2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BimmerFest 2017 Track Day

06-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
BimmerFest 2017 Track Day

This year we ended up taking our 550i on track at the Auto Club Speedway just to see how the car performs. Surprisingly, she held up pretty well, though we did find few issues that should be addressed if anyone plans to track a non-M F10.

1) Brakes: The most critical component that we ran into the problems with early on in the day. After the initial warm-up lap, we started to push the limits of the stock brakes right after turn 1 and since then, things just got worse. I had to really get on them way sooner then I wanted to, just to give me enough cushion on the turns. On the 6th lap, we were hitting 155mph on the back straight and maintaining 108-110mph on the turn 1 and turn 2. Coming into the turn 3, the pedal was going all the way to the floor and I had to use the parking brake while pumping the brakes just to be able to get into the turn without sliding out. After that I had to take it easy and pretty much do a cool-down lap. At the same time, a mustang in front of me lost his brakes as well and went off a track. (You can see that at around 16:10 on video)

2) Cooling: A stock cooling system might good enough for a STOCK car, but for sure not for a flashed one. It was about 92F that day, and I had overheating messages pooping up every lap on the back straight. Granted, we are running 22-24psi and half of tank of meth, but still that is an issue that needs to be addressed for F10 to be even slightly track worthy. Data logs showed 135-140C oil temperatures. That is VERY not safe but the car survived 40+ minutes...shows you how well these engines really are built

3) Suspension: Our car has stock mSport suspension and it performed decently on the track. Yes, the car has a LOT of body roll, but it was manageable for sure. Stiffer shocks and sway bars would really help a bunch.

4) Tires and rear end: We are running PSS 285/35/19 on the rear of this car and after 3 laps, the tires got too hot and started to slide all over the place. Coming out of the corners, we would spin 3rd pretty much all the time and couldn't get into high boost until we shift into 4th, by which time we already had to slow down.

This was my first time at this track with this car and the best time she put down was 2:09:xx. Not too bad for a Stock grocery cart with just a flash.

Next month we should be out there again, this time with better tires and castrol srf brake fluid (maybe it will help the brake fade a bit). it also seems like Bmw doubles will be joining us.

Here is a video from second session:

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Looking forward to tracking my house boat. Should be a record setter for the F10 535.

Preparation for track:
- Flushing with Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
- Exchange radiator fluid for 70/30 distilled water and water wetter
- Removing and coding out luxury seats for a 300lb saving. Should help with braking. (Track day only)
- Installing QTP exhaust dump valve with turn down right after the DP and flash aggressive burble tune
- Install Wagner FMIC
- DEI gold wrap air intake
- Flash back to 500wtq

Measures already taken:
- Koni adjustables
- Higher spring rate
- M5 sways
- Reversed oil cooling valve runs constant 215 degrees under constant hard driving and high boost
- removed hood seal
- 550 clutch
- UUC SSK

Lets go!
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Looking forward to tracking my house boat. Should be a record setter for the F10 535.

Lets go!
looking forward to this bro!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0