2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media My 2010 Havana/Zimt 525das

08-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #23
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G31 530d

Thanks.

I think there are a few reasons why most people only deaden the doorpanels in BMW's.

First, there is the location of the speaker. In most BMW's it is bolted to the doorpanel. And the most important area to deaden is the panel on wich the speaker is bolted. So you always start with that panel and you go from there. So for most BMW's that's the doorpanel.

Second, on most BMW's the doors itself have some decent deadening on them from the factory. When you slam a BMW door it feels a lot more solid then when you slam a Honda door for instance. It's because on the BMW more deadening is used on the door itself from the factory.

Third, BMW uses only 4" drivers in the doors. They cause a lot less vibrations then a 6,5" driver for instance. So they need less deadening to begin with.

I don't say one wouldn't benefit from deadening the entire door in a BMW but advantages are smaller then when you have a car with a 6,5" midbass bolted directly to the metal of the door.

In my case I only had bitumen deadening laying around the house when I did this. And this is known for it's poor heat resistance. It's not advisable to use this stuff on the outer metal skin of the car. In summertime these panels get really hot and the bitumen could melt and start running. If I would have got butyl deadening laying around I probably would have done the doors as well. But in the end, sound has improved a lot by only doing the doorpanels. It's possible I will do the rest of the doors later on with butyl but I think it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference anymore.
Appreciate 0