which underwrites the BMW Wheel & Tire Protection Plan, stay in business!?

My policy was $1,500 with no deductible for 5 years, I have 2 years left and have had nearly $23k in claims to date (at least $7k of which was fraudulent on BMWNA’s and my dealer’s part when bringing in my car for pulling to the right concerns).

Nevertheless, my car is at my dealer now, the two front tires have been replaced, but claims for the front two wheels (rims) were denied (even though I know they are bent, as previously verified with significant ‘hop’ by an independent tire shop, one of which is visibly ‘out of round’ from the face of the wheel).

What am I to do? I’m scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow, but have left a voicemail message for and e-mailed a Safe-Guard manager (who I’ve already spoken to in the past, who was nice, but unhelpful), who didn’t get back to me today. Ridiculous they’re denying valid claims.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-15-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
NeoNz
335 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
25k in claims!? How many pot holes are you hitting? Maybe move up a tire size if you can?

Sorry to hear that. regardless im sorry but it looks like you got your fair share of the warranty...lol Try some stronger aftermarket tires. What are you running now
1200rwhp/875rwtq, 3.4L Stroker

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your reply, NeoNz.

Not hitting many potholes and always do my best to avoid road imperfections; it's a problem with our cars, where our wheels and tires are susceptible and prone to damage.

Have always run my stock setup; 20" BMW Individual wheels with Goodyear Excellence tires. Unfortunately, our rigid, inflexible and dense run flat tires are a major contributing factor.

Not sure of your definition of 'fair share', but a contract is a contract, and by denying valid claims, BMW (and Safe-Guard) is in breach of same.

Wonder how to get past this short of filing lawsuit (small claims action)...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Not happy. :|

Last edited by dbs600; 02-15-2014 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
BossBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011

Why don't you put on some non-RFT tires?

Do you understand the problems with run flats?

They do not wear out evenly, hence the vibrations people feel. Another problem is that they are prone to failing when hitting road hazards like pot holes. Pot holes have been a huge problem this year.

People say ride quality is way better with non run flats on their f10's. Throw a spare in the huge trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Your best bet is to down size to 19 or 18 inch wheels and also switch to non-rft.. guaranteed to have much less problems if any at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBeamer View Post
Why don't you put on some non-RFT tires?

Do you understand the problems with run flats?

They do not wear out evenly, hence the vibrations people feel. Another problem is that they are prone to failing when hitting road hazards like pot holes. Pot holes have been a huge problem this year.

People say ride quality is way better with non run flats on their f10's. Throw a spare in the huge trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savion19 View Post
Your best bet is to down size to 19 or 18 inch wheels and also switch to non-rft.. guaranteed to have much less problems if any at all.
Thanks, Gentlemen.

Yes, I agree Run Flats are the main problem, but not planning to replace them until the Wheel & Tire Protection Plan is over.

Good news is that my repair order states the wheels are bent and that Safe Guard denied the claim.

Service manager is very upset with Safe Guard, states towards the end of 2013 they took a turn for the worse in denying claims, they do so in bad faith and there should be a class action against them! :|

Last edited by dbs600; 02-15-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Just spoke with the finance manager who sold me the policy 3 years ago.

Said she’ll e-mail her BMW Wheel & Tire Protection Plan rep and get back to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Brother we're in the same boat! These DC potholes and Goodyear LS2 have been a nightmare and BMW Wheel & Tire Protection has replaced multiple tires on my 550xi MSport. After my latest claim, my Service Advisor informs me that two of my wheels are bent. I thought the Wheel & Tire plan also protected the wheels of the car but apparently that's not the case. Only if the wheel damage is such that the tire cannot hold pressure will they pay a claim to replace the wheel. 😫

Now from my racing days, I used to have wheels repaired all the time by a local shop called Ye Ole Wheel & Welding in Elkton, MD. I would bring in cracked, bent, and heavily curb rash VW/Audi wheels and they would be repaired, straightened, and refinished for about $250 per wheel. The shop does amazing work and every last BBS wheel I bought new or used would look immaculate!

Check with your regular Auto Insurance to see if you can file a claim on your wheels. $500 deductible to repair multiple wheels might be worth it in the long run. Please let us know if your dealership has any headway with the Wheel & Tire Protection company. 😇
      02-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
Brother we're in the same boat! These DC potholes and Goodyear LS2 have been a nightmare and BMW Wheel & Tire Protection has replaced multiple tires on my 550xi MSport. After my latest claim, my Service Advisor informs me that two of my wheels are bent. I thought the Wheel & Tire plan also protected the wheels of the car but apparently that's not the case. Only if the wheel damage is such that the tire cannot hold pressure will they pay a claim to replace the wheel. 😫

Now from my racing days, I used to have wheels repaired all the time by a local shop called Ye Ole Wheel & Welding in Elkton, MD. I would bring in cracked, bent, and heavily curb rash VW/Audi wheels and they would be repaired, straightened, and refinished for about $250 per wheel. The shop does amazing work and every last BBS wheel I bought new or used would look immaculate!

Check with your regular Auto Insurance to see if you can file a claim on your wheels. $500 deductible to repair multiple wheels might be worth it in the long run. Please let us know if your dealership has any headway with the Wheel & Tire Protection company. 😇
Thanks for taking the time to write.

On another board someone recommended I check my agreement to see if it states it excludes wheels (rims) that don't hold air or don't balance, and it doesn't! So, I've since e-mailed the Safe Guard manager stating same as well, as the only thing my policy covers is "damage" and the only thing it excludes is "cosmetic damage". Therefore, a wheel that is not perfectly round is damaged. Ridiculous it's come to this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNz View Post
Maybe move up a tire size if you can?
Moving up a tyre size will exacerbate the problem - less sidewall height to absorb any impact.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by savion19 View Post
Completely agree - my 1 year old F12 AUC came with 20" rims, which results in about 2.5" of very stiff RF rubber sidewall between me and the road. Doesn't take much to figure that a harsh ride will result.
I'm changing to non-RF on 19" rims when the current tyres need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks for your reply, NeoNz.

Not hitting many potholes and always do my best to avoid road imperfections; it's a problem with our cars, where our wheels and tires are susceptible and prone to damage.

Have always run my stock setup; 20" BMW Individual wheels with Goodyear Excellence tires. Unfortunately, our rigid, inflexible and dense run flat tires are a major contributing factor.

Not sure of your definition of 'fair share', but a contract is a contract, and by denying valid claims, BMW (and Safe-Guard) is in breach of same.

Wonder how to get past this short of filing lawsuit (small claims action)...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Not happy. :|

most tire and rim protection plans have a cap on the amount of money that they pay out per plan. i have seen them as low as 2k and up to 10k, but never 25k. you should read the fine print of the contract
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3 View Post
most tire and rim protection plans have a cap on the amount of money that they pay out per plan. i have seen them as low as 2k and up to 10k, but never 25k. you should read the fine print of the contract
Thanks; next to no fine print; agreement attached:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW WHEEL & TIRE PROTECTION PLAN.pdf (212.2 KB, 1749 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
NeoNz
335 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Moving up a tyre size will exacerbate the problem - less sidewall height to absorb any impact.
i meant the opposite, moving up a sidewall size lol. more tire to absorb the shock i didn't realize some bimmers came with 20's stock! yikes.
1200rwhp/875rwtq, 3.4L Stroker

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Speak of the devil... I hit a massive pothole today and after much debate I called BMW Customer Care and SafeGuard to go over my Wheel & Tire Protection plan. Yes, the plan has covered my wheels but I have a cracked and bent rim! I will be visiting my dealership in the morning to have my suspension, wheels, and tires checked.

I'll give you guys the verdict in the morning!
      02-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Haile2066
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

DBS, I am completely in your corner. A contract is a contract and they should honor that contract. Not sure why other members are suggesting you change tires and rims. I would not change anything until your plan expires, until then, they're stuck with replacing/fixing your wheels when damages happen. The previous owner of my car had this same plan, but fortunately he nor I have had any issues with the wheels. I'm running stock 18's and RFT's, which I just changed to regular Continentals DWS because I hated the harsh rides of the RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Wheel & Tire Protection Plan Woes

I'VE HAD IT WITH SAFE-GUARD.

Vibration when driving. Pull into service drive, point out three bubbled tires. Service advisor brings car into shop and puts it on lift. Service advisor, tech and I observe all four rims being bent, worst being right front and left rear; bad hop when spun.

Service advisor calls to state that three tires are approved, but all rims are denied. I go crazy, as two are obviously bent. I call Safe-Guard and Safe-Guard contacts dealer to request additional photos.

Safe-Guard subsequently approves the left front rim, WHICH IS NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS THE FRONT RIGHT OR REAR LEFT!? I call Safe-Guard and speak with a manger who states that someone must’ve over stepped their authority' and that I’m 'lucky for any rims to have been approved as far as he’s concerned'. WTF IS GOING ON HERE!?

Safe-Guard manager states they do not cover ‘out of round’ wheels, but only those damaged by ‘road hazard impact’. Rims don’t come bent and short of lawsuit, I don’t know what else I have to do anymore. Safe-Guard also no longer sends inspectors, no longer accepts total indicated run out values and doesn’t accept video showing a bent rim for claims. They state that if the bend is not visible when the wheel is stationary / static, it’s not covered, which is BS, as the contract / policy nowhere states same.

I asked if the rims were removed for the pictures and was told they were left on the car. I said it’s certainly difficult to tell with less than half of the wheel showing and they said my dealer is ‘intimately aware of the claims process’. I said Safe-Guard should review additional photos and was told they will not, as multiple managers have already reviewed the claim.

I may not replace the tires, as there’s no doubt that if I do, they will subsequently state there’s no ‘sign of corresponding road hazard impact’. Nonsense through and through.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #18
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

I had a bad experience once with BMW's tire protection. They included it into my lease on my 2011 335XI coupe. So I went into a tire shop to replace my tires cuz they were worn from natural wear and tear and after taking one of the tires off they noticed a cracked wheel. I contacted them and they refused to replace the wheel even tho I had insurance. I called bmw and said I don't want the insurance anymore and I want them to cancel it and reduce my monthly payment by the amount that is the insurance charge. They said they can't reduce my monthly payment but they did cancel the insurance and issued me a one time credit for the prorated amount left... obviously not a solution you're hoping for but I didnt feel like dealing with them and their BS policies.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
I had a bad experience once with BMW's tire protection. They included it into my lease on my 2011 335XI coupe. So I went into a tire shop to replace my tires cuz they were worn from natural wear and tear and after taking one of the tires off they noticed a cracked wheel. I contacted them and they refused to replace the wheel even tho I had insurance. I called bmw and said I don't want the insurance anymore and I want them to cancel it and reduce my monthly payment by the amount that is the insurance charge. They said they can't reduce my monthly payment but they did cancel the insurance and issued me a one time credit for the prorated amount left... obviously not a solution you're hoping for but I didnt feel like dealing with them and their BS policies.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

DBS - I'd just take them to small claims court - $5k limit. A bit of your time for some satisfaction. Too many companies these days are essentially selling scams, and the only way to stop it (for everyone's benefit) is for the consumer to call them on the carpet. Open a better business claim against them while you're at it.

Posting this info here is good, too - these scam artists need to realize that consumers are "social" these days, and stories like this spread like wild-fire among potential customers (and existing ones). From everything I've seen of your posts, you seem like a legit and reasonable guy - so I feel for you. This kind of garbage just irritates me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

DBS, try these guys. They charge about $150 to fix bent rims.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #22
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, Gentlemen.

The latest:

As stated, I had three bubbled tires and four bent rims; front right and left rear rims being worst. After significant back and forth, Safe-Guard decided to cover the front left rim, which was not the worst. So, I had the dealer replace the front right rim and tire.

Note the repair order lines attached and the following videos showing the bent left rear rim remaining; bubble also shown on tire edge in third video:

Am I asking too much?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0