2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum pulling to the left (UK model)

06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

pulling to the left (UK model)

All, thought I'd post an update on an issue I've had with my 530d msport (uk model) since new.
(Previosuly on the Uk Real DRls thread but breaking out here)

Car is on 19" 351 wheels and RFTs and msport suspension.
Noticed that the car pulls the left since new , nothing dangerous but if you take your hads off the wheel at higher speeds, it drifts off to the left.

Car went in for a KDS check under warranty today and they found that the rear right toe-in was out by +0 degrees 20 minutes which is out of tolerence.
All other readings were within tolerence.
This has been addressed but the car does seem very sensitive to camber.
Driving on the left means that in most cases the road will slope to the left so some pull is expected and I guess wide tyres presumably amplify this?

they've also checked other items namely tyre pressures, and EPS.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Entirely normal, my car does this (UK). On roads with negative or positive camber the car will drift left or right.. The answer? Keep your hands on the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
All, thought I'd post an update on an issue I've had with my 530d msport (uk model) since new.
(Previosuly on the Uk Real DRls thread but breaking out here)

Car is on 19" 351 wheels and RFTs and msport suspension.
Noticed that the car pulls the left since new , nothing dangerous but if you take your hads off the wheel at higher speeds, it drifts off to the left.

Car went in for a KDS check under warranty today and they found that the rear right toe-in was out by +0 degrees 20 minutes which is out of tolerence.
All other readings were within tolerence.
This has been addressed but the car does seem very sensitive to camber.
Driving on the left means that in most cases the road will slope to the left so some pull is expected and I guess wide tyres presumably amplify this?

they've also checked other items namely tyre pressures, and EPS.
When I first got my E60, it tended to drift to the left. I told them to adjust the steering wheel to make it go straight. Whether it was as simple as that I don't know but now if I take my hands off the wheel the car just carries on in the direction I was last pointing (normally straight on!)
      07-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

all, an dupdate on this, took itin the dealers for a technician to have another look at given its 'worse' at motorway speeds.
So the guy took it down the motorway and I asked him what he thought and he said it actuially fine, this is how the car is setup. Its just very sensitive to the camber .
He said there was nothing rong with this car at all and driveslike all others.
He said he had experived cars in tepast that needd constant corrections omn the motorway but this was not one of them, absolutely notihng wrong with it.
He himself owned a E39 and so was able to communicate about he difference between the two and he agreed , but they are just different cars set up in a diofferent way. he completly understood what i was talking about but said that this is the way they drive now.
He also confirm that wider tyres will be more sensitive to camber and as you move over different surfaces you can actually feel the camber change but the car still tracks correctly.
he had a couple of tips, ensure that you regualrly monitor the pressures on the tyres to get the best wear out of them and also to avoid potholes as RFTs don't take too kindly to them.
He also noted that the refections in teh windscreen form the HUD and centre speaker - a critism I also had. he said he wasn't aware of any other BMW that was so prone to this. I've got used to it but feel BMW could have done better by removing the centre speaker and doing something to soften the edges of the HUD equipment (or not ident at all on cars without a HUD)

So in summary, car is set up correctly and working as designed.So handling is something I have to get used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

I am getting mine checked tomorrow (a drive with the technician on the motorway)... Let's see what he says....
      07-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

well hopefully the same story!
Appreciate 0