2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BMW Apps vs. BMW Online

01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

BMW Apps vs. BMW Online

I popped for BMW Apps ($250) when I bought my \'11 F10. I thought the concept was that they would continue to add new apps to the BMW Connected mobile phone app. However, in a few short months, they seem to have migrated their efforts to BMW Online ($200 annual fee). Now, you\'ve got some apps via Apps (FB, Twitter, Internet radio, Pandora) and other apps via Online (Yelp, weather, stocks, search and has prices). There\'s also the MOG music service app with a monthly fee - not sure where that one falls yet, or is it on yet another platform? It\'s all getting confusing and expensive.

Does anyone know what BMW\'s future strategy is with all of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
The same as every car company... Try to charge thousands of dollars for computer technology which is an outdated shadow of what was available in consumer electronics three years before the car was built.

We can only hope that oneday one of the car companies will get out of the computer technology business and install an open computer platform (perhaps based on Google Android). This will make them less money directly from the features, but more money from brand loyalty... at least until every other company is encouraged to follow suit.

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaSyrup View Post
The same as every car company... Try to charge thousands of dollars for computer technology which is an outdated shadow of what was available in consumer electronics three years before the car was built.

We can only hope that oneday one of the car companies will get out of the computer technology business and install an open computer platform (perhaps based on Google Android). This will make them less money directly from the features, but more money from brand loyalty... at least until every other company is encouraged to follow suit.
Not entirely true. As far as I understand, Lexus is giving away apps with its navigation system on the upcoming GS350, and it uses the data plan from your existing smartphone.

Hope this puts pressure on BMW to start making things free.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Does anyone know what their release schedule for updates is for BMWAPPS? It doesnt appear that it is evolving ...