2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Comfort+ Driving Dynamics Mode: The Unappreciated and Overlooked

03-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #23
rayhwc
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I know quite a few laugh at, even scorn the softer setting, as if inappropriate to a BMW. I use all the modes, according to my roads and my driving mood.

What I found to my surprise (having the wagon and rear air self-levelling suspension) when loaded at cruising speeds, it rides better than when empty. I anticipated more float and vertical movement, but in fact it rides much flatter and controlled than expected. In really does ride with a near magic carpet like ride quality out on our motorways.

Even through bends the car still has good composure in the comfort modes, ARS being the 'master' at controlling the body roll.

HighlandPete
I have the same car and concur. Actually I even find it uncomfortable in comfort mode with just the driver. Way too floaty. Gets better when loaded. One would have thought the self levelling suspension would have been able to detect the loading and compensate accordingly. We are a spoilt lot, aren't we.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 02:20 AM   #24
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I dont have Comfort+ either, but Eco-Pro instead.

I do have DHP, but I have an M-performance car so perhaps they did not bother with increased comfort on that line of cars since it differs a lot from the standard cars.

I use comfort regularly and I'm quite happy with it.
I have my car set up like this.

Sport+
Sport (suspension active, but not engine/drivetrain)
Comfort
Eco-Pro

I drive in sport most of the time, as it is similar to comfort, just with the changed suspension setting and heavier steering.
Comfort is used in the city and where there are speed bumps ect.

If I use Sport+ I hate the transmission, so I change it to manual and use the flappy paddles for shifting. There is no way I'm driving around at 2500rpm in auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #25
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I have a 2013 M550 with DHP and I have Comfort+ and no eco pro. I think they changed it for the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #26
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
I have a 2013 M550 with DHP and I have Comfort+ and no eco pro. I think they changed it for the LCI?
If you're in NJ USA you don't have the M550d, but 550i M-sport I assume, but I though all F10 had eco pro after 2012.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Are you sure? If so, what's the coding value to set it to remember last setting (ie SPORT)? Whenever I've seen this question come up before, was told there was no coding option to set the driving mode to remember SPORT, though it could be set to ECO PRO. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Checked my car today and it did default back to comfort mode, so I guess you're right. Doh!
Coding can either be set to always turn ASS (Auto Start Stop) off or remember last used setting. So if coded to remember last setting, the car will have ASS on/off accordingly.

Another set of coding can enable the car to Always start in ECOPRO mode. This is different to the coding above.

As a default (no coding); the car only remembers Comfort+ mode.

If the car is in Comfort+ mode when you turn it off, it will start in Comfort+ mode next time.

If the car is in any other mode (i.e. EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+), it will default to Comfort each time you start it.
      03-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #28
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
If you're in NJ USA you don't have the M550d, but 550i M-sport I assume, but I though all F10 had eco pro after 2012.
Yes, I tried to kind of shortcut say that I have a 550 m-sport. Also, no eco pro, or ASS.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhwc View Post
I have the same car and concur. Actually I even find it uncomfortable in comfort mode with just the driver. Way too floaty. Gets better when loaded. One would have thought the self levelling suspension would have been able to detect the loading and compensate accordingly. We are a spoilt lot, aren't we.
BMW cars always run better loaded in my experience. They are designed as such (load and speed) all things considered.

The F11 wagon with its air springs, will (when empty) have a lower spring rate, adjusting to a higher spring rate as load is added. I like that myself in all modes, as running an empty wagon on steel springs (as in the 3-series) is typically too firm when empty and fidgets and jiggles on anything but a smooth surface, transforms when loaded.

It is the fact that even in the most comfortable mode the suspension still works better when loaded, is what surprises me.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0