2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Passing a good deal / experiance (H&R Sway bars)

03-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil View Post
Mine is an xdrive and it fit without an issue!
Hiw big is the difference when making corner turns?
It makes a BIG difference, reduces body rolls drastically.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535I xdrive 2011 (M-SPORT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hiw big is the difference when making corner turns?
It makes a BIG difference, reduces body rolls drastically.
Agree, it is a drastic difference. I was hoping the H&R springs would do the trick but it did not that much. I would say that the bars make more difference vs stiffer springs.

Now I have fun in curves and wish there were more in my daily commute
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #25
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

yeah, i really need to get this done!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #26
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
yeah, i really need to get this done!
Me too... i was gonna go with m5 plus 550d sway bara but this seems like a much better deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #27
delje08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 13 550i, 04 545i

I got these and yes, they made a big difference. My setup with KW V2, was a bit scary on high speed turns. No i feel much more confident.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #28
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delje08 View Post
I got these and yes, they made a big difference. My setup with KW V2, was a bit scary on high speed turns. No i feel much more confident.
Great to hear the this also benefit significantly those on a good coilover setup like you do. I wish there were more affordable coilover for my xdrive but at least my H&R springs serve me well for now... until my shocks start to blow...
BMW 535I xdrive 2011 M-Sport with H&R Springs, Niche Form Wheels 8.5 ET35 / 10.5 ET35, Continental DSW06 245/35 & 285/30, JB4 Map 5, ER Downpipe, Megan Racing Quad Exhaust with Vibrant resonators, M5 Diffuser, Orange reflector shaved and removed xdrive badge.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Ordered mine today.... I will report back once I get them installed.

Anyone know the time frame on how long it takes them to ship these?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #30
msfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 5281

Quote:

About 2 weeks! I order some KWv1 too!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #31
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Ordered mine a Tuesday and received them on the Friday the same week...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #32
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ordered mine a Tuesday and received them on the Friday the same week...
Nice thanks... i cant wait for those curves vwhen i get my sway bars lol.

Bmw sway bars suck on 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #33
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Damn I got mine in 3 freaking days.... that is super fing fast!

https://ibb.co/fzEdFk

https://ibb.co/kF3AT5
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #34
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
see my last post for update 2017-03-27
-------------

Hello guys,

I just wanted to share in case some of you would be interested. Currently in term of sway bars we have the choice of M5 / 550d combo or H&R.

Some are going towards the OEM combo because of the cost vs more expensive H&R but have to live with the M5 front swaybar odd angle. Good news for you, Tunershop (which I am not affiliated at all) got the H&R bars (Front and Rear Combo) for only 392$ so less expensinve compared to the OEM combo....

Yes 392$ for the front and the rears! I ordered mine Tuesday and got them Friday the same week shipped directly from H&R Germany.

http://www.tunershop.com/H_R_Sway_Ba...086489_h4.html

Alexander from Tunershop was very helpful and replied to all my questions without a few hours.

I have not installed yet since I will wait until my next oil change due in a few thousand miles. I will post a product review once they are on the car.
Never get performance aftermarket sways unless you already have coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #35
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
Quote:
see my last post for update 2017-03-27
-------------

Hello guys,

I just wanted to share in case some of you would be interested. Currently in term of sway bars we have the choice of M5 / 550d combo or H&R.

Some are going towards the OEM combo because of the cost vs more expensive H&R but have to live with the M5 front swaybar odd angle. Good news for you, Tunershop (which I am not affiliated at all) got the H&R bars (Front and Rear Combo) for only 392$ so less expensinve compared to the OEM combo....

Yes 392$ for the front and the rears! I ordered mine Tuesday and got them Friday the same week shipped directly from H&R Germany.

http://www.tunershop.com/H_R_Sway_Ba...086489_h4.html

Alexander from Tunershop was very helpful and replied to all my questions without a few hours.

I have not installed yet since I will wait until my next oil change due in a few thousand miles. I will post a product review once they are on the car.
Never get performance aftermarket sways unless you already have coilovers
Why that ? Stock setup greatly benefit from the sway bars as well. I do not have coilovers, only H&R springs and my setup is night/day vs Stock. In fact the sways did the most improvement. I had coilover in my precious car and From experience a good shock/spring combo do the trick but they have to be well matched.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #36
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why that ? Stock setup greatly benefit from the sway bars as well. I do not have coilovers, only H&R springs and my setup is night/day vs Stock. In fact the sways did the most improvement. I had coilover in my precious car and From experience a good shock/spring combo do the trick but they have to be well matched.
H&R springs on factory struts = shit

performance sway bars are only for a real coilover setup, not your shitty springs so also shit.

springs accelerate the wear of your factory struts very quickly + the ride/handling will be shit compared to a real coilover setups. sway bars are ALWAYS the last thing you do to your suspension after coilovers. performance sway bars are not tuned for your factory dampers and it will ruin suspension components over time just like your springs are.

so good job. you know absolutely nothing about your suspension and did some sort of nonsense to it. now dont spread around your lack of knowledge and let others destroy their suspension as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #37
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:

performance sway bars are only for a real coilover setup, not your shitty springs so also shit.

springs accelerate the wear of your factory struts very quickly + the ride/handling will be shit compared to a real coilover setups. sway bars are ALWAYS the last thing you do to your suspension after coilovers. performance sway bars are not tuned for your factory dampers and it will ruin suspension components over time just like your springs are.

so good job. you know absolutely nothing about your suspension and did some sort of nonsense to it. now dont spread around your lack of knowledge and let others destroy their suspension as well.
I trust my mechanic who worked on bmws all his life as a bmw mechanic and every time I tried to do something stupid with the car, he straight up told me and convinced me to not do it.
He didnt say anything bad would happen to my suspension putting aftermarket sways and told me i would see a huge difference.
I fully trust him with his experience from building race cars to workong on bmws his whole life and many other cars and seen it all.

That is good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #38
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

Quote:

Explain how performance sway bars will ruin factory dampers? After market lowering springs have a tendency to do this, because the factory dampers aren't valved or matched to the performance springs. On the other hand sway bars, while working in concert with the dampers and springs have different roles in the suspension. Springs hold the weight, Dampers handle the road imperfections and the sway bars control body roll. Stiffer sway bars allow you to run a softer spring rate with the same results, with a more feel and forgiveness. Furthermore you can tune in Understeer/Oversteer. Also sway bars will not ruin your stock dampers, since the stock spring/dampers combinations is working within designed parameters with each other, the sway bars have no bearing on that relationship.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #39
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked2001 View Post
Explain how performance sway bars will ruin factory dampers? After market lowering springs have a tendency to do this, because the factory dampers aren't valved or matched to the performance springs. On the other hand sway bars, while working in concert with the dampers and springs have different roles in the suspension. Springs hold the weight, Dampers handle the road imperfections and the sway bars control body roll. Stiffer sway bars allow you to run a softer spring rate with the same results, with a more feel and forgiveness. Furthermore you can tune in Understeer/Oversteer. Also sway bars will not ruin your stock dampers, since the stock spring/dampers combinations is working within designed parameters with each other, the sway bars have no bearing on that relationship.
sway bars do not ruin your stock dampers, lowering springs do. but I have heard from more then one different source that aftermarket sway bars are harmful to your suspension components in general. you leave it as the last suspension mod after coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #40
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

Quote:
sway bars do not ruin your stock dampers, lowering springs do. but I have heard from more then one different source that aftermarket sway bars are harmful to your suspension components in general. you leave it as the last suspension mod after coilovers.
I guess that depends on your goals. Sway bars do have a tendency to put more stress on the sway bar mounting points, and most reputable manufactures address those weaknesses in their kits if needed. I don't plan on coilovers, because I don't plan on adjusting my suspension enough to justify it. I have coilovers on my DD and I have touched them once when I initially installed them. A matching strut/spring combo with sway bars is all I really need.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #41
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I was just looking into this very issues since I have an X-Drive. BOTH front and rear fit no problem?

I put the "popular" M5/650i combo on two years ago and while it got rid of a lot of roll, it also added a lot of understeer. I need a bigger rear bar and the H&R looks like a good option.

All of the parts sites, and H&R themselves, do not quote the bars as fitting X-Drive. If I say it's a RWD, the bars pop up with the specific note "2wd only, not Dynamic Drive". If it fits fine why are they so adamant that they won't?

Now - the rear bar is what I'm really after and I don't think the rear end is any different between the AWD and RWD so I can't see why it wouldn't fit, but none of this stuff would be easy to return and I don't want to take chances.

For what it's worth here's some diameters:

Stock front: 24mm (non-sport, no DDC, no ARS, 2011 535xi)
Stock rear: 14mm

M5 front: 29mm (stock +20%)
650i rear: 16mm (stock +14%) <--- here's the understeer made even worse due to front increasing more than rear

H&R Front: 30mm (stock +25%)
H&R rear: 20mm (stock +43%) <--- should reduce understeer compared to factory balance, increasing rear stiffness more than front

Last edited by Surly73; 04-24-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #42
Jayphil
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Quote:
I was just looking into this very issues since I have an X-Drive. BOTH front and rear fit no problem?

I put the "popular" M5/650i combo on two years ago and while it got rid of a lot of roll, it also added a lot of understeer. I need a bigger rear bar and the H&R looks like a good option.

All of the parts sites, and H&R themselves, do not quote the bars as fitting X-Drive. If I say it's a RWD, the bars pop up with the specific note "2wd only, not Dynamic Drive". If it fits fine why are they so adamant that they won't?

Now - the rear bar is what I'm really after and I don't think the rear end is any different between the AWD and RWD so I can't see why it wouldn't fit, but none of this stuff would be easy to return and I don't want to take chances.
No issues / modifications required in my 535i xdrive front/rear
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #43
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
No issues / modifications required in my 535i xdrive front/rear
Thank you for confirming. Did you get your bars shipped to Canada from tunershop? I've just been looking at my options. Their price seems too good to be true....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #44
msfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 5281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Thank you for confirming. Did you get your bars shipped to Canada from tunershop? I've just been looking at my options. Their price seems too good to be true....
But is true.....I even got some KWv1 from them....got it about 10 working day after they ship it....but it's weird that you do have to pay tax on the bars (about $30.00 usd) but I did not receive any on the KW's!
Appreciate 0