2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Should I grab this 2013 550i?

08-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3

Should I grab this 2013 550i?

Hello everyone I am in need of your help and knowledge. Before anyone says to use the search button, I have done research on the pre LCI n63 engine and 2014+post N63tu engine. I saw some mix reviews on how people feel but a lot of the responses is get the 2014+ for the new LCI and engine. Some people are saying the CCP fixes a lot of the n63 issues. My dilemma is that the price difference is pretty significant from what I have seen and did the fixes really make it the engine have less issues.

I currently found a fully loaded 2013 alpine white 550i with:
M Sport Package
BANG & OLUFSEN
EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE
COLD WEATHER PACKAGe
DRIVER ASSISTANCE & PLUS PACKAGES
PREMIUM Package
Price: $37,799 with about 42,800 miles

I have also been looking for 2014 but its about 47k-50k from what I see with less options.

So my questions to you guys are, How is the price as far as the car that I found and is it worth getting pre LCI to get more and save more? Should I just continue to look for 2014+? Are the problems that bad where I need to be worried?

I would like to keep my budget around that range or I can up it a little if its worth it to get up another year. I plan to buy extended warranty from either bmw or 3rd party. If you guys also have any links to cars I should consider or advice on the pricing of the car, please give it to me. Thanks guys!

Last edited by goldenmeeko; 08-04-2016 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: add more details
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

At 43,000 miles it is just about out of warranty. You better price out extended warranty before you pull the trigger. I think the price is high (IMO because it is white and what need do you have for the cold weather package?) but it is dependent on what compromises you are willing to make.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Hey Meeko,

I have almost that exact car, albeit with a manual transmission. My mileage is pretty similar as well. My factory warranty expires in October, and am likely to purchase an extended warranty. I agree with Trian's suggestion that you get that lined up.

I had the CCP done and have had no issues. Hard to know what the future holds of course, but I have been very happy with the car.

I will say this, I have the B&O system in my car, and it is the most fabulous sound system I have ever had in any car, aftermarket set ups included. Hardly a reason to buy a car. But not a bad thing to consider.

Good luck,

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Hey Meeko,

I have almost that exact car, albeit with a manual transmission. My mileage is pretty similar as well. My factory warranty expires in October, and am likely to purchase an extended warranty. I agree with Trian's suggestion that you get that lined up.

I had the CCP done and have had no issues. Hard to know what the future holds of course, but I have been very happy with the car.

I will say this, I have the B&O system in my car, and it is the most fabulous sound system I have ever had in any car, aftermarket set ups included. Hardly a reason to buy a car. But not a bad thing to consider.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks for the response to both of you. How much have they quoted you on extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

About $2,500.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
FWIW, I am near similar specs..... Everything except B&O and Carbon Met Blk.

I recently had the 40k service and the oil coolant pump had a malfunction and I had all spark plugs replaced as well as injectors on bank 2. I'm sure it was pretty pricey but covered. I've only got 10k miles to go so I wonder if more of the smaller things will go, inciting a minimum of a grand each time at the dealer. Glad I have the warranty.

The previous owner had CCP performed.

The injectors and spark plugs solved my long cold crank issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
FWIW, I am near similar specs..... Everything except B&O and Carbon Met Blk.

I recently had the 40k service and the oil coolant pump had a malfunction and I had all spark plugs replaced as well as injectors on bank 2. I'm sure it was pretty pricey but covered. I've only got 10k miles to go so I wonder if more of the smaller things will go, inciting a minimum of a grand each time at the dealer. Glad I have the warranty.

The previous owner had CCP performed.

The injectors and spark plugs solved my long cold crank issue.
So the golden question is, If you had a choice, would you shell out more cash for a higher year (post LCI) or would you save the money and get the 2013? This is assuming you cannot wait cuz you need the car now. I know some people's answer would be to wait till 2014s go lower.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

golden, assuming it is the car I think it is, looks like a nice car, not sure on its start, carfax is a little weird for first 8k, not a ton of warranty left on it (6 months), but enough to find any issues and get them fixed.
Have not seen too many 2013's with B&O in them in my searches

I would say price is up there a bit, that seems to be CPO territory, so unless its just THE car with THE options, or they are willing to drop a bit, I would pass. By the time you spend the $2500-3500 for extended warranty you are at that $40k mark

I have been on the hunt and borrowed a 2013 from local dealer for a day, learned some of the options that I had been looking for weren't important, theory vs reality kind of thing..
Ended up going with a 2011 with some Dinan goodies on it, pick it up Sunday

If you post what requirements you have I will check my notes to see if any cars match.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

There are thousands of BMW 750s, 550s, X5s, etc that function fine with the N63. It ain't perfect, but they aren't all bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
golden, assuming it is the car I think it is, looks like a nice car, not sure on its start, carfax is a little weird for first 8k, not a ton of warranty left on it (6 months), but enough to find any issues and get them fixed.
Have not seen too many 2013's with B&O in them in my searches

I would say price is up there a bit, that seems to be CPO territory, so unless its just THE car with THE options, or they are willing to drop a bit, I would pass. By the time you spend the $2500-3500 for extended warranty you are at that $40k mark

I have been on the hunt and borrowed a 2013 from local dealer for a day, learned some of the options that I had been looking for weren't important, theory vs reality kind of thing..
Ended up going with a 2011 with some Dinan goodies on it, pick it up Sunday

If you post what requirements you have I will check my notes to see if any cars match.
Matt
Haha the one in SD right? But anyways I would like 2013 or 2014
Must:
M Sport Package
EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
PREMIUM Package

Really preferred:
BANG & OLUFSEN (this one is hard to find so it's not as stapled but I never had a nice sound system so it would be nice)
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE

Take ithe or leave it:
COLD WEATHER PACKAGe
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmeeko View Post
Haha the one in SD right? But anyways I would like 2013 or 2014
Must:
M Sport Package
EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
PREMIUM Package

Really preferred:
BANG & OLUFSEN (this one is hard to find so it's not as stapled but I never had a nice sound system so it would be nice)
LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE

Take ithe or leave it:
COLD WEATHER PACKAGe
Yup that one..
Only other B&O I found was at Texas Direct Auto for $38k, didn't have heated seats, very basic car.
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #12
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Yup that one..
Only other B&O I found was at Texas Direct Auto for $38k, didn't have heated seats, very basic car.
Matt
any other ones that I should consider? any help would be great since you recently searched for one
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #13
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Sorry for my cryptic post. I was trying to highlight the misc small things that go wrong. I think the 2013 is probably one of the best values out there. My opinion is the CCP took care of all the catastrophic failures but I think a warranty is required as any small repair is a high labor visit on these cars.

I think the negativity around the N63 is when someone bought the car new for $80k and then proceeded to have a series of issues that turned them off it. I bought it used with the mindset that I'm getting a bargain so I'm going in with that knowledge. It ain't a Camry.

With your $10-12k price delta, you get 50 more HP and some new goodies. So I don't believe that it's worth the premium when all intents and purposes they are the same to me except if you're drag racing a N63TU F10. You could potentially get a simple BMS Stage 1 and get similar power if you truly wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for my cryptic post. I was trying to highlight the misc small things that go wrong. I think the 2013 is probably one of the best values out there. My opinion is the CCP took care of all the catastrophic failures but I think a warranty is required as any small repair is a high labor visit on these cars.

I think the negativity around the N63 is when someone bought the car new for $80k and then proceeded to have a series of issues that turned them off it. I bought it used with the mindset that I'm getting a bargain so I'm going in with that knowledge. It ain't a Camry.

With your $10-12k price delta, you get 50 more HP and some new goodies. So I don't believe that it's worth the premium when all intents and purposes they are the same to me except if you're drag racing a N63TU F10. You could potentially get a simple BMS Stage 1 and get similar power if you truly wanted it.
Thanks for the input Kraut. I am pretty torn but I am thinking the same as well. Sure the post LCI is great but I dont know if its going to be worth that much when I am not planning to race much. I am just looking for a nice power car to DD. I am pretty open to any listing that people show because I was originally suppose to go a different route but decided to go this route so I am fairly new to researching all this the past 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
mzabbas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC

So if I was in your shoes, I would get it, get the extended warranty and negotiate on price.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmeeko View Post
Thanks for the input Kraut. I am pretty torn but I am thinking the same as well. Sure the post LCI is great but I dont know if its going to be worth that much when I am not planning to race much. I am just looking for a nice power car to DD. I am pretty open to any listing that people show because I was originally suppose to go a different route but decided to go this route so I am fairly new to researching all this the past 2 weeks.
I believe post LCI premium will be irrelevant when the G30 comes out as all of the cars will depreciate more. Us F10 guys may pick out the differences in traffic, but I highly doubt that anyone else will know the difference or even the driving/ownership experience will vary that much between Pre/Post LCI F10. The new steering wheel is "cooler" in my opinion, but other than that, I don't see a huge improvement to warrant a 20-25% premium on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
goldenmeeko
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe post LCI premium will be irrelevant when the G30 comes out as all of the cars will depreciate more. Us F10 guys may pick out the differences in traffic, but I highly doubt that anyone else will know the difference or even the driving/ownership experience will vary that much between Pre/Post LCI F10. The new steering wheel is "cooler" in my opinion, but other than that, I don't see a huge improvement to warrant a 20-25% premium on a used car.
Thanks for the insight Kraut, Ill def keep that in mind. worst case if i want the new wheel ill do a swap haha
Appreciate 0