2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications N63 Exhaust Route Suggestions

06-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Have 550i with catless downpipes , resonators removed and muffler deleted as well. Looking to quiet it down just a tad, as the turbo whistle is phenomenal. Snaps and pops beautifully.

Want to keep the catless downpipes and muffler delete but maybe do something with the resonators, as there is some raspy metallic sound around 4K rpm when under load.

Maybe put back on factory resonators? Or will that quiet it too much?

Or will a Custom x pipe give it a nice tone without quieting it down too much?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I have this same issue on my 535i. I have an X Pipe currently where my resonator used to be and still have rasp, so that didn't help. I just ordered a pair of Vibrant 1790 bottle style resonators and will install them this week. My gut says that should work without killing off the tone, cracks and burbles.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman535 View Post
Have 550i with catless downpipes , resonators removed and muffler deleted as well. Looking to quiet it down just a tad, as the turbo whistle is phenomenal. Snaps and pops beautifully.

Want to keep the catless downpipes and muffler delete but maybe do something with the resonators, as there is some raspy metallic sound around 4K rpm when under load.

How difficult is it to install downpipes on the 550?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
I have this same issue on my 535i. I have an X Pipe currently where my resonator used to be and still have rasp, so that didn't help. I just ordered a pair of Vibrant 1790 bottle style resonators and will install them this week. My gut says that should work without killing off the tone, cracks and burbles.
Sweet. Definitely keep me updated please. Standing revs and at idle sounds amazing but under load, past 4K sounds like a Harley motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Quote:

How difficult is it to install downpipes on the 550?
I had a real good, known shop do it. If I remember right, they only charged me $150, it was bolt on.

Fairly simple I believe, but it's a tight fit and I believe they had to remove one of the heat shields for it to sit properly.

Definitely worth it though, best exhaust mod I've done. I went catless instead of catted , so the turbo hiss is ridiculously loud with mufflers and resonators removed. Turbos spool much quicker. Only con is CEL (removed with my code reader every 100 miles or so) and faint gas smell from exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
Any update on your vibrant resonators ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Also, will our factory resonators quiet the exhaust more than say, vibrant resonators?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Any update on your vibrant resonators ?
Hey so the vibrant resonators were a huge success. I thought about putting my stock resonator back on but my fear is it would be too restricting airflow wise and that it might tone done the exhaust more than I wanted.

I used 2 Vibrant 1790 bottle style resonators, but those are 2.25" piping which is what my stock piping used. I'm not sure what size your piping is (maybe 2.5") so I would just double check and get the applicable muffler.

It will tone down the pops and cracks in general but I still get them at low RPMs and still get a nice crackle/pop on heavy throttle upshifts. It took out 95% of the rasp and also lowered the drone that came from the catless DP. All in all, very damn happy with the purchase and I think my exhaust is perfect at this point.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Atlantis M3tallic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The metallic sound comes from catless down pipes.

Previous: F10 550i M Sport - Alpine White - Vossen CV4 Graphite / H&R Sport springs / Active Autowerke Down pipes & Exhaust / BMS Stage 1 / M-Performance Front Splitter /DTM CF Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR F10 View Post
I know this sounds ghetto but I wonder if 2 cherry Bomb mufflers in place of resonators will change the raspy tone, but keep the deepness.

Or any other straight through design muffler, something that won't tame the exhaust too much. Any recommendations ?

Any videos? AMTF10
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR F10 View Post
I know this sounds ghetto but I wonder if 2 cherry Bomb mufflers in place of resonators will change the raspy tone, but keep the deepness.

Or any other straight through design muffler, something that won't tame the exhaust too much. Any recommendations ?

Any videos? AMTF10
Not yet but I'll try to take some. I've never been a fan of how cherry bombs sounded on cars.
Appreciate 0