2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 Mufflers Install

04-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
M5 Mufflers Install

Hello. First post here. Just bought a 2014 550i xDrive CPO and I love everything about the car but the exhaust tone (especially for a V8).

I love the M5 exhaust tone, mean but subtle as a daily driver with a family to drive around. After reading through the posts here, it seems like best option in terms of cost, tone, and most important to me - ZERO DRONE (at least according to everyone who has installed one) - the M5 mufflers are the way to go. I'm also considering a Dinan if one comes up for sale. Either way, all I'm doing is axle-back - not looking for downpipes or removing the resonator or cats.

As I look for a set of M5 Competition Package mufflers, I've scoured through the forum to help me understand what I need, but I still have some questions.

1. How much of a difference is there really between the regular M5 mufflers vs the Competition Package?

2. If I'm going axle-back with just the mufflers (which is what I'm doing), I don't need to be concerned at all with the M5 cross member that has been mentioned here as needed, correct?

3. The valves on the M5 mufflers are on opposite sides of the 550i stock exhaust. Do I need any piping extensions to connect with the M5's mufflers?

4. The 550i mufflers have hooks on the rear of the muffler for hanging. The M5 mufflers have it on the pipe instead, but in the opposite direction. When folks say the M5 mufflers mount with no issues, how is this possible?

Parts Needed:
  • M5 Mufflers (obviously)
  • M5 Rear Diffuser (Part #51128050480)
  • M5 Bumper Trim-Insert (Part #51128038981)

What if any other parts do I need to order?

Final question, people have said that the M5 and M6 have identical mufflers, but the tips definitely have a different design. Is this really the case?

Appreciate any and all input.

Last edited by spielnicht; 04-30-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht
Hello. First post here. Just bought a 2014 550i xDrive CPO and I love everything about the car but the exhaust tone (especially for a V8).

I love the M5 exhaust tone, mean but subtle as a daily driver with a family to drive around. After reading through the posts here, it seems like best option in terms of cost, tone, and most important to me - ZERO DRONE (at least according to everyone who has installed one) - the M5 mufflers are the way to go. I'm also considering a Dinan if one comes up for sale. Either way, all I'm doing is axle-back - not looking for downpipes or removing the resonator or cats.

As I look for a set of M5 Competition Package mufflers, I've scoured through the forum to help me understand what I need, but I still have some questions.

1. How much of a difference is there really between the regular M5 mufflers vs the Competition Package?

2. If I'm going axle-back with just the mufflers (which is what I'm doing), I don't need to be concerned at all with the M5 cross member that has been mentioned here as needed, correct?

3. The valves on the M5 mufflers are on opposite sides of the 550i stock exhaust. Do I need any piping extensions to connect with the M5's mufflers?

4. The 550i mufflers have hooks on the rear of the muffler for hanging. The M5 mufflers have it on the pipe instead, but in the opposite direction. When folks say the M5 mufflers mount with no issues, how is this possible?

Parts Needed:

Final question, people have said that the M5 and M6 have identical mufflers, but the tips definitely have a different design. Is this really the case?

they are not identical, they are close. I have cat back M5 CP exhaust and there was some mods done. axle back you should be fine if the muffler shop is good. valves are the same side. there will be some splicing wires for the electrical stuff in the M5 bumper insert. basically everything is moved from the passager side to the driver's side.

There are plenty of threads and members here that will help you out.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
macastel1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post

Parts Needed:

I an exactly in the same situation as yourself but with a 2015 550ix. Did you find out any answers?
Appreciate 0