2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 vs '5 competition for F10 550ix

07-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
macastel1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 550ix

M5 vs '5 competition for F10 550ix

Hello:

Looking for some help. I want to upgrade the sound of my 2015 550ix by changing the axle back to a OEM M5 or M5 competition.

I am sure the answer is this forum but i cannot find it after hours of searching.

What are the differences between the 2 (m5 and 5 competition Package) axle back?

I found that the CP has black tips and it always has the valves open. But are they the same diameter? Any difference in installation? Or performance?

If the only difference is the valves being open (and therefore the more aggressive sound), can I just get the the regular M5 exhaust and wire the valves open or install a exhaustmeister to get the same results?

Please let me know, I am trying to buy the axle back exhaust from a member but I need to know the difference before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

(See you st bimmerfest east!)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Competition doesn't always have the valves open. The competition exhaust has the baffles removed inside the cans. The FULL competition exhaust doesn't have perforation in the resonators (resonator delete) and that's where the majority of the difference in sound comes from compared to the regular exhaust.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 07-21-2017 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
macastel1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNGNCE5 View Post
Competition doesn't always have the valves open. The competition exhaust has the baffles removed inside the cans. The FULL competition exhaust doesn't have perforation in the resonators (resonator delete) and that's where the majority of the difference in sound comes from compared to the regular exhaust.
Thanks, very stupid question: are the resonators part of the axle back set up?
If they are not, then the only difference in sound is the lack of valves in the CP?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macastel1 View Post
If they are not, then the only difference in sound is the lack of valves in the CP?
No the resonators are not part of the mufflers. The CP mufflers have valves, don't know where you seen that they didn't. They also open and close just like normal mufflers, the only difference is CP mufflers have the internal baffle removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
macastel1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No the resonators are not part of the mufflers. The CP mufflers have valves, don't know where you seen that they didn't. They also open and close just like normal mufflers, the only difference is CP mufflers have the internal baffle removed.
I guess I thought the baffle and valves were the same. Not it makes more sense. Thanks.

do you recommend going with the CP or regular? Or its a matter of personal preference?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
I guess I thought the baffle and valves were the same. Not it makes more sense. Thanks.

do you recommend going with the CP or regular? Or its a matter of personal preference?
You honestly can save a lot of money by deleting the muffler and achieve a similar sound to CP. I have the full CP exhaust on my 550 but ended up selling the mufflers and just deleted the mufflers altogether.

CP mufflers are usually over priced on the market. If you want, you could find a cheap set of regular mufflers and have a shop remove the baffle themselves, it's just insulation.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
macastel1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You honestly can save a lot of money by deleting the muffler and achieve a similar sound to CP. I have the full CP exhaust on my 550 but ended up selling the mufflers and just deleted the mufflers altogether.

CP mufflers are usually over priced on the market. If you want, you could find a cheap set of regular mufflers and have a shop remove the baffle themselves, it's just insulation.
I think I found a local guy with a full m5 exhaust. I am negotiating just the axle back parts (hopefully he accepts)

So to remove the baffles the shop just opens the "cans" and remove the insulation?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
I think I found a local guy with a full m5 exhaust. I am negotiating just the axle back parts (hopefully he accepts)

So to remove the baffles the shop just opens the "cans" and remove the insulation?
Yeah, if the shop is willing to do it
Appreciate 0