2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Cheap Ebay Strut Tower Bar Review

03-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #23
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
The reason I got the k&n intake was because of the heat shield due to the intake design on our cars. I think open intake design works better on 335i's unless we go bmwdoubles style custom intake. I guess a good test would be if you running aftermarket intercooler then do some WOT runs and tell me your outside temps vs WOT temps.
The intake design on our car does not heat soak the intake air, I don't know where this myth started. Heat transfer is not instantaneous, it takes time. If your car is moving, the air moves so fast through your intake system it has zero time to absorb any noticeable amount of heat. The K&N heatshield is there primarily for cosmetics, so you can see the filter cone, and sound.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #24
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
The intake design on our car does not heat soak the intake air, I don't know where this myth started. Heat transfer is not instantaneous, it takes time. If your car is moving, the air moves so fast through your intake system it has zero time to absorb any noticeable amount of heat. The K&N heatshield is there primarily for cosmetics, so you can see the filter cone, and sound.
don't you think cutting the heat shield on the K&N compromise the intake now just to have the strut bar? i'm now bouncing the idea of which intake to get now
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
don't you think cutting the heat shield on the K&N compromise the intake now just to have the strut bar? i'm now bouncing the idea of which intake to get now
Stick with stock. As you're binging YouTube, watch the many videos on aftermarket intake performance. I believe Engineering Explained also has one (would you believe that guy's like 50!?!?!)
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
It was WAY more than just the deadening. First of all I had thick washers below the mounts for the bar from the install of the coil overs that I had left there, I couldn't even get one side of my hood to even do the initial click... we are talking 2" plus away from where it needed to be.

To get clearance I:
  • Removed the washers
  • removed the sound deadening
  • changed the arch of the bar
  • moved the air filter forward so the bar sits behind it
10-4. With me still being completely stock, it sounds like I should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #27
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Heat doesn't need to transfer. From what I can tell if you have hot engine bay exposed then open intake is sucking in that hot air directly.... Unless I am thinking this the wrong way and open intake won't suck in heat from engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Stick with stock. As you're binging YouTube, watch the many videos on aftermarket intake performance. I believe Engineering Explained also has one (would you believe that guy's like 50!?!?!)
haha yea! you can see his grays coming through! he did have good test on the K&N drop in filter
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
haha yea! you can see his grays coming through! he did have good test on the K&N drop in filter
I think according to k&n their intake provides up to 15hp and torque.

https://www.autoanything.com/air-int...BoCjJcQAvD_BwE

Look at the graph.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

https://www.autoanything.com/air-int...BoCjJcQAvD_BwE

Look at the graph.
I was gonna get that one but not if the strut bar is going to hit it
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #31
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was gonna get that one but not if the strut bar is going to hit it
Yeah... I might sell this one and go stock with k&n drop if my tuner agrees.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are the key words. Zero is still "up to." I had a FilterCharger on my last car; claimed "up to" 15hp. No difference, other than a nice intake sound. I've also had the panel filter; again, no difference. Were it that cheap and easy to add power the manufacturers would do it. There's a ton of engineering that goes into a vehicle's intake; both for economy and power. The benefit of the panel filter is never having to buy a filter again. Then again, the oil in the K&N (mainly after cleaning and overaggressive oiling) has been known to foul MAF sensors.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are the key words. Zero is still "up to." I had a FilterCharger on my last car; claimed "up to" 15hp. No difference, other than a nice intake sound. I've also had the panel filter; again, no difference. Were it that cheap and easy to add power the manufacturers would do it. There's a ton of engineering that goes into a vehicle's intake; both for economy and power. The benefit of the panel filter is never having to buy a filter again. Then again, the oil in the K&N (mainly after cleaning and overaggressive oiling) has been known to foul MAF sensors.
So shit! Sounds like it's best to leave it stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #34
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
What have you done to test and proof you saw no power gains? Any dyno result you got that proof this? Or you just saying by how the car feels? Because I highly doubt you would feel a 15hp difference in a 350+ hp tuned car unless it is Dyno or timed.

By the way it would be that easy for BMW to just bump the power you get from stage 1 tune without adding anything to the car but they didn't. So just because of EPA a manufacturer didn't push extra power or added a high flow filter doesn't mean it has no benefit.

Also, K&N says 100,000 mile before clean up, yeah that is stupid to do but by the time this filter requires cleaning you can just buy a new one which is still cheaper than buying a BMW filter.

Last edited by ziekxq; 03-19-2020 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What have you done to test and proof you saw no power gains? Any dyno result you got that proof this? Or you just saying by how the car feels? Because I highly doubt you would feel a 15hp difference in a 350+ hp tuned car unless it is Dyno.

By the way it would be that easy for BMW to just bump the power you get from stage 1 tune without adding anything to the car but they didn't. So just because of EPA a manufacturer didn't push extra power or added a high flow filter doesn't mean it has no benefit.

Also, K&N says 100,000 mile before clean up, yeah that is stupid to do but by the time this filter requires cleaning you can just buy a new one which is still cheaper than buying a BMW filter.
Any tune has the probability of shortening longevity and reliability. That is the only reason I'm staying stock; I want this car to last as long as possible.

I just butt-dynoed it. I did a back-to-back comparison; not scientific at all, but I couldn't tell a difference outside of the sound. The intake sounded like a vacuum cleaner; that was nice! It sure wasn't $300 nice, though.

There are also many YouTube comparison tests; with dyno results.
To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #36
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Heat doesn't need to transfer. From what I can tell if you have hot engine bay exposed then open intake is sucking in that hot air directly.... Unless I am thinking this the wrong way and open intake won't suck in heat from engine bay.
Stock is a closed system. It takes in air from the kidney grille.

Quote:
What have you done to test and proof you saw no power gains? Any dyno result you got that proof this? Or you just saying by how the car feels? Because I highly doubt you would feel a 15hp difference in a 350+ hp tuned car unless it is Dyno or timed.

Oh, I'm sure if you dyno'd it it would show some gains. Would you feel it? Absolutely not. Would it make any measurable difference in real world use? Absolutely not. Dyno numbers for things like this is for suckers. The only thing that matters is if you feel it or not

But I mean, it's your money, you can do what you want with it and believe what you want
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #37
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Stock is a closed system. It takes in air from the kidney grille.

Oh, I'm sure if you dyno'd it it would show some gains. Would you feel it? Absolutely not. Would it make any measurable difference in real world use? Absolutely not. Dyno numbers for things like this is for suckers. The only thing that matters is if you feel it or not

But I mean, it's your money, you can do what you want with it and believe what you want
When you got PS2 every extra bit of hp counts. At that point it doesn't matter if you feel little extra power from the intake or not because you going for power as a hole in that case. Even 'Engineering Explained' did a comparison on a slow ass Subaru and it made a difference and that was with a drop-in filter. Even if it means .1 or .2 seconds on a 1/4 mile it can make you win or lose.

I also saw throttle response benefits.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #38
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
When you got PS2 every extra bit of hp counts. At that point it doesn't matter if you feel little extra power from the intake or not because you going for power as a hole in that case. Even 'Engineering Explained' did a comparison on a slow ass Subaru and it made a difference and that was with a drop-in filter. Even if it means .1 or .2 seconds on a 1/4 mile it can make you win or lose.

Don't forget the sound!

I'm still sold on the intake in behind the kidney grill... more air, more sound, less heat.... win win win!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #39
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I wrote hole instead of whole lol. But Unspec the first thing you quoted me on, I was typing with BrowBMW's intake in mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #40
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Comparing the subaru to our cars is a bit too subjective of a test to draw any conclusions. They're two entirely different cars, they're designed very differently, what might be true for the subaru might not be true for us. I still seriously doubt that the stock airbox is the point of restriction for PS2 and power in general. The culprit is more likely to be in the ducting of the stuff after the airbox, hence why the ram style intakes actually have noticeable improvements.

Throttle response is also way too subjective to be indicative of anything. But hey, like I said, your money! If you're chasing that 1/100 of an ounce of performance and that makes you happy, go for it man.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #41
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Comparing the subaru to our cars is a bit too subjective of a test to draw any conclusions. They're two entirely different cars, they're designed very differently, what might be true for the subaru might not be true for us. I still seriously doubt that the stock airbox is the point of restriction for PS2 and power in general. The culprit is more likely to be in the ducting of the stuff after the airbox, hence why the ram style intakes actually have noticeable improvements.

Throttle response is also way too subjective to be indicative of anything. But hey, like I said, your money! If you're chasing that 1/100 of an ounce of performance and that makes you happy, go for it man.
Both are turbo changed DI. The concept is the same. But now let's get back to topic and talk about the strut bar.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #42
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both are turbo changed DI. The concept is the same. But now let's get back to topic and talk about the strut bar.
no let's talk about the intake
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just because they're both turbo charged DI doesn't mean the intakes are designed the same

The subaru one could very well flow a significantly smaller amount of air, hence why the lowered restriction helps. I get you're trying to rationalize your purchase, but using an apples to oranges comparison to prove your point is a bit of a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #44
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just because they're both turbo charged DI doesn't mean the intakes are designed the same

The subaru one could very well flow a significantly smaller amount of air, hence why the lowered restriction helps. I get you're trying to rationalize your purchase, but using an apples to oranges comparison to prove your point is a bit of a stretch.
Actually it is quiet the opposite. I don't really care because I am enjoying my purchase and it actually made a difference. All I have heard is assumptions from you so far. K&N even posted a Dyno, which I have linked in this thread with significant gains on stock 535i.

Also, I want to go back to my point of BMW could have pushed stage 1 tune power out of the car without any issues. Your said it is a reliability issue yet people are pushing north of 500whp without any issues so extra 50hp is proven to be reliable. A RAM style intake shouldnt have any effect either if there is 0 air flow restrictions from BMW intake design.

You trusting a company with their intake design yet they lie about their power figures. You talk like you were sitting there when BMW was making their intake design lol. Also, more air flow is more air flow and just by looking at stock filter you can tell how restrictive it is. And I am comparing a DI system against a DI system of same design air to air. Now if I was comparing air to air vs air to water then that would be a different story.

Last edited by ziekxq; 03-20-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0